So I gave my friend my I7 8700K....funny story

Well its not hooked up to the i7 8700K anymore and it was only setup that way for maxium for maybe 2 hours due to the above mentioned issues. His GPU is a Nvidia 1070TI ROG Strix card. The PSU came with a Pre-build he purchased back in 2009/2010 so it does have some age on it but it wasn’t running 24/7.
I’d have to say it was a work horse, it came from an Ibuypower pre-built he bought back in 2010

The CPU at the time was an AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 CPU (4x 3.40GHz/2MB L2 Cache) and 2x ATI Radeon HD 5870 GPUs (Crossfire).

It was a beast back in the day, built by CWT, with performance equal to offerings from other OEMs like seasonic and delta. Its also been around so long that it would be teenager if it was alive. I would recommend something like the Corsair cx550 or 650w since your friend has a limited budget. It has a good main cap, rated at 40c, DC-DC design with a LLC resonant converter, and also made by CWT. The modular version of that unit end in a “M” like cx550M but lack the LLC resonant circuit. Personally I would take the better unit over the modular cables and zip tie any non-used cables. Regardless, that’s just one example of many solid units out there for a good price (considering the time) and I would definitely move on from that thermaltake unit.

Im going to probably going to use it as unit for my retro build for playing the original Doom, I got a SLOT-1 board and a socket 370 and ISA Original Sound Blaster 16 I might put it into. Hard to say.

If end up not using it I may just sell it on Ebay or something, someone there always for looking for old cruft.

My friend has my backup Corsair RMX1000 which is overkill, He’ll use it for now until he gets a job and can buy one that will fit his power needs a bit better.

1 Like