So, Human and Orc Heritage armors are finally revealed

They could have never lived up to everyone’s expectations no matter what, with years of anticipation like this. I think they look totally fine.

1 Like

Because the armor plate hovering above the shoe not only looks stupid, but would be a massive flaw in the armoring? How does that work sir?

None of Wrynn’s armor floats over his shoes, theyre attached and flow together to make sure nothing can easily penetrate the obvious weak point.

2 Likes

Look at varians foot in WoW

And then look at his foot again in heroes of the storm

They “float”

That’s where that idea came from

3 Likes

Wish the human one got a fuzzy belt rather then what we got.

1 Like

Ooh! I really like the orc Set, the Human set is kind of Meh to me. Sadly because I have a few Human characters.

Huh, for giggles and teehees I decided to look up the Grand Armored Wyvern mount and it’s the same color and theme as the Orc heritage. At least it’ll match.

1 Like

I think both are alright but the Orc one is better because it’s more malleable.

With the human set: If you wear it, you are a Stormwind warrior. There isn’t much else you can do with it.

With the Orc set: You could easily use this for several different themes. It doesn’t pigeon-hole you as much.

Furthermore, the individual pieces—which are more important than the full set imo—will be easier to mix and match with other mogs for the Orcs than the human one.

Human set: 4.5/10

Orc set: 7.5/10

Definitely can not wait to rock with the Orc Set.

2 Likes

The orc one has so many straps and exposed skin. I love it.

2 Likes

Both are kind of on the nose or the races tbh. Nothing we haven’t seen before. And nothing overly outside of the box.

It’s a shame that Blizz’s idea of “heritage” is what we tend to most directly see in game.

If they had gone back into lore, and made the Human armour reminiscent of their Vykrul heritage (humans descending from the “weak” children birthed by the Vykrul) that could have been interesting as it would go further back than the kingdoms.

Instead of the rather generic plate, something Northrend Vykrul themed could have been quite interesting.

2 Likes

It’ll probably look better on the males, ngl.

2 Likes

Gonna try to avoid generalizing either heritage set as “good” or “bad”, and instead give specific feedback:

What I like:
The Orc set

1. I really enjoy the fact that most of the straps and ropes across the orc’s chest are 3d assets. I think a couple are painted on, but the 3d ones look real nice.
  2. I can’t see it from all angles, but the belt seems to be a sort of a kilt-ish, draped fur.
  3. Definitely feels “savage”
  4. 3d fang/tusk necklace!!

The Human set:

1. I cant see it from all angles, but the belt seems to be kilt-ish, like draped chainmail
  2. The shoulders are nice and remind me of the Skybreaker airship

What I don’t like
The Orc set:

1. I know it’s a meme that orcs have big shoulder armor, but that shoulder skull is MASSIVE. Like, distractingly so, in a way that will probably clip through everything during any animation.
  2. The helmet, shoulders, gloves, and boots are very “metal” and seem to have a different theme going from the more primal furs/straps of the chest, legs, and belt. Personally, I don’t like the contrast.

The Human set:

1. This set was made for humans, and yet it seems like several pieces are too big for the female human model shown in the screenshot. The helm and boot armor are the biggest culprits here.
  2. Low-res texture on the pants and armstraps
  3. I wish the chainmail rings were themselves 3d assets. The orc uses a combination of painted-on and 3d straps/ropes, whereas all the chainmail for the human is painted on to another texture.
  4. I sincerely thought this was the Arathi warfront mail set when I saw the screenshot. It’s very much not unique from other sets currently in game.

Final impressions
Orc Set: I had really hoped for a bona-fide Blademaster ensemble or WoD Durotan-style draped wolf furs for the orc set. To see yet another spiky metal set in light of so many other iconic orc looks that aren’t currently available is… disappointing. However, I think if you removed the shoulders and the helm and use a long hair barbershop look, you could get a pseudo-Grom Hellscream thing going here. Overall, I wish the overall direction of this set was something else, but I think that pieces of it are salvageable into a pretty cool transmog, and it generally does feel “orc”. I would suggest that more color tints for this set would be beneficial.

Human set: I don’t feel like this set has much of a direction, or even a personality. I admit, however, that I don’t know what direction they could have gone. The Stormwind guard set is already in the game; and there are different variants of knight sets already. Perhaps they could have given us something inspired by Anduin’s lion-helm armor in BFA, or Khadgar, or Arthas, or even other human kingdoms entirely.

Overall, I wish these had been something else, but I’m glad to be getting heritage armor. The orc set has cool aspects and is redeemable; the human set really needs something to give it an oomph factor.

4 Likes

It wasn’t exactly a popular idea prior to today.

Oh, that’s a new one. “They couldn’t pull something original out of thin air, so they should’ve just put it on the backburner.”

After humans and orcs, there are 6 more races without heritage armors, only 2 of which are Alliance-exclusive. Every race is getting their own eventually, not something like allied races where they could only squeeze in so many during one expansion.

I sorta disagree with your analysis because the heritage armor is supposed to make your character fit into the modern world of Azeroth, not the far far history of their heritage. Most of them are based on WC3 which I think is good because it goes back to the roots of the game itself. I really like these sets. Its a good break from the cheesy glowy over the top raid and pvp sets. And lets you just be a Human guard, an Orc grunt, a blood elf Shieldbreaker, goblin bomb squad member, etc. But in high quality so you’re not scrambling to find racial identity without looking dumpy.

1 Like

They could’ve gone for a deep cut like King Thoradin. Maybe for orcs, a take on Orgrim Doomhammer’s set? (One without ugly quest-green-quality shoulders <.<)

Or you can look at my achievement and seen I did.

Not sure what you were trying to say here.

2 Likes

The leg armor for the human is my biggest complaint. Otherwise I like them. Wish they made two for each given their importance. A Warrior and a “elementalist” vibe for orcs, and a knight and a scholar/wizerd/priestly set for humans.
But outside the leg armor for humans, I like them.

4 Likes

This is my feeling pretty much. The leg armor is distractingly bad quality but the rest I think is really cool.

1 Like

I’m on the fence with the human one. On one hand yea it looks like human armor, but we already have so much Stormwind stuff I wish they had been more creative and made something different.

Not a fan of the Orc set. The belt is cool but I wouldn’t use the other pieces. It’s reminding me of Revendreth and I just want to forget SL ever happened. :rofl: