So how did your decade go

I was 11 at the start, so things have been pretty wild. I got my first games console, got into MMOs, fell out of love with MMOs. Went from hating reading to loving it then to not having enough time for it. Been in 3 different friend groups. Got straight A’s, then nearly failed a class I needed to graduate high school. Spent a summer thinking about killing myself, started seeing a therapist and patched things up. Got really into politics and now have a love/hate relationship with it. Started collage and got terrible grades, took 1 class a semester until I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Lost a grandfather to cancer, had a grandmother survive breast cancer. Younger brother graduated community collage and I’m still there. Oh and even though I’ve had a job for 3 years I’m still coming to terms with the fact there’s… not really anything stopping me from walking off in the middle of a shift and never coming back. It’s nowhere near bad enough that I’d do it, but after 15 years in public schools, it’s weird to have that freedom.

1 Like

It was bumpy at first, finished college in 2011 but struggled to find work in my field for the next two years after. Working at walgreens mega sucked knowing I had a degree that was collecting dust and steadily becoming worthless the longer I didn’t use it. Ended up getting my first real Xray/CT technologist job at a hospital in my college town after kissing up to the new head of the department (who was a teacher that liked me in school).

I was living in a crappy part of the state (Texas) and hated it the whole two years I was there, but the experience to put on my resume was invaluable to finding work in a city I actually wanted to live in later.

I’m closing out the decade feeling like I’m still far behind schedule for my long term plans. Turning 30, but don’t own a home, have a pathetic retirement fund, and just generally feel like the next decade to 40 is going to be a big game of desperate catch up while being swallowed alive by rising rent prices. But at least for the moment I make good money, live in a city I want to be in, and the possibility that I might actually be able to catch up doesn’t seem like a day dream, so that’s nice. Definitely ended better than it started.

3 Likes

Cole just died ICly…so I’ve got that going for me. Which is nice.

3 Likes

My decade was interesting.
Learned a lot of stuff. Seen and met so many kinds of people.
Especially past 5 years was most interesting and sad years, since I started hanging out at downtown all night with my friends. My parents didn’t like it but was good experience for me seen so many things, some scary stuff but it was a lessons for me.

3 years ago my dad was diagnosed as a final stage of pancreatic cancer. It has been rough but he’s still putting up a good fight now.

And this year I dropped out of university. Simply because I thought the money and university systems not equal.

Even now I go to downtown every weekend drink with my friends who I’m proud to call a family. Always we’ve got each others back whenever I’m depressed or in some kind of trouble they were always there for me, and I do the same.

Earned a lot of things I care forever.

1 Like

10 Likes

[slow heavy metal music playing]

2 Likes

Still here, so it could have been a lot worse.

1 Like

Better than dying, but not by much.

1 Like

In 2010-2019, I:

• Finished college.
  • Worked for state government. Quit.
  • Shaved my head and worked for a circus. That was an experience.
  • Scraped rock bottom of the barrel and came back to tell the tale.
  • Couple relationships that didn’t work, but they’re good people and doing well.
  • Lost my grandfather - that was rough.
  • Cut ties with my old man.
  • In process of buying a new car.
  • Work in a warehouse and I LOVE it.
  • Turned 29 last month and in the best shape of my life.

So yeah, more ups than downs, but it’s been a surprisingly good decade.

1 Like

Had better decades I suppose, had worse too.

Graduated High School, that’s nice. Got my drivers license. Being able to drive is neat. First job went well for a few years, though the manager was an unpleasant witch of a woman.

Got to move out to California for a while, that was pretty fun, if… expensive.

Came back. Less fun than living out in California, but not waking up in the middle of the night to the ground shaking was pretty swell.

Worked a few different jobs since coming back - local grocery store, walmart, mcdonalds… now here I am, at a hotel on night shift, on my laptop when I could probably be working instead. xD.

3 Likes

Pretty good except for going bald :rofl:

3 Likes

Pretty trash honestly. I was ten years old in 2009 so I have obviously changed a lot, having grown to the age of twenty now. I don’t usually open up about this sort of thing, but like 3 people are probably going to see it, so what the hell.

Elementary school was pretty bad. I bounced between schools a lot because every school I went to thought I had a severe learning disability on account of really bad ADHD. I ended up finishing elementary school at home. I asked my mom why she didn’t medicate me for it (now that I know I have it), and I sort of respect her reasoning.

Middle school was also pretty bad. I bounced around a lot and barely managed to pass in the 8th grade. Keep in mind, I don’t think I had a severe IQ deficit or anything, just ADHD still hindered my education pretty drastically. I got good grades on the work I actually bothered to do, which wasn’t much. I got a 0 on a progress report once because I just didn’t do anything.

High school was really bad for me. I did part of my high school at home with online classes but then I started going to public school. I just didn’t have the social skills to maintain relationships, and on top of that, I had really bad ADHD which made me kind of an outcast. I didn’t know I had ADHD at the time, but it made things really bad for me because I just generally acted out and couldn’t really relate with anyone.

Oh, also I had (and still have) a really noticeable, ugly scar on my neck from a surgery I had when I was seven, so that painted a big target on my head for bullies. Fortunately the worst (physical) thing that happened to me in that time was getting a full soda can thrown at me at a urinal. They missed.

To this day I think that is the saddest I have ever been. I eventually dropped out and finished high school at a community college (not GED, the college I go to had a program to get a regular diploma so I did that.) Now I’m in actual college and it feels kind of unreal, because to tell the truth I had kind of decided that I was probably going to kill myself before I got out of high school (my original public high school.)

I think I’m a lot happier now that I’m out of that situation, but everything since has kind of felt unreal. I know that doesn’t make much sense, but every time I think “hey dude you’re in college now, and going to transfer to an actual university” I just feel really weird. Probably because I’m actually an adult now, and have gone from being treated like a child to an actual grown adult.

ADHD still hinders me greatly (I have a tough time focusing, even on the stuff that I really enjoy doing, like roleplay) and I am looking into getting medicated for it. I hope the 2020’s are better for me.

3 Likes

Finished college.
Moved out of parents house.
Dumped a physically and emotionally Abusive ex.
Quit crappy job. Got better one.
Got into a new healthy relationship.
Pregnant and sorta-pseudo engaged.

Keep in mind this all happened over ten years. All in all things are great!

2 Likes

I’d say I am very content with the direction of the past decade personally. Married my amazing wife, met mentors that would change my life and just recently scored the job with my city fire department I’ve been aching for for years now. Here is to the 20s.

2 Likes

Supported a family when I wasn’t ready to.
Lost a best friend.
Lost a great grandparent.
Lost a grandparent.
Lost another best friend.
Gained a spouse. Is new best friend. (Been together about 11 years, but only married recently. >>)
Finally got a fulltime job that I can describe as “Not a terrible place to work. On the upside of 'average.”
Learned how to make my own alcohol.
Gained a lot of ground in fighting to improve my mental state.
Lost my insurance, pretty sure I won’t be able to afford new insurance.
Finally started on that book I’ve been wanting to write.
Lost my truck. Still trying to save up for another vehicle.

Not a terrible decade.

1 Like

High school sucks. Going to college rocks because suddenly you’re all adults who don’t care about what anyone looks/talks like and just want to do well.

I cannot stress how night and day getting meds is for ADHD. I have been the lucky one. Out of four children, I am the only one who hasn’t needed them. But for each of my siblings, I saw huge improvements with them and their schoolwork. Same goes for antidepressants.

There is no shame in taking medicine to improve your mental health.

2 Likes

Hooah!

Come Sail Away was prolly my favorite song. They treatin yall alright over there?

I did mine with alcohol. A ton of Beam, ya dig?

People have a hard time accepting the writing and voice of an angel. Don’t give up! I’m sorry you lost your pup. I had to help mine cross the rainbow bridge a couple of months ago. It gets… manageable.

This is hella real right here, got dang. I’ve been through the marriage and divorce a couple times but my grandpa’s too stubborn to die, my one night stand kept our son that I didn’t know about until he was 2, and ya gotta replace Canada with Maryland.

Hell yeah, brotherrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Keep that up. You’ll make the 2020’s a phenomenal one, too.

Dang, homie. Where you at now? You’re a boss, though. You got this. Dominate the now and 20’s. I got you.

…also I just realized I’m replying to people from a week ago. While I adore you all, I feel like some of my questions may have been answered, and I don’t know if everyone would appreciate my hella long post if I kept going. Just know that I will drink some Beam in yalls honor tonight, and you’re always on my mind.

3 Likes

Real life sometimes has a way of kicking people in their teeth. Just gotta roll with dem punches.

2 Likes

Same! /10chars

2 Likes

Every decision made was the wrong one. I’m going to do the exact opposite of my gut instinct from now on.

1 Like