So, How are Venthyr Hunters Doing in PVE? (July 2021)

Wowhead still rates Venthyr as a third tier Hunter covenant; and rates their Pouch of Razor Fragments legendary as worthless. But I think this guide hasn’t been updates since the legendary was buffed up to 60%.

Icy Veins views Venthry a little more favorably and rates the Pouch of Razor Fragments as BiS. But I think even that guide was written before the last round of Hunter buffs a couple of weeks ago.

And both Wowhead and Icy Veins rank Hunters towards the bottom in SoD…

With all that said… So, how are Venthyr Hunters doing in PVE these days? Did the buff to the legendary and the latest round of tuning make any difference in covenant choice and DPS rankings?

Check out the “Venthyr Lego is Garbage” thread. Do not take the title to heart, one player (Furvival) has made very good use of the lego, running as SV as well. It seems you need crit, a lot, about 35% to make the lego work for you. But She(?) is making it work.

I am built for the NTA, but I need to look to swap as the build is great, in Sanc there are fights I cannot even use a trap on the boss. (Eye!) Also a few other fights are hectic, but doable. I would like to try the Pouch build because I could also use it in M+ and I would not have to switch up talents to get it to work, unlike the NTA build where I need a codex.

They suck of course! (vampire jokes are corny and overplayed) Ironically they’re doing alright, joke not withstanding…

1 Like

I haven’t played Venthyr, but I can say that I am VERY happy with Antlers for Night Fae. As long as it’s 4 targets or less, it’s massive, and gives BM a true burst window capability. If you can talk yourself into a power infusion during WS, you are going to have a huge smile on your face…

1 Like

Yeah…for m+ Night Fae is still bonkers. It’s not just the power and legendary, but Korayn is also absolutely busted for m+. I was honestly surprised he didn’t get nerfed this patch when they retuned some of the other soulbinds.

I haven’t tried Kyrian yet, but a lot of people are happy with them since the buffs.

I don’t pvp much, so can’t comment on that.

I played a Night Fae Survival hunter last patch and rolled the Venthyr Survival to get ready for this patch. Yes, I think you do gain some single target with Venthyr, which helps our main weakness, but Night Fae contributes a ton to our strengths.

Yeah vampie bois are pretty trash for PvE unfortunately. On pure single target fights it’s not terrible, but any more than one target and it falls far behind wild spirits. Was running normal Sanctum with my guilds alt group this weekend, was keeping up with the NF hunters on guardian and painsmith for instance, but any fight with adds they’d blow past me. Looking on the meters usually wild spirits would be their number 2 or 3 on damage, it makes a huge difference.

For PvP tho, and this is my PvP toon, holy cow is venthyr amazing. Getting those juicy 10-15k kill shot procs feels so good. It gives us some nice burst to land kills, albeit uncontrollable burst, but it’s still some solid burst. And it does make the spec a little bit more engaging, in having another button to press, another dot to track and procs to use, and god knows this spec could use a few more buttons lol.

I cleared Heroic Guardian earlier tonight and was second place in dps…just 200dps behind a MM hunter. Some of my Kill Shots hit for over 22k.

Thanks for the replies!

It’s sounding like for PvE, the Venthyr legendary still just doesn’t cut it. I was hoping the emo vampires would get better. At least the Night Fay are “bonkers” with their new legendary. I think I’ll flip over to them and give it a try.

The venthyr legendary is good.

I just glanced over at Wowhead’s BM Hunter guide. They still rate Fragments of the Elder Antlers as, “Do not craft”. Interesting. Guess you can only trust the guides so much.

Icy Veins does seem to be more up to date. They rank FotEA as top tier just below PoRF for both raiding and mythic+.

I honestly now believe that you have to set yourself up for the lego you are using. The Venthyr pouch requires crit. Without it, it does nothing. With it, its a force. The guide does not tell you this.

The same can be said for the NTA build and WFC build. The NTA build requires you to use the other talents. I have tested this and sim it, and does make a huge difference. The only issue I have with the NTA build is that it is ST only. M+ and packs you can do, but it falls so far behind its not worth doing in those scenarios.

Fair points. The guides are a starting point. Experimentation, simming and research are needed to figure out what works for your desired playstyle.

Yup, like I said pure single target fights like guardian venthyrs not bad. But any fight with cleave phases, which is half the bosses in Sanctum, wild spirits will be far better.

leans in and whispers “Uh, that’s a lady Vorkai…”

1 Like

Venthyr on a whole is behind for AOE compared to NF, but not to the point I would drop the Vamps and jump to fairy land. For M+ WFC does great, and honestly I think Pouch would do ok as well as you still have the WF talent.

DO NOT REFER TO THE WOWHEAD GUIDE!

The author quit playing hunter and the wowhead guide has suffered badly. Icy Veins is legit source these days.

1 Like

Well now…I wondered why the two seemed to differ so much.

Thanks for the info.

I can never tell these days.

1 Like

I had an entire conversation with Marastar yesterday for 3 hours before I realized it was Mistcaller… and nobody likes Mistcaller…

That makes so much sense! I can understand how the two might be slightly different, but when they’re telling you the exact opposite, returning players such as myself get really confused! Thanks!