So, even more servers when the existing servers don't have enough pop

So, they’re opening fresh servers for Wrath, which is fine I guess, but I’m concerned that there aren’t really enough players for the servers they do have. 6 months after wrath releases we’re going to have the same situation we have for many current BC servers.

And with the devs set firmly against cross server instancing I’m not sure this game will have much longevity. People aren’t here to role play town criers.

They are closing like 30 servers

3 Likes

I believe as long as they don’t put too many fresh servers in, it’ll be fine.

2 Likes

do you have a source for that? I haven’t been paying attention to WoW recently and may have missed it.

Just go on wowhead.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/burning-crusade-classic-realm-consolidation-coming-august-9

1 Like

Not enough. There are still dead PvE servers that they havent done anything with yet.

OP, it’s literally in the Blue post about fresh servers that they’re closing a bunch of servers.

Close 20 and add…2? And given that Wrath will possibly (definitely if there’s dungeon finder) add a lot of new players, seems reasonable.

1 Like

What do you recommend?

Take away a choice for players to play where they want just so the server you’re on feels more alive?

Open up cross server instancing. Right now, in TBCC. Carry that over to WoTLK-c

Sir, this isnt retail.

1 Like

You don’t really understand how the server populations function. I’ll explain some things so you can learn something.

1. Not many new players are jumping into classic since 2020. It was inevitable that many realms gradually started to die over time due to player attrition.

2. Returning players aren’t going to want to jump into the game and play on a lowly populated realm even if that realm exists. It’s hard to find groups and guilds on low populated realms and it’s very risky decision to choose and play there if you want to do end game content.

3. Wrath is right around the corner. Returning players for wrath aren’t going to join small servers. They’re all going to go to the mega servers. Leading to que times and high turn over rates because of players frustrations.

4. Fresh servers are desirable for a number of reasons and not the same as all ready established server.

5. Mega servers are the way. They protect you against fair weather players who aren’t really there for end game content. Smart players knew this from the beginning. Overly idealistic players went to smaller populated realms and suffered the consequences of it.

SO long as blizzard only releases a very small number of fresh servers they will be successful. If they release too many it’ll spread the player base too thin you’ll see dead realms. Blizzard should release no more than one of each type of server. No multiple pvp realms, no multiple pve realms, just one pve and one pvp and that’s it. If that do that everything will be fine.

Removing servers was the first step in making fresh servers better. Too many inexperienced players join any old realm and it leads the population to get spread too thin leading to many bad realms.

Not asking for LFD, but I’m curious, do you think there is currently a population problem in many servers and that, after the intial rush of wrath, that won’t be the case in wrath as well? What is your solution?

My solution, and my guilds, was to wait for free transfers, take them, and now ride it out.

Yes, Blizzard failed to protect players from themselves, no, that doesnt mean bring in retails failed designs and systems.

Everything you said is exactly what I’m worried about.

I’m not against fresh servers and I understand the allure, but I’m concerned about the ability to play. This is a game that requires other people to play and not just any people but people doing the same content you are. It’s easy at launch of a new expansion and it’s probably easy, at frist, for any fresh server. But over time characters tend to group at the top level, leaving the rest of the game barren.

Have access to the entire wow population to consume that content seems ideal.

If only Wrath had a new system that provided precisely that…

1 Like

It’s stupid to open more realms when there aren’t people for them. It’s extra stupid to make new wrath realms when wrath is already getting all the crusade realms. Crusade is what actually needs a realm. It will have NO REALMS when wrath comes out. I don’t plan to stay in crusade either way, but I don’t like Blizzard screwing those players over. Soon your only option will be a crap classic, a crap retail, or wrath. If you want crusade, that’s too bad!

One PvP, one PvE. What else do you need?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.