So beta invites were random? right

There was nowhere that Blizzard said they were random. Not once. People are just saying they were supposed to be random to try and justify their hate for those who got in right now.

And not just that, but a bunch of the streamers aren’t normally streamers, and are just doing it BECAUSE they got beta

Where did “random” come from? They never said that everyone had an equal chance. They specifically said that we don’t.

While opting-in to the beta is the primary way to make sure you’re in the running to join the test it doesn’t guarantee an invitation to the closed beta test. We may also consider additional factors such as how long a player has been subscribed to the game so that we have the right mix of players to ensure great feedback toward making WoW Classic the very best experience for the community.

(Priapis) #22

They said random, with certain weighted factors, AND hand picked.

Where? I’ve not seen that word in anything.

(Priapis) #24

I’m interpreting automated as random here as I doubt they prefilled a list of future list of people to invite as time goes on.

An automated system will add new testers to the WoW Classic Beta Test as necessary.

They need to ban you for a week. Go away

Lets go 2005 players invites! Whoot

That would be the problem.

The post is talking about the fact that you will automatically be issued an account for the Beta, which is the trigger for that account appearing in your Launcher.

As opposed to the original method where you were issued a string key, and you had to enter it into a web page to enable your account to use the Alpha/Beta. This post is basically boilerplate spam from every alpha/beta for many years.

Behind the scenes there will be a list, which people are added to. The automated process’ job will be to take each name and automatically issue those Beta accounts.

The list itself (and this is partly supposition) will be both existing list fed, (streamers, media, friends and family) and criteria bucket fed. There will be some chance of random, where someone will say “I need 10 Vanilla accounts” and then randomly pluck 10 accounts out and add them to the list. Then “I need 10 BfA only accounts” and randomly pick 10 of those and add them to the list.

However I doubt they’re too far into that yet, and so the bulk of people have been hand selected intentionally.

(Ackaus) #28

Gotta advertise and sugar coat everything. They (and their buddies) got beta invites and I bet not one of them says ANYTHING negative about ANYTHING…part of the deal. Just "business’’ …lol

Well said.

It is selection by who best fits the criteria they’re targeting.

When all other things are equal and the number of slots they’re assigning is fewer than the number of people who match, it becomes random.

However, that selection criteria can be arbitrary for any number of reasons.

Automated systems are capable of being able to process things on more than one criteria. Otherwise the USPS, UPS, FEDEX, and every Air Port on the planet would be employing a bunch more people than they currently do.

(Priapis) #32

I’m aware of this, that’s why, when I read automated, that I view it as random.
It’s easy for them to tell an automated system to look for X criteria and populate a list randomly based on those criteria and then send out an invite randomly for someone that meets the criteria they need.

Well, then imagine they had a list of “Media influencers” with X slots assigned.
They had “Friends and Family” with Y Slots assigned
They had “MacOS users” with Z Slots assigned.
They had “Windows 7 users” with E slots assigned.
Then they had “Vanilla WoW Users” with L slots assigned.
…and so on.

People are capable of being on more than one list until selected. So seeing a “significant” number of streamers(never mind they’re high profile by nature, so their total share of the population may be larger than it appear) isn’t something to be entirely unexpected.

(Priapis) #34

It’s also possible they hand picked them for the free coverage. I’m totally for this. It doesn’t bother me at all.

Or just assigned a comparatively large number of slots to influencers for the first round.

I was not a streamer, but I did beta test vanilla before launch in 2004. And lead a guild from day 1 into all the vanilla raids. So either I got lucky or that had something to do with it.

I was streaming today for the very first time ever, at the request of my guild. Check me out if you want, I’ll be on every time I am online (about 6 hours a day)

Netalya - on Twitch (again I’m new to streaming but feel free to ask questions!)

the crummy thing about them using a criteria and randomly selecting people from those is the fact I am sure theres lots of people like me who had there original accounts stolen by hacker had no way to get them back so instead of a vanilla vet I look like a legion looky loo who played legion for a week and then quit again o well I will stay subbed because I am so happy blizzard is putting out classic but I do not think I will have a chance getting into beta

I tuned into a stream this morning, I won’t say who, and heard him say this, “No, I wasn’t subbed. I wanted to give it a shot so I sent a message to Blizzard’s PR people and they hooked me up.”