So about Fire Mages and Ignite

I just respecced Fire since I got the fireball tome in AQ20. I was apprehensive because I’ve been comfortable with Frost for a long time and I love me some Ice Barrier. But I love the damage. Unfortunately, I don’t get how ignite works very well.

I got this from a website that attempts to further explain it. (TLDR warning for you potatoes that can’t read for more than a minute; I don’t understand how ignore works.)

-If you crit again before ignite finished dealing all of it’s damage, a stack of ignite will be added and the dot timer will be reset.

So this means that multiple ignites can exist at once?

-Ignite will stack up to 5 times.

I get the feeling that this doesn’t mean there will be five dots placed if there are five consecutive crits… right?

-Ignite will tick twice, at t=2s and t=4s. 20% of the crit’s damage each tick.

… I don’t understand what this means. :confused:

-The total damage from ignite is credited to the mage with the highest ignite-generating crit on the mob at any given time.

So if I’m with another mage who has more SP and we both crit and his crit is higher… I don’t get ignite? Or my ignite damage goes to him? :confused:

-This mage will lose credit when that ignite stack completes its damage OR when another higher damage crit is applied to the mob.

I’m so lost…

-If a new crit is applied to 5 stacks of ignite, that crit will reset the ignite timer and replace either the oldest or lowest damage stack of ignite on the mob, unclear which.

Calgon take me away!

-It is possible for a fireball crit with one tick already completed to be worth more than a fresh scorch crit, thus opening up a small chance that one fireball crit can earn one mage 6 seconds of ignite credit rather than 4 iff the concurrent scorch crits are on the low end of the damage range.

I give up.

Do you all understand this? Is this even English? Where am I? What’s going on?

I should have looked at the combat log in hindsight, but when I did ZG yesterday for my first time as a fire mage, I had back to back fireball crits; one was 1700 and the next was 2500, and I saw ignites reflecting both of those 40%s in the coming seconds.

So… thoughts?

Fire mages alone: weak
Fire mages together: strong

2 Likes

The stacking mechanic means that multiple applications of the same debuff will occupy the same debuff slot. Winter’s Chill is a stacking debuff; hopefully you’re familiar with that.

One Ignite can ever exist at any given moment of time. However, that one Ignite can have up to 5 stacks. Just like Winter’s Chill.

One dot, doing the combined damage that the 5 individual dots would have done.

The “t=#s” notation means at time # seconds after the initial crit. Imagine if the original crit happened at time 0. At time 2 seconds afterward, the first Ignite dot tick would occur. And at time 4 seconds afterward, the second Ignite dot tick would occur. It’s a more technical way of saying that Ignite’s dot ticks (does damage) every 2 seconds.

Your Ignite damage goes to him.

It’ll make you look worse on the damage meters compared to what you should be credited with. More importantly, all the threat will be credited to him, which can get him killed if he pulls aggro.

Ignite stacks up to 5 times. That means that only 5 fire crits can ever contribute to Ignite’s damage at any given time. If a 6th fire spell crits while that 5-stack Ignite is applied, one of the 6 crits won’t be contributing to the following Ignite damage.

1 Like

so what you’re saying is…

mages together strong

1 Like

I am familiar with Winter’s Chill, but the difference is that WC doesn’t leave a DoT; it’s just raising the odds of getting a crit. So how Ignite stacks is a bit unclear to me.

But upon further reading…

So with back to back Scorch crits, the first dot will do the damage from the first crit, but the second dot can conceivably do the combined damage from both crits? And that’s what it means to stack, right? And therefore…

So if three fire mages crit at the same time (hypothetically), the first dot that ticks is 40% of all three crits, right? So if all three crit for 2000, then the first ignite tick is 2400? That’s pretty cool.

Good to know.

I understand it much better now (assuming my understanding of it is accurate.)

Thanks!

I don’t mean to derail discussion but you should join the mage discord. There are many resources and experienced players that can offer you the resources you need to better your play.

1 Like

Thanks. Got a link? I’ve really only recently gotten into using Discord. My location has made it tricky but in the last month or so I’ve managed.

https :// discord.gg/ kmayqB - Can’t post links, but remove the spaces and you’re golden.

The ignite damage is spread to everyone on logs but the aggro goes to the initial crit person, which is why there’s a call to stop casting fire spells until the ignite drops off. Unless that mage dies.

Fixed.

1 Like

Great info. Thanks everyone!

Fun fact. Ingnite used to stack indefinitely until it was ninja nerfed.

1 Like