Snippets (Hopefully-Daily Free-Flow RP Bits!)

A slow, sloppy smirk hit his face as he could feel the emotions shift behind him as he rounded the alley’s corner into the now flowing crowd of various people now surrounding him. His initial fast step slowed to match the crowd of people he had slipped into, as his nimble hands already pulling at his clothes.

Just a handful of seconds, and he would be golden.

“H-hey… Wait a damn second! This isn’t what ya think it is! Fake, I tell ya! This ain’t real at all!! T-that guy made-” The whining voice is overspoken by the explicatives that were uttered. The owner’s snarling voice echoed out in a growl. It seems it had shut up the Worgan that he had just left. Fates luck be with that scumbag of an acquaintance, whatever fel-forsaken end he would face. Though, he knew it would be all alone, since he didn’t plan on joining him. Though, he doubted the slick fellow would just take the roll of the die laying down. He wouldn’t have either.

‘Just a few more moments.’

He pulled off his overlaying shirt, revealing a more commoner garment under the suave vest that had seemingly melted off his chest. A hand to a hidden pocket he had, and a few more objects added to his ensemble.

“B-but, he’s getting away too! H-he’s involved in this too!! H-his fate should be just as bad as y-you plan for me! Y-you should… Erk!”

“I said… Shut it! Rock, Pell, go find this bastard’s ‘friend’ so they can bond together in whatever our superior has in store for them.” The grating voice like a sharp blade grinding granite almost sent a shiver down his spine.

A brief spike of adrenaline washed through his body as the beating feet of the goons could be heard coming out of the narrow passage onto the main path. He could tell by the singular rhythm of racing limbs that they had split. He forced himself to look forward with a dull look as he finished his adjustments. One last change…

The stocky yet agile female bodyguard pushed through those around him, elbow knocking suddenly into his back along with others as she bellowed at them to get out of the way, glancing them over quickly before her eyes met his own. The hat he had just been slipping inside a secret pocket in his pants slipped out tumbled on the path.

His eyes widened in slight fear, almost glancing at t he hat before forcing himself to meet her gaze.

If she recognized him or his particular hat from before, all his work would have been for naught. She was, after all, good at her job from how she had sliced that one man’s head clean off when she had been sent to provide him and his previous companion ‘guidance’ on their last mission for their ‘cause’…

Dre liked expensive things. The flashier the better. His former home had been as glamourous as Silvermoon and full of the good taste of Dalaran. But living in the lap of luxury was a tad boring. Collecting pretty things had made Dre complacent. And Dre hated lethargy even more than he hated cheapness.

So when he’d been invited to a meeting with Umbric, he immediately accepted. And not just because the Magister was hotter than Lor’themar Theron on a good day. Dre hoped to hear he was to be among those selected for leadership among the Ren’dorei. A small part of him also hoped the meeting was to be a private one in which he could finally make a move on Umbric, but that was not the case.

Dre knew Alleria Windrunner had been working with Umbric to train the elves of Telogrus, but he had yet to work with her personally. He was surprised to see her standing beside the Magister.

She bowed as he entered. “Sinu a’manore, Sanindreios. Umbric has been telling me of your progress in mastering the lure of void’s whispers.”

“Please. Call me Dre.” He returned the bow to the woman but eyed the man standing next to her as he rose. “My progress would be nothing without the training of my most excellent teacher.”

Umbric seemed to not notice the subtle shift in tone when Dre complimented him. “No, Dre. Your technique of capturing the voices when you dream is most innovative and quite a few of the others have taken to following your lead. You’ve impressed us.”

“Very much so. In fact, we have a proposition for you.” Alleria smiled and Dre finally looked at her. His thoughts slowly shifted from the idea of one conquest to another as he considered which area of leadership he would be given.

“I am happy to be of service, my lady.” He decided to ask Umbric to join him for a glass wine to celebrate later this evening. “Ask of me what you will.” His eyes were back on Umbric.

“I am quite pleased with your commitment, Dre. It’s why I recommended you when Alleria asked about those we can count on.” Umbric smiled and Dre’s thoughts turned toward the night’s promises.

“Your name has been heard by the ears of Stormwind Keep, Sanindreios. And that is where we are sending you. Congratulations! You are to be among the Ren’dorei who venture forth to Azeroth.”

It took Dre a moment to fully comprehend what Alleria said. His mouth opened but shut again when he couldn’t seem to formulate anything coherent.

“I dare say you’ve dumbfounded him, Alleria.” Umbric clapped Dre on the shoulder. “We’ll miss you, Dre, but Stormwind deserves your talents.”

Dre strove to keep his countenance assembled in one piece. He was being sent away. Away from his home. Away from all his things. His thoughts of Umbric turned sour. How dare the elf send him to that backward land of humans and other short people. Surely there would be no one there who could possibly appreciate the finer things.

Randarel, lord of House Vendross, gazed over over his city from the balcony of his chambers in the Nighthold, and was content. He sipped a glass of wine, taking in the sights and sounds of the city in the evening, even though the seemingly eternal darkness that permeated Suramar made it difficult for most outsiders to tell the time. But for the Nightborne, they knew.

“Begging your pardon, lord arcanist.” He turned his head only slightly; it was one of the Nighthold’s attendants. “Three have come from Silvermoon to request an audience. Two wear heavy armor with black tabards.”

Probably Nor’taeron and Kirenna, he mused. But who is the third? “Send them in,” he said finally.

“Yes, my lord.” The attendant bowed his head. He waited for a moment before he heard the heavy footsteps. Sure enough, it was Nor’taeron Sunblade and Kirenna Summerlight, the Blood Knight Masters who had volunteered to train the new recruits for his House Guard after Sylvanas’ loyalists had corrupted or killed most of his protectors. He had been lucky to get the two seasoned warriors, experienced as they were in modern combat. As they were all children of the Highborne, he welcomed shal’dorei and sin’dorei alike to serve if they were willing.

He noted the third with them, a golden-haired girl who sported the typical green eyes, rather than the golden ones sported by the two Blood Knights. She wore a simple robe of Thalassian pattern, and looked rather ill at ease. So he decided to begin with the others. “How goes the training?” he asked them.

“Some of them need a lot of work before they make the grade,” Kirenna replied, “but the potential is there. I brought over an old friend of mine from the Farstriders to handle those who are more inclined to bows, crossbows, and the like… for guns, there’s this goblin I met in Zandalar who’s trying to become a dinomancer, but being a goblin, she’s more in tune with firearms than most in the Horde.”

Randarel chuckled. “Just so long as the recruits don’t shoot themselves in the foot, or the goblin doesn’t blow up the estate.” He pondered for a moment. “Master Velade expanding her expertise beyond simply working with Telisa?”

Kirenna nodded. “She’s probably one of the few of their lot that I can say I trust. Kind of a surprise to me.”

“To me as well,” he admitted. “I am convinced that she is not engaging in some kind of deception… she has been subjected to enough of it, I can see why she wouldn’t partake.” He tapped a long, slender finger on his chin. “Potential magical recruits?”

Kirenna grinned slightly as she glanced at her comrade, who looked somewhat… hesitant. “Master Sunblade may have a candidate in mind, my lord.”

“Would that be the young lady trying to hide behind you, Nor’taeron?” Randarel smiled warmly as she awkwardly gazed over his shoulder - the one that didn’t have a rather large wing protruding from it. “It’s alright, young one. I don’t bite. Much.” He appraised her for a moment, then glanced at the other Blood Knight. “Your sister?”

Nor’taeron nodded, turning to her. “Nadiya.” He gently brought her forward, so Randarel could fully see her. “Even though I was more interested in swordplay, and she was always in the library… studying history and cartography, as well as magic, we’ve always been close. We’re twins, you see.”

Randarel’s eyebrows rose; twins were rare in elven families, but not unheard of. “You’re trained in the magical arts?”

“Not… exactly, my lord,” Nadiya said in a quiet voice. She was shorter than her brother, and looked almost… embarrassed.

Randarel pondered for a moment, then looked over at the two Blood Knights. “Leave us, please.” Nor’taeron and Kirenna, their expressions telling him they understood full well, held clenched fists to their hearts as they bowed, then silently left. He took a seat, gesturing to the one next to him. “Not exactly?” he asked, as he poured two glasses of wine.

“I didn’t get a chance to finish.” Nadiya sat down carefully, accepting the wineglass he offered her. “I had started before the Second War… lot of studying to become a Magister. I didn’t even have my own teacher, I was in a class with a bunch of other apprentices. When the Scourge invaded, Taeron took me from the Magisters’ Terrace and we fled by boat. We ended up hiding in the Ghostlands… how we lived, I have no idea.”

Randarel repressed a shudder. He had seen the Ghostlands, and he couldn’t imagine how anyone could live off the land there now, much less at the height of the Scourge invasion.

“I have been able to hold my own - I can hurl fireballs as well as the next girl, but I know I can do better.” She sipped her wine. “I know I still have a lot to learn. When Taeron said that we’d made friends with another city of elves who were like us, but ancient like the night elves… when he came to help train your guard, he thought it would be a good idea if…” She broke off, as she saw him nodding. “You mean you…”

“I think I might be able to teach you a thing or two, yes. And perhaps learn a thing or two as well… after all, we learn until we die, whenever that might be.” Randarel smiled. “The first rule of knowledge, Nadiya, is realizing there are things you don’t know. By admitting your limitations and hoping to surpass them, I’d say you’re off to a promising start.”

1 Like

((A homeless bit of RP, since the plotline moved in a different direction then I first expected. So, here this goes! Probably happened at some point, just not recently. ))

“Well, what do you expect? He was a magister!”

Keelath followed her into the library. She had fled here to get away from the staring eyes of the Doomguard. She knew by now that most of them were kind and wouldn’t remark on her panicking, but she still didn’t want them to see her breaking down.

Normally she would have welcomed Keelath’s presence through this, but at the moment it was just a reminder of her own confused feelings–another person to fight the misconceptions of, before she could even come close to the misconceptions she was holding onto herself. “Don’t say that, Keelath,” she squeezed past the lump in her throat. “It’s not right.”

“Why?” He navigated around a couple of stacks of books to get closer to her. He honestly didn’t seem to notice he was frightening her. “Hasn’t it always been the case it’s one of them to blame for the problems of our society? The greed, the imbalance of power–”

Mirium put her hands up and backed away from him. Obligingly, Keelath finally stopped, watching her with just a little confusion crossing his face now. It was his way, she knew. Leap first, look later. She usually loved him for that; she couldn’t blame him for it now. And she couldn’t blame… “I don’t blame his profession for what Talthan did to me, Keelath. It’d make just as much sense to blame it on the fact he was a man, or blame all humans for Arthas’ role in the Third War.”

There was a sound from behind the bookshelf at her back, like something had fallen off the shelves. Mirium was too overwhelmed to pay much attention to it.

Keelath hesitated more. “There are some who would, you know. There are women who hate all men for the one or two who violated them…” He winced before he went on. “…as there are elves who hate all humans for what Arthas did to them–what their negligence allowed during the Second War.”

Mirium shook her head, taking a moment to dry her face since Keelath was staying put. “And there is nothing in common with any of that but the shape of their ears. You can’t tell me a round ear makes a person inherently cruel, Keel.” She looked away. “I don’t understand this comparing of suffering you’re doing anyway. The humans had enough to deal with. They also were massacred and raised into undeath. Who’s really so surprised they didn’t have time for us?”

“Not me doing it.” Though he also looked away, as if ashamed. He licked his lips. “I suppose it is always easier to blame another than wonder what about you might have caused an attack–”

“–rather than just say, there are things in life that are bigger than us, that we’ll always meet when unlucky enough. Keel, if our people had lived somewhere else, it would’ve been those others living in Quel’Thalas who’d been massacred. More humans, or the Wildhammer dwarves–”

“You can’t say it is wise to just assume luck or a location is all it is!” Keelath protested. “What kind of tactical sense is that? I heard about the breaching of the warding runes. That was deliberate! And what kind of arrogance is it to put the safety of the kingdom in the hands of one greedy magister, who of course turned out to be a traitor–!”

“A magister, again, Keelath? Or a person? A bad person, but a person. I don’t think there are any other magisters who’d condone what Dar’khan did.”

“Well, if they did, then I’d kill them.” Keelath huffed.

“Maybe,” said Mirium, still looking away.

“You wouldn’t?”

“No. Because…because there’s likely some reason–some rational reason–that had them thinking that was a good idea, Keelath. You can’t just assume things like that.”

“You put rather a lot of faith into the rationality of mortals,” Keelath returned stonily.

“Not faith… E-experience. There’s always a reason, Keel! Maybe one that the person turns around at some point in the future and agrees was misguided, and that is the best outcome. But if they hadn’t believed in that reason then, they wouldn’t have gone to the lengths they had. No one would.”

“But how…” He was listening to her, but he seemed a bit lost.

Mirium took a deep breath. “The reasons don’t have to be of careful thought. Maybe they were scared. Maybe they were desperate. Maybe their rage at a hurt done them grew and festered until it became a need for revenge. Or maybe all along there was some other need, going unmet, that no one had listened to before.”

Keelath went very quiet. When he didn’t reply, Mirium lost the edge off her nerves, stepping forward and folding into him, as if begging he forgive her for speaking her mind so strongly. That bothered Keelath more than anything else she had done, and he turned so she couldn’t hide in him completely. Yet, her movement gave him another thought, a clue to the puzzle she has presented him.

“I’ve always thought of tactics and battle as if I would always have the strength I needed,” Keelath said slowly. “With magic, our supply lines during the Troll Wars were never unduly threatened. There was always more help to call in from home.”

Mirium looked up at him, and he looked down.

“Those supply lines were maintained by magisters. And I suppose it true, if I had had to fight without them, I would have been much less effective. Less generous, even, with my troops…cruel perhaps…in how I gave out my own powers and resources to them, in their times of need, in turn.”

“Hurting, desperate people hurt others,” Mirium said gently. “But beyond just…putting them out of their misery, it makes most sense to help them not be desperate, doesn’t it?”

Keelath shakes his head. “No. No, that’s not quite true, as you’ve just shown me. Arrogant, ignorant people also hurt others. But it’s madness to believe that everyone who’s hurt you is either one or the other. Talthan wasn’t desperate. Tyrric wasn’t ignorant. You have to read the battle before you know what kind of troops to send to best counter the threat, yes? Not just…assume they are one way or another because they are wearing robes–like a magister’s.”

Mirium blinked a few times, and her eyes went swimmy when she realized what he was really saying: a shy admittance that she was right. But so was he, in his own way. Her mother had once called them two sides of the Light’s single coin, and it was times like this one when Mirium most recognized that and understood.

She stood on tiptoes to kiss the end of Keelath’s nose. “I would never blame you for what Talthan did, Keelath, even if you have the same powers or are the same sex as he. I’d never blame anyone for that but Talthan.”

“What about yourself?” Keelath said, remembering her earlier struggles with just that question.

Mirium grimaced and shuddered. Her voice broke when she spoke. “Maybe. Maybe there was something I could have done… Been less stupid, or less trusting…”

“Or maybe the battle was just sheer luck, and all the attempts to shame yourself into common sense are useless,” Keelath finished smartly.

She sighed, relenting on the awful memories, and nodded into him, looking unseeingly through his chest. “I imagine there’ll be some things I’ll be changing in my approach as I go forward anyway,” she admitted quietly. “But mostly, it was something to learn from…not something… to assume I was damaged goods from all along. That’s the main lesson to this.”

“I’m glad of that,” Keelath said, putting his arms around her and giving her a squeeze. “That you can come to that mindset. I think it’s good for you.”

Mirium nodded. “Me too.” She tapped him on the chest. “You taught me that, you know. Maybe strength is oblivious or maybe it’s feigned or taught, but I get nowhere going over and over it in my head. I either do the thing and what will happen happens…or I don’t.”

“Don’t let the fear stop you.” Keelath agreed with a nod.

“Unless it really would be wiser to be stopped.” She grinned softly and hugged him again, and this time he let her in fully, satisfied she wasn’t clinging to him to hide from her fears, that he knew she’d have to face eventually, with or without him around to help.

“Eyes wide open,” she murmured into his chest, as if to punctuate the sentiment.

“Unless you wish to take the sword to your face.” Keelath completed the saying, quoting one of their Blood Knight drill-masters.

Mirium chuckled weakly. “Look at that. There’s more wisdom to these military drills than we knew.”

“Than you knew,” said Keelath slyly. “I always knew it, because it was my profession! Say what you will about the military, but us true warriors think alike.”

Mirium whacked his shoulder. “Oh, and I suppose you’d last long out there without your healer, Mister True Warrior?”

“Probably not,” Keelath admitted.

Mirium chuckled again, more freely, at the chagrin on his face. “I’m not angry. …and I’m not angry at Talthan, anymore. So I don’t want to hear bad about him just to placate me, though I know you just thought it would help. I want to–to study the tactics. So if he comes at me again, I can face him. Without wild emotions getting in the way.”

Keelath nodded slowly. “Then allow me,” he said. “I’ll teach it if you want to learn, but learning to fight doesn’t come without bruises, you know. Are you certain you are ready?”

“Does anything come without it, truly?” Mirium asked softly, as she broke away from him and led the way back to the barracks.

“That’s life for you,” Keelath agreed lightly, relaxing now that she seemed to be over her panic. Mirium glanced back to him as they stepped through the door, giving her answer by linking one hand in his.

“That’s life for you,” Tyrric repeated quietly, looking down at the book he’d nervelessly dropped and almost given away his position, earlier in their conversation. Now that Keelath and Mirium were gone, he let it slip again–along with the tears that had been building behind his eyelids.

3 Likes

The soft notes carried in the quiet woods, guiding Lanveris’s footsteps even if he didn’t know the way. Tasavel sat upon his porch, long wrinkled fingers plucking out the melody on his guitar.

“Sara’hel, wasn’t it?” Tasavel peered at the younger elf as he approached. “Which one again, Lanveris or Kaelenis?”

“Lanveris. You have an excellent memory”

He grunted and set the guitar aside. “It’s my body that’s failing, not my mind. I have an excellent memory of the two of you being troublemakers who never practiced.”

Lanveris smiled faintly. “I might have paid more mind if taking lessons hadn’t been forced on us by our parents. I wanted to find my own hobbies.”

“What brings you to my doorstep now? Decided to take up music again after all?”

“In a manner of speaking. But I understand you’re not taking any students currently.”

“No. I’m leaving that to those who have more patience and energy for young know-it-alls. These days I prefer my quiet solitude. The Quel’thorin Hall is accepting students, and there’s a teacher I know at the bazaar who takes on beginners if you’re truly interested.”

Lanveris shook his head. “No, I’m interested in you, specifically. There was a song… one you sang… and I can’t quite remember how it goes.”

“Oh? What do you remember?”

“It was a love song. The first lines were-” Lanveris cleared his throat, “- ‘Leave all your cares and come with me, cast off your chains from this shore.’”

Tasavel nodded thoughtfully and placed the guitar back on his lap, experimentally strumming a few chords before singing in a strong voice.

Leave all your cares and sail with me
Cast off your chains from this shore
Upon the waves shall we be free
Together, we’ll never be moored
Together, we’ll never be moored

“That is the one, correct?”

“I’m glad you still remember it after all this time.”

“Good memory, as you said. Plus, when you’ve been playing as long as I have, the hands remember the songs nearly as well as the mind… even if the rest of me grows frail.”

“But not without years of practice.”

“There’s no shortcut to experience. But you still have plenty of time to learn,” Tasavel wagged a finger at him, “so don’t let that discourage you.”

“There are ways to speed up the learning process.”

“None worth taking. Now then, if that song is all you’re interested in, I don’t have it written down. There’s likely a copy in the Silvermoon library. By Alabrin Firelight.”

“It’s all in your head?”

Tasavel chuckled. “I am a bard. I have more music in my head than most people have heard.”

“Don’t you ever worry about what will happen to all your knowledge and skills when you’re gone?”

“That’s what students are for, but I’m getting too old for that.”

“That’s why I’ve come here. There’s something I want to show you.”

Carefully, Lanveris pulled a small round stone from his pocket, the size of his palm and covered in deeply etched runes. He brought it close enough for Tasavel to see the details; the master bard’s eyes grew wide as he leaned closer.

“I heard rumors… in old bard tales from my own teacher, of something like this.”

“You’ve heard of the Arsharaz stone, then.”

“A lost technique of passing on knowledge using blood magic. But flawed, imperfect knowledge.” He shook his head. “Passing on knowledge without wisdom is dangerous. Imagine a mage recklessly casting spells without foresight.”

“I agree. Which is why I want to test it on something innocuous.”

The arcane bindings snapped into place around Tasavel’s body, trapping him before he could pull away. He struggled vainly in their grapes, unable to speak. The guitar clattered to the ground with a discordant twang of its strings. Lanveris shook his head in disappointment.

“Now, I doubt anyone’s going to see us out here, but why don’t we find some privacy? And you can teach me that song.”

With a flick of Lanveris’s fingers, Tasavel’s body stiffly rose into the air. The door to the small house opened with little difficulty and the two disappeared inside.

Later that evening, soft notes one more sounded through the trees. Lanveris cradled the guitar in his lap, carefully avoiding brushing against it with the bloody bandage wrapped around his right hand. At first, the chords were dissonant and muted, but they gradually adjusted in confidence and speed. Memories rushed back to him of his own lessons as a child, but also echoes of someone else, some other experience not his own.

Our chance at love has slipped away,
To drown in a sea of regrets,
But while tides recede and mem’ries fade,
The heart, it never forgets
The heart, it never forgets

The last note faded away and he smiled to himself.

“A very excellent memory, indeed.”

3 Likes

Lana sat cross-legged on her Pandaren-style bed, scrolls of parchment strewn about the small cabin. The storm outside gave her an excuse to get away from the garden today. A giant book open to her left, and another almost as large set to her right, she had her cajun tab drum in her lap to hold up the scribbled-filled parchment she was working on. She sang to herself, slower than the normal melody would be as she counted out the syllables, tapping the drum with her fingers to the beat of the song.

“Pullin’ five trash packs kind… ugh,” she bowed her head. “PullinFIVE trash packs…” She buried her face on the drum in a whimper of frustration. She lifted her head, looking at the parchment and scratched a word out, then tried again. “Pullin’five packs… no that’s too short. Or am I getting the melody wrong?” She referred to another sheet by her side, then tried tapping the correct amount of beats. “Pullin five packs kind of crazy…” Her head nodded on each syllable. “But if I leave that word out will folks still understand its meaning?” She started arguing with herself aloud. “I mean… let’s regard our audience here. Most folks know what a ‘pack of enemies’ is.” She looked back between the lyric sheet and the music notes and tried again.

Pullin’ five packs, kinda crazy, a little bit hasty, her healer’s shoutin’ Hold! Don’t~ run away~. Cause, she, pulls like a psycho, she’s pullin’ it ri~ght though, and now she’s screamin’ Gonna make it in ti~me.

“Blah, screw it!” She tosses the working lyric sheet over her head, uncaring of where it landed and buried her face in her hands again, rubbing her face. “I can’t believe this thing’s tomorrow.”

A blue-green stone she wore at her hip began to glow, and the voice of Zaium’s helper bot, colloquially named “Buddy”, filled her mind. “Lady Lana, are you still joining us for the Scavenger Hunt in 5 minutes?”

The rogue’s eyes flew open and she flailed, falling out of the bed onto the floor. “Gah!” From her twisted position she managed to grab the stone in her hand and send a reply. “Yep! Yep! Be right there!” A quick tumble and she looked around the floor littered with parchments covered in music notes and song lyrics and various poems. She grumbled something unintelligible in her frustration. “Now where’s that blasted cloak? …I should probably put a real tunic on first. For fel’s sake.”

4 Likes

The lone wolf wandered the forest, moo~nlight on his coat~ of~ brown… His friend had eyes like fire, but a gaze as soft as her down. And while he roamed so free~ly, a~ gold ring kept her bound…

He met her there in the clearing, at the base of an old oak~ tree. “I would break your shackle, if~ you would come with me.” She said she’d join him ne~ver, for she should not be free! Ah~

“See me now~, for I am bound by a murder. Leave here now~, for soon I must return. Leave me now~, or they will see me a traitor; Don’t ask me… for what can never be…”

The melody of the bard’s song echoed in Surinda’s mind as she lightly touched the ring on her finger, and a sad smile curled her lip as she stroked the gleaming metal. There was no longer enough feeling in her undead flesh to distinguish the delicate engravings that circled the band. So much has been lost, she thought.

She raised her hand closer to the light of the single candle burning low on the table, gazing wistfully at the design. The firelight glinted and danced on the surface of the ring, revealing the letters T and S artfully woven around the letter R.

She leaned forward and snuffed the candle. “Thorin, my love,” she rasped in a soft whisper, “where are you?”

4 Likes

Thorin splashed tepid water over his face with a trembling hand. He gripped the sides of the washstand, leaning forward over the basin as he struggled to control his ragged breathing. As his breath slowed, he listened for any stirring from the other residents of the boarding house, but only silence greeted him. Had he screamed this time? Thorin wondered. The paper-thin walls kept no man’s secrets.

More oft as not, he would scream himself awake, tearing at the bedclothes and thrashing about in desperation like a drowning man fighting for breath. This behavior had earned him an eviction notice more than once. Common folk were unsettled by a grown man repeatedly shattering the night’s calm with screams of terror, it seemed.

He stumbled backward to sit heavily on the edge of the bed, as he ran a hand through his sweat-dampened hair. This time the nightmare had been particularly vivid, and he played back the horror still etched in his mind.

Stratholme is burning.

The air is thick and cloying with the sickly-sweet scent of burnt flesh. Yet an eerie calm pervades – the ever-smoldering flames only crackle softly in the background, as if muffled by a force unseen. The only other sound is the grating whisper of his plate armor as he turns to survey the carnage laid out before him.

Suddenly, a cry shatters the calm. An infant’s wail echoes around him, seemingly coming from everywhere and nowhere all at once. A sense of alarm grips him – he must find the child! Yet every step he attempts to take gains no purchase. All his efforts are in vain; it is as if he is rooted to the spot.

As he struggles, a hand grasps at his arm. Dread fills his heart – he knows that an unseen horror lurks behind him, just as he knows he will be compelled to turn and face it. Powerless to escape, he looks down to see twisted, blackened fingers clutching at his armor. Time slows. He watches helplessly as the creature’s grip tightens around his bicep, causing bits of the burnt flesh to slough off against his chainmail. At this moment, the child’s cries fade away…lost.

He turns slowly to confront whatever abomination holds him in its grasp, and is greeted by the ruined face of his beloved wife. He recoils in panic, unable to turn away. Her left side is hideously burned, but the right side remains miraculously unscathed. The walking corpse grins - her raw, burnt flesh contorting to reveal cracked and blackened teeth.

He struggles to free himself, but she holds him fast. She pulls him closer, leaning into him as she reaches up to caress his face with the hand that is still whole. Her lips part as she begins to speak, almost close enough to brush his cheek, and he nearly retches as the smell of cooked flesh overwhelms him.

Her voice echoes sweet and melodic in his ear as she whispers, “Thorin, my love, where are you?”

He screams in terrified anguish.

Thorin cradled his head in his hands as he finished reliving the final moments of the nightmare. It ended as it always did, with him thrashing back to consciousness while screaming and staring into the dead face of the charred horror that had once been his wife, Surinda. He scrubbed his calloused hands over his face, as if somehow the motion would rub away the terrible vision.

Parts of the dream were rooted in truth. They always were. He had witnessed the aftermath of Arthas Menethil’s butchery of Stratholme, and those wretched memories had haunted him nightly ever since. But Surinda did not die there. No. That sorrow would come later. His face twisted in grief as he recalled their final moments together.

She had kissed him farewell, and he had left her - smiling and happy and whole, standing on the stoop of their apartment in the Capital City. His business in Stormwind had been urgent, and he intended to return as soon as he was able. If only he could have sensed the darkness that was about to descend on Lordaeron, and the tragedy that would befall the city during his absence! He pounded a fist on his thigh, and shook his head in despair. He should have stayed. Death by her side would have been preferable to the hell he was living now.

Slumping forward, he wept softly, shoulders heaving silently as tears wetted the floor between his bare feet.

By the time Thorin bothered to move again, his tears had dried to nothing against his stubble-covered cheeks. The dream had begun to fade into jumbled images and half-remembered thoughts, and he sighed wearily as he laid back upon the bed. He knew he would not sleep again tonight.

Come morning, he would no longer recall the details of the nightmare, but knew that the respite was only temporary…she would soon visit him again.

4 Likes

Eversong woods were beautiful in the constant state of Spring. Birds and flowers decorated the landscape with peaceful intent. Pfaedra walked in her garden and looked out over the landscape with a critical eye. Off in the distance a lynx snarled as it chased down a rat. The lonely call of a loon echoed across the lake.

Pfaedra was trying to avoid the issue, but it would not go away that easy. Her niece had made her decision, and it was not one that pleased. The study of fel was not easy, nor was it conducive to a long lasting health of the one who studied it. There were others in the family who had come before and studied the fel with great success. Sadly, they had all passed. Old age and accident…or otherwise.

Felinthice was very young to have come to the call of the Dark Art. She was old enough to understand what it meant, and to know it displeased her aunt greatly. Still, she was defiant and determined to succeed, even going so far as to explore the long abandoned estate of her late Grandfather Riandron Duskwither.

When she returned to the family House, she was bubbling over with enthusiasm. “He spoke to me!! I swear it, Aunt Pfaedra! The whispers in my head were clear, I am to take over where he left off. I will succeed! Please do not be angry.”

“Those whispers, Feli…they are in your mind, and do not mean anything. You wish to become a warlock because of some childish yearning for power! Do not be deceived! A warlock gets their power from the greatest of evils! Look what fel has done to our once great city and one of our greatest leaders! I know you have studied the history, I have seen you in the library. Please reconsider…magic is hard enough to master. Fel is like…a cancer to your soul!”

The young elf stood in front of her aunt with a defiant expression. The pout on her pretty mouth would not sway anyone, except for possibly a male who wanted…other things. But she was not afraid of that in the least. When it was clear her aunt would not support her in this, she sighed. “I can see you are not going to help me. Therefore you leave me no choice. I will seek out a mentor to train me in the Dark Arts. That is my desire and my will.”

Pfaedra felt the deepest sadness envelope her as her niece turned and walked away. “Do what you will, I cannot stop you. But remember who you are and do not cause the House any shame. You are welcome here whenever you wish to return. I will not tolerate demons in my home, however.”

Felinthice paused at the door and turned her head to stare at her aunt. “I will remember who helped me, and who turned me away. When and if I return, it will be as a full fledged warlock. Then you will see my power.” Her head held high as she left the manor.

2 Likes

The peaceful village of Dawn’s Blossom was a haven for Lillideth. She strolled the little marketplace and bought noodles and some tea, taking them to the nearby bridge where she sat to observe the koi as they swam in the pond.

This was a place for meditation and reflection, a time for introspection and soul searching. Pandaria was a strange place and emotions often coalesed into creatures that intruded on the peace of the moment. In order to be undisturbed in her meditation, Lilli called forth her Doomguard to keep the area around her safe from intrusion.

Of course, Thoovazon had other ideas. He constantly reminded her she could not command him. Or he hunted the small critters that harmed no one and immediately smashed them into oblivion. Sighing in frustration, Lilli dismissed him and tried again. Maybe the Imp?

Foztep was little better. Bouncing around and looking for trouble with every step, he irritated the shopkeepers until they yelled at Lilli to send him away. This was not helping her to relax. Finally she called on the succubus, Vazila. “Just keep the sha things from bugging me, alright? Do not irritate the shopkeepers, don’t kill every little mouse or rabbit that ventures near, and for Light’s sake, don’t tell me I cannot order you around. We have a contract, I own you, and you are not going to get me to seduce anyone.”

The succubus pouted and stood nearby, watching for the little disturbances that Lilli’s meditations called forth. Oddly enough, the only ones she had to deal with were an occasional jealousy inspired critter that was easily dispatched. “Who are you jealous of? Let me know and I will take care of them, they will cower at your feet!”

Lilli was startled out of her reverie. “Jealousy? Now that is a new one for me…who have I met recently that would bring that out?” she blinked in surprise. Sometimes the demons would give her insights into others minds, but this was different.

She thought back to the last time she did readings in the Drunken Hozen. There were other warlocks there of course. But she tended to avoid them for the most part. Her mind whirled as she tried to remember who had a reading that sparked this emotion. Tarot cards often gave insights, but she had a hard time doing readings for herself. It was easier to let someone else do a fortune telling.

She had even allowed one of the Pandaren to give her a reading and found it quite enlightening. Perhaps she would seek out others who told fortunes and see if she could find someone who would help her figure this out.

1 Like

Dreia was far enough back that when the door slammed into the frame it did not hit her. Still, she felt the force of it in her legs and her left ankle wobbled as an old injury flared momentarily. She sighed.

“So dramatic.” She stepped out of her heeled boots, her feet sinking into the plush rug in the front room of her apartment. The carpet was one of the few luxuries she had, so it was on display in the area best suited for guests. Her brother had given it to her, saying, a balm for your newly unfettered gams .

She pursed her lips into a soft pout, pressing a short exhale over the tip of her tongue. She sat on the arm of her only chair and considered that same brother who just violenced his way out her door. He needs to relax.

When they were mere babes, still under the instruction of their caregivers, he used to laugh. And he made her laugh too, despite their predicament. A sharp pain pierced her lower lip and realised the soft flesh was between her teeth. She cursed as she rose.

He needs to relax, yes, but so do I. She padded to the window and slipped one delicately manicured fingernail along the edge of the curtain, pulling it back an inch. Sanindreios was still outside. His back to her, she could see the stiffness in his shoulders. I should do something to lift his spirits. He hailed a passing hippogryph and left without a backward glance. Hm. He’s more angry than I thought.

She thought about his complaint at supper a few weeks ago. His used strider had recently failed its emissions certificate. A sad state of affairs, but it gave her an idea. That’s it, my dearest sibling. I’ll buy you a wonderful new horse that is worthy of you.

Dreia let the drape fall back into place. I just need to figure out how to pay for it.

1 Like

It was close to noon when Jahana finished her work for the day. As she put her tools away and got ready to leave her workshop a strange noise came from her doorway. She turned to look, and noticed a small tiger had sniffed at her doorway and then vanished, as cats often do when frightened.

“A tiger? Now where would a tiger come from? The closest ones I know of are in Stranglethorn…wait a minute.” She mumbled to herself as she tried to remember who else might come to visit.

Though she was in a remote location, visitors were often relatives come to check on her rather than enemies. The Silvermoon estate was located in a remote corner of Eversong woods. Mostly run down, with few servants and only Jahana and her neice Felinthice currently in residence. There were others of course, most of whom had left for other locations in Azeroth.

Jahana finished cleaning up and then went outside to look around. “Hello? Pfaedra? I did not expect to see you around, what’s up? I thought I saw a tiger in my doorway a minute ago.”

“Yes, I am here to visit, and to get my son some exposure to other relatives. He has decided to go the Farstriders career path, specializing in hunting. He has become quite good with his bow, and his recent trip to Stranglethorn, he did find a tiger. It’s just a baby now, but he swears it is fierce.” Pfaedra smiled with pride. “I think he is still exploring the grounds. I told him not to bother people, but he is ever curious. Let’s go have some Eversong wine and I will introduce you to him when he comes in.”

The grounds were fairly open, with various studios and workshops for the ones who needed a place to practice their craft. “I am finished for the day, a glass of wine sounds good. Glad to see you again, Aunt Pfaedra.”

They went into the Manorhouse and the servants were quick to bring refreshments. Soon afterward, a scream came from the kitchen and Jahana and Pfaedra were quick to jump up and investigate.

“What is going on in here?” Pfaedra was ready to blast any intruders. Jahana had stealthed into the room behind her.

“Mom, please tell them Hobbs is not dangerous! I tell them, but they do not believe me!” The tall young pale haired SIndorei whined.

Blinking in amazement, Jahana came out of stealth to see a tiger happily munching on a fish he had stolen off the table. “I think you need to keep your pet outside, until he is better trained.” she gave him a stern look.

“Kalvyn, you heard your cousin, now take Hobbs outside. He can play with the birds in the garden. He cannot hurt anything out there. You know the rules, same here as at home. He is not allowed in the house until he is fully trained.” Pfaedra scolded her son.

“Fine…he can stay outside, but he won’t like it!” Kalvyn called Hobbs to him and went outside. He let him keep the fish, and hoped he would be content in the garden. Coming back into the house, he strolled into the drawing room and sat down with a slump.

“Kalvyn, where are your manners? Say hello to your cousin Jahana Silverhawk. She is the acting head of the House right now, as Sydric is out in Nazjatar.” Pfaedra was exasperated.

Kalvyn gave a halfhearted salute. “Hiya cousin, Jahana!”

Jahana smiled, “Nice to meet you Kalvyn. I am impressed you found a tiger. They are not easy to find or to tame. Do you have any other pets?”

“Just the dragonhawk the trainers started me off with. I guess I could get more, but I don’t know what I want yet.” he appeared to be very young and immature.

“He needs more training, and I was hoping you could tell us who to go to, since the SIlvermoon trainers are always so busy. I was kind of hoping to find a mentor for him.” Pfaedra looked hopefully at Jahana.

“I will have to ask around, maybe we can find one for him.” Jahana replied with a smile.

((A delivery post I made in our guild channels, but figured I’d repost here since we haven’t had any new snippets lately!))

Ratchet’s summer heat was quelled by the ocean breeze, which reached even as far inland as the AAMS building up the hill. It was a spacious building, once having served as the company’s HQ, and for a while, the Horde branch office while the office in Orgrimmar was repaired. It’d been recently renovated, making it even more comfortable to take shelter from the heat. Kezrin was very much looking forward to stepping inside its shade and having a drink as she and Olu rode back into town, the goblin on her fox and the tauren on a large kodo.

“Can we schedule the next trainin’ session for, I dunno, somewhere with trees?”

Olu chuckled, the tauren’s voice a low rumble. “A good shaman should be able to commune with the elements in any environment.”

“Yeah, well I ain’t one yet, so I’d like some trees.” Kezrin sighed. “And good long shower. You mostly got to stand aside and watch me eat dust.”

“You did good today. If you wish to head to the office and clean up, I’ll pick up some dinner at the market by the docks.”

“That’s a deal.” Kezrin urged her fox onward, leaving behind the slower paced kodo. She barely bothered to greet the staff on duty, heading directly to the couriers’ barracks and the showers, blessing whoever decided to upgrade those facilities, too, during the renovations. She took her time washing out the sweat and dust from spending the day sparring and training with Olu out in the Barrens before changing into a clean set of white-and-gold robes.

Still, Olu had yet to return by the time she’d finished. She peered outside, wondering if she should call Olu over the hearthstone, when she spotted the large figure making her way around the last curve of road. Several large packages were loaded on the kodo’s back.

“Didja buy dinner for the entire office?” Kezrin asked as Olu stopped outside the office and dismounted.

“Should I have?” Olu asked. “No. I was stopped when I got to the docks by someone who wanted to make a delivery.” She patted the closest box. “An anonymous donation.”

“Yeah, who’s it for?”

Olu shrugged. “A Zandalari orphan fund? I was given instruction to give it to Nikruun, who would know what it is for.”

“Ya know what’s in it?”

“It’s a bit eclectic.” Olu opened the lid of the box, showing off some brightly colored fabric. “Cloth, some shiny baubles, and frybread and other food… do Zandalari children not like toys?”

“I don’t know, I haven’t really spent much time there. Well, we can take it back with us to Booty Bay after dinner.”

“Ah. Yes. Dinner. The reason I went into market.”

“Olu.”

“Yes?”

“Didja forget to buy dinner?”

“Do you think Nikruun would notice if some of the frybread went missing?”

“OLU!”

2 Likes

Vinalas Aelesh-Sara’hel had barely left the clinic when his hearthstone chirped. He was not at all pleased, nor surprised, to find it was Varrette checking up on him.

“Well? How did it go?” she asked anxiously.

“Shouldn’t you know? You apparently have people spying on me.”

“I do not!”

“Very convenient timing, then.”

“Vinny, I don’t know what you’re talking about. What did the healer say?”

“As I have been insisting to you for the past two weeks, I’m fine,” he said with exasperation. “Now are you going to live up to your promise and leave me alone?”

“I’m just concerned. Father says you’re not talking to him, either and-”

Vinalas disabled the stone, cutting her off. She’d get the point. It was tempting to simply toss the blasted thing off the cliff and into the Drag, but then he’d have to worry about not being in contact with Giovale. Frankly, he didn’t feel like speaking to any member of his family just yet, even if one conversation was long overdue. It was one he was both dreading and yet wanting to be done with.

So naturally, several days later, he found a visitor sitting on the low wall alongside the path leading to his and Gio’s home in Sri La village. Vinalas paused his morning jog to stare at the unexpected intrusion.

Lanveris Sara’hel sat lazily cross-legged on the wall, a bottle of plum wine resting beside him, a vintage Vinalas recognized from a winery just south of the village. The two bore a strong family resemblance; up until now, Vinalas had credited that to the similarities between Lanveris and his brother Kaelenis. He vaguely noted that Lanveris’s eyes were a darker shade of green than he recalled.

“Good morning, Vinalas,” Lanveris greeted cheerfully. “You’re looking well.”

“Good morning-” he started to answer testily, then stopped short. “I don’t even know what to call you anymore.”

“I’ve grown accustomed to ‘Uncle’ if it makes you more comfortable.”

“Not really.”

“May I come inside? It’s a bit chilly out here.”

“I don’t think we’re going to have a long enough chat to worry about it.”

“Come now. You’re the one who insisted he wanted to talk to me when everything was settled. I thought you’d have plenty of questions.”

“And then you disappeared for months. Which I normally appreciate. And you know what happened? I realized the only thing I had to say to you was nothing has changed.”

“I was busy.”

“Busy? Doing what? More important than your son?”

Lanveris’s cheery manner seeped away as he didn’t answer at first. His fingers drifted to the top of the wine bottle. At last, he said matter-of-factly, “Burying your family, among other things.”

“Burying my-” The shocked reply died in Vinalas’s throat. His family. The Arsharadi. In the time he’d spent recovering, he’d not wanted to think about them. Had definitely not thought about them in terms of family. Had not thought about what had happened the man who’d claimed to be his grandfather.

Or his mother.

Lanveris nodded and continued. “You haven’t been back, I know. There’s no more Arsharadi left… unless there are others who weren’t present when Escirel took over. I haven’t been able to locate them, if so. I have been cleaning up the place so you can claim your rightful heritage.”

“I don’t want it.”

“Whether you want it or not, it’s yours.” A wry smile played on his lips. “Or perhaps I should talk to Giovale since he’s Escirel’s closest relative-”

“Don’t.” Vinalas glared at him. “He’s had a hard enough time without dealing with you.”

“Just an idle thought, since you seemed so disinclined to your birthright.”

“One I didn’t even know about! You, Father, Mother-” Vinalas winced. “Everyone. Everyone knew and didn’t tell me.”

“It was important that no one knew you were Serala’s son. And honestly, all for the best, wasn’t it? Can you imagine me raising you?” Lanveris scoffed, uncorking the wine bottle. “You came out just fine.”

“As a child, yes. But I’m an adult. A knight. Married, even! And no one was going to tell me?”

“Part of the deal I made. I promised to never to tell you and became persona non grata in the Sara’hel household.” He sipped his wine.

“I always assumed that was because of your charming personality.”

Lanveris grinned. “Oh, in part, for sure. Kaelenis and I have had our differences. However, it was Viami who was hardest to convince to take you in. She made me promise, and I am a man of my word when I give it. Bit of a requirement in my profession, as it were.”

That hit unexpectedly. “She didn’t want me?”

“On the contrary, she was quite protective of you, just… insistent on conditions. She sacrificed years to take you and Varrette out of the city until it was safe to return with a new unexplained child in tow. Do you know how long she still had to fight rumors of infidelity on either hers or my brother’s part?” He swished the wine around the bottle. “A fight made easier by keeping me out of your life.”

“To echo your own words, I suspect it was for the best,” Vinalas replied scathingly.

“Precisely! I’m glad we’re coming to an agreement on the matter. And now that’s all settled and behind us, there are other things I can show you. Things Serala would have wanted you to know.”

“Serala.” The name played oddly across Vinalas’s tongue. He’d heard it a few times in his captivity, but he’d never spoken it himself.

“Your mother.” Lanveris laid a hand across his chest. “Serala Sunkeeper. You should come to the Hinterlands with me and learn what I know about her.”

“I… no.” Vinalas shook his head, turning away. “She’s not my mother, not in any real sense. Those people… those Arsharadi… were strangers who just happen to be related to me. Rather like you.”

“They’re still part of who you are. You should learn about them. Your mother died for you. Ought you not to pay her some respect?”

“I’m not returning to that place, least of all with you.” Vinalas waved him off. “I’m going home, Uncle. I suggest you remain persona non grata.”

“I’ll be here, whenever you’re ready.”

He ignored the offer, resuming his steady jog up the path to his and Gio’s home. He dared a quick glance after a short while, but the elder Sara’hel was gone. There was a glint of morning light reflecting off an abandoned bottle.

Good riddance.

“Now, look, I’m sure they’re wonderful people…I’m just not sure they’re what we need.”

Two void elves walked along the docks, the rest of the citizenry giving them a wide berth. This might have been because they were void elves, or it might have had something to do with the…very…peculiar odor that one of them was giving off.

“Yes, yes, I know your Sifu is one of them,” the first went on, “and I’ve met your so-called queen, and I think she’s a very nice person. I’m just not sure if it’s really wise–” It was the male of the pair who was speaking. Every so often he sent a nervous hand through his gray hair, which was starting to grow back golden at the roots. He seemed to be entreating the other, a purple-haired female, to not be doing whatever she was planning on doing, and did not seem to be having much luck at it.

One dockman saw the pair coming, took a sniff, then dived in the water to get away from them.

The male scowled and pointed this out to the woman. “And one other thing…are you really sure that potion was Void repellent and not some attempt at centaur perfume?”

“Uh huh!” said the other ren’dorei, giving her tentacle-ly hair a flip. Evelos gagged as a cloud of yellow-ish vapor filled the air behind her, then quickly ran to keep up with his skipping sister.

“Yes, but if it really were Void repellent, it shouldn’t exactly be possible for you to wear it–”

“That’s because it’s only at quarter strength. Like, DUH, grumpy-gills! That’s why I’ll be staying at the K-Bane. It’ll be perfectly safe from Talthan, trust me!”

“The last time I trusted you, I–well, I don’t care to remember. Where is this ship anyway? It feels like we’ve traversed the entire docks!”

“That just means you need to get out more often!” Medyfivol said brightly. “But don’t worry, we’ll get your poor under-exercised feet a rest soon! It’s just…right…here!”

Evelos came to a stop, gawking down the quay his sister so proudly presented.

“…uh…Medi? It’s empty.”

“What?? Now you’re just being silly along with grumpy! It’s right–oh.”

The two void elves stared at the space along the docks where the K-Bane most definitely was not.

“Let me guess,” said Evelos at length. “…you bought the ship repellent by accident.”

1 Like

((This story is about my undead priest, Orthar)).

"Doomweed, Briarthorn,Silverleaf. Aha! Starflower, just what i need. " After rambling about where he put the Talador Orchid, Orthar puts both plants in a large crystal vial filled with water and proceeds to mix them together. He then says, “Here is your flask, Jorell.” “Thank you, Orthar. And here is your payment, as promised.” The apothecary hands Orthar 4 gold coins, 2 silver coins, and 7 copper coins.

"Why again do you need this? “I payed you to provide plants, not ask questions.” Jorell replied.

((A short scene from the past that’s been on my to-do list for weeks… ))

Sometime a few months after the Cataclysm

“Hello? Anyone here?”

The young goblin woman stood in the doorway, peering into the slightly darker interior of the Ratchet office. The white-haired goblin wore a plain dark grey dress, with a tote stuffed with books slung over her shoulder. She’d asked directions from a few of the local goblins, and a sign at the door confirmed she was at the correct place, but there didn’t seem to be anyone present.

Then a white hat bobbed up from behind a desk. “Pardon! Just one moment! Lost my pen,” came the reply in Orcish, though in an oddly high pitched voice.

A fully white-clad figure, wearing a broad-rimmed white hat, climbed up on a chair, and then without any preamble, simply sat on top of the desk to peer at her visitor. She gaily waggled a pen at her.

“Found it! Blasted things always rolling off the desk. Anyway, welcome to the AAMS Rachet office, I’m Derscha, how may I help you today?”

“You’re a gnome.

“I know. Sometimes I regret that choice, but who wants to be bumping their heads into the ceiling all the time like a Tauren? Please do come in all the way, you’re letting the cool air out.”

“Oh… oh, right.” The goblin shuffled a few steps further in, closing the door behind her. “Sorry. Wasn’t… wasn’t expecting a gnome. The advertisement had a goblin on it, and I need a delivery to the islands and…”

“Kezan? A might bit more difficult due to recent geographical changes but within our reach. Hard to have an office in Ratchet and not do any business with the goblin cartels, after all.”

“And… and do so privately?” she asked anxiously. “I heard… I heard you can deliver things, uh… secretly.”

“Oooh!” Derscha leaned forward in interest. “Let me guess… secret admirer?”

“No!” She held up her hands quickly. “No, no- just my sister. That’s all.”

“Oh, I see. And you don’t want her to know it’s from you?” She tilted her head curiously.

“No, I mean, she can know it’s from me but-” the goblin hesitated, shifting her weight, “-it’s really important no one else does. It’s, um, a secret. Secret correspondence.”

Derscha bobbed her head. “Well, we can certainly arrange for that, though it’ll cost a bit extra and might take a bit more time if you truly want it to be discrete. Let me get a form.”

She turned around on the desk, leaning over to open a top drawer and pull out a sheet of paper. “Do you have the package with you?”

“Um, yeah. Right here.” She pulled out a couple of the books, fishing in the tote for something.

Derscha squinted at the books in her hand. “Thalassian?” She looked over the white-haired goblin with newly piqued interest. “Oooh, can you read Thalassian?”

“Yeah. Thalassian, some Darnassian since they’re so close, Orcish, Common and… oh, here it is.” She held up a small envelope, then offered it over. “Just a letter.”

Derscha turned it over a few times, searching for a name, but it had been left blank. “Well! Makes it easier to deliver unnoticed. Name, address?”

“Myzzi Goldwick. In Brasswright. Err, the Brasswright Isles.”

“Hmm-mm, hmm-mm. Anything more specific?”

The goblin looked a bit chagrined. “She’ll be at the Goldwick Estate, I, uh, presume. This is gonna be a secret, right?”

“Of course! You have my word as an AAMS courier that we won’t breathe a word to anyone else.” She finished marking something off on the paper. “And will you be expecting a reply?”

“Uh… maybe? I don’t know how feasible it will be.”

“We can always ask! If there is a reply, where can we find you?”

“I’d, uh, rather not give an address.”

“Well! How about you come back in, say, two weeks and we’ll either have a reply for you or not?”

“I can do that.”

“Very good!” Dersch offered the form over along with the troublesome pen. “That’s the total for delivery, with special instructions, plus return services. Just need a signature at the bottom.”

“Oh… uh…” The goblin stared at the form, hesitating before signing. She passed it back to Derscha then started rummaging through her tote again. She withdrew a small pouch and started to carefully count out the coins.

“Thank you, Miss….” Derscha read the bottom of the form, “-Kezrin. You know, if you could use a few extra coins, we could use some help in our translating department.”

“Oh. Thanks, but, um, I’ve already got a job?” Kezrin sounded unsure of herself. “As, uh, a research… assistant.” She tapped the bundle of books.

“Of course. You could work on commission, if you wish, when you have some free time.”

“I’ll consider it.” She passed the coins over. “So, in two weeks?”

“Two weeks! I’ll see you then, Miss Goldwick.”

Kezrin blanched. “Err… Can- Kezrin Kanzelry. I’d prefer ya didn’t mention the other name.”

Derscha tapped the side of her nose. “Understood. Miss Kanzelry.”

Kezrin regarded her dubiously, but eventually sighed in resignation before heading toward the door. “Thanks. Hope I don’t regret coming here…”

“I’m sure you won’t. Have a lovely day!”

The gnome waved jauntily as Kezrin slipped back outside into the bright Ratchet afternoon.

2 Likes

the big tauren opened his eyes, looked around, and whuffed mightily.

“same flop, different decade”…

With a fitful twitch of his tail, and no small amount of regret, he turned over, got furrier, and went back to sleep.

little did he know…

1 Like

The first dim rays of dawnlight were just creeping into the sky over the Bay as Lucian stepped onboard the Titan’s Wrath. Even at this early hour, the ship was a flurry of activity - preparations were already well underway for departure that morning, and the crew moved fluidly through the pre-dawn dusk, readying the vessel for launch. As Lucian wound his way through the bustle on deck, a rumbling baritone voice cut through the din of activity, hailing him.

“Lucian! It’s about damn time.” Though the words were harsh, the greeting was friendly, and Lucian turned to face the man making his way toward him. Dressed in nothing but a pair of simple breeches and linen undershirt, he grinned broadly as he strode over to Lucian, bare feet slapping softly on the deck.

“Good morning, Nathaniel.” Lucian drolled, as he returned a curt nod to acknowledge the salutation. A smile tugged faintly at the corner of his mouth as he replied. “How you manage to be so chipper at such an ungodly hour, I’ll never fathom.”

“Good morning to you, too, brother.” Nathaniel chuckled and paused a moment, before bringing his large, weathered hands together with a clap, rubbing his palms briskly. “Now. Down to business. Have you finished with the maps?”

Lucian shrugged out of one of several straps securing his traveling gear, and untangled a large leather document tube from the accoutrements slung across his back. “Indeed. A new route, charted and checked, as promised.” He lobbed the case across the short distance to Nathaniel with a sigh and roll of his eyes. “Though how I managed to get conscripted into the role of ship’s navigator in addition to my duties as broker for this voyage is beyond me.”

“Because you’ve always had a knack for paper-pushing, just like father.” Nathaniel caught the document tube with a deft hand, smirking as he unscrewed the cap. He peered down inside with a squint, the sheaf of rolled parchments receiving a nod of approval. A wry chuckle rumbled up from his chest as he looked back to Lucian. “Charting is just another bit of paperwork to you, isn’t it, little one? Never could tear you away from a desk for long.”

Lucian bristled, his cheeks heating and reddening at the slight. “Thus far, my paper-pushing has been your saving grace on this passage,” he retorted, clipping his words short in irritation. “Perhaps if you could manage to keep this ship on schedule, my services would be unnecessary.” He narrowed his eyes accusingly at the other man. “Your delay in Pandaria may cost us dearly.”

“Couldn’t be helped.” Nathaniel folded his arms across his chest as he tilted his head to fix Lucian with an assessing glare, brow arched critically. “Funny. I didn’t hear you complain when my acquisition of that particular cargo increased your commission three-fold.”

“Just ensure that it does not happen again.” Lucian snapped back forcefully, lip curling up scornfully. “See to it the Titan’s Wrath arrives at Stormwind on schedule. We cannot afford to lose any more time.” He bowed his head slightly and pinched the bridge of his nose between his fingers, brows knit in vexation. With an exasperated sigh, he flicked his hand away in a dismissive wave. “I will attend to the necessary customs paperwork ahead of your arrival and prepare the bills of lading for the goods we will be taking on in Stormwind. If all goes well, the shipment should be ready to transfer as soon as you arrive in port.”

Nathaniel nodded slowly, frown deepening at Lucian’s outburst. “Aye. The wind is in our favor this morn’, and we’ll take her straight out to sea without kedging. Should save some time.” He considered for a moment. “You’re going by gryphon then, I take it?”

“Yes. Once the Titan’s Wrath is moored, I will meet you on the docks to supervise the loading. It is imperative the goods reach Boralus by the date previously agreed upon in order to avoid forfeiture of the contract.” Lucian regarded Nathaniel flatly. “I refuse to take a loss on the shipment. I am doing everything within my power to ensure that we make the deadline…I suggest you do the same.”

“Of course.” Nathaniel replied with a brooding grumble as he dipped his head in mock deference. Looking up, he pinned Lucian with a defiant glare. “We wouldn’t want your shipment to be late, now would we? You act as if I have no stake in this.”

Lucian stepped forward quickly, bootheels striking sharply against the deck as he closed the distance between them. Stopping just inches from the other man, he replied scathingly, fixing him with a cold stare. “Tread lightly, Nathaniel. You may be my brother, but you are also under my employ. If this contract is lost, the remainder will come out of your pay and that of your crew, if necessary. I am majority owner in this venture, and of this ship, Captain… and you would do well to remember that.”

Brushing past roughly, he continued without looking back. “With the Ashvane Company in disarray, we are poised to take a lead in the shipping sector. This is a prime opportunity for advancement.” He strode briskly toward the gangplank, pausing only long enough to level one final remark over his shoulder.

“See that you do not squander it.”

3 Likes

Donal Heskin sat quietly in an upstairs room in the Ledgerdemain Lounge in Dalaran, where he had been since Adesse Surrette had opened the portal for him. He had told his grandda what had happened, or rather what he believed had happened; he had had Adesse’s hearthstone in his pocket, just in case. He had never seen her that angry before.

Finally, a voice came from downstairs. “Donal, lad, come down here.” It was him.

The Ledgerdemain was empty at this hour, and the barkeep had graciously elected to be elsewhere. Sir Eran Heskin occupied a chair at one of the tables in the lounge. “Sit down.” The boy did so. “I spoke to the two of them. The living one seems a good sort, although I wonder what he’s doing with a man like that. His companion, however… partner, husband, not sure if they made it formal… he reminds me of your father, and I told him so. He chooses not to accept that other people’s mindviews can be different than his own; they must be wrong, and at fault, if they are.” He sighed. “On the other hand, he did raise a good point. I thought I taught you better than that.”

“He was saying they were gonna raise you if you got killed, Grandda.”

“He said it was a possibility,” Eran corrected. “He also said that he chose to accept his path in his case, and I know that while there have been bodies stolen and graves opened, people who certainly would not have chosen that path themselves have nonetheless accepted their fate. He was not saying they would do that to me; he only expressed the thought that my sense of duty to the Alliance would lead me to embrace that path, if I were so raised.”

“You wouldn’t do that. You wouldn’t do that to Granna, or Momma… or even to Da, no matter how much you fight.” Donal’s eyes were wide. “You wouldn’t do that to me.”

Eran was silent for a moment. “I don’t know if I would or not, lad,” he finally admitted. “Part of me thinks it won’t be a possibility. That I would not be raised like that at all. Or if I were, I would scatter my body across the rocks rather than exist like that. Maybe I would accept it and become like them after all. I don’t know how I would react in that moment, because it hasn’t happened. I don’t know if it will. It might. It might not.”

“I know you,” Donal insisted. “You wouldn’t be a monster like that --”

Eran’s armored fist came down on the table, causing Donal to jump. “Donal Erasmus Heskin, if you say anything like that again, I will have you sent home, and you will stay there.” His voice was like steel. Donal was staring at him with wide, terrified eyes.

Sighing, Eran removed his gauntlet and gently put a hand on his grandson’s shoulder. “I’m not very comfortable with death knights, it’s true. I didn’t like it when the first ones came from Acherus all those years ago; it just felt wrong to me, no matter what Fordring said. I don’t like the ‘recruiting’ the Ebon Blade are doing these days. You remember how angry Lorewalker Puretide was when he found out about his brother.”

Donal nodded wordlessly.

“And I didn’t like that knight’s attitude, either. I didn’t like how he openly talked about serving the Lich King, because the last people who talked like that were in the Plaguelands and in Northrend, and it was our duty to hunt them down to protect the living. I didn’t like his dismissive attitude towards our feelings. He’s self-righteous, perhaps… he’s definitely insensitive. But that does not make him a monster. If being full of yourself was monstrous, we’d all be burnt at the stake.” He smiled a little at the attempt at humor.

Donal did not. He still looked confused and upset. Not a good sign, Eran thought.

“He admits he is new to Azeroth, he and his companion,” he went on. “They do not understand our feelings, how they were shaped by Adesse’s experience as a refugee from Lordaeron, or our service in Northrend. Maybe they don’t see why those feelings should affect things now. Hell, maybe they’re right.” He shook his head. “Look at it this way, too: if he was truly as monstrous as you make him out, he would not be welcome in public, would he? Certainly not with the Commander of the Watch sitting right there.”

Donal was not convinced, still visualizing the idea of his grandfather as a walking corpse in dark armor, and trying like hell to keep his voice from quivering. “But -”

“No buts, Donal.” The stern expression was back. “When and if we encounter them again,” he said after a moment, “I expect you to show respect, no matter what they say. What happened with Adesse tonight is not how to handle this. Bad enough we’ll have to deal with the banshee’s loyalists down the road, we don’t need to be fighting amongst each other.” I will not compel Adesse to offer an apology, he thought. I couldn’t even if I wanted to; I might as well throw a lit match into a powderkeg.

“She told them to stay away, or she would --”

“Nevermind what she told them. I will deal with her, properly, later on. Right now, I am telling you: If you ever act that way towards anyone, at any time, I will do as your father has once again asked me to do, and send you home - and make sure you stay there. Do I make myself clear?”

Donal bowed his head. “Yes, Grandda.”

“Good. Now head on back to your room. We will return to Stormwind in the morning.” As Donal stood and made his way towards the stairs, Eran halted him again. “Oh, and Donal?”

“Yes, Grandda?”

“Hearthstone, please.” He held out his hand. “Lest you get any funny ideas.”

Donal’s cheeks went slightly pink as he took the stone out from his pocket and handed it to his grandfather.

Eran smiled as he took it, and ruffled his grandson’s hair. “Good lad. Off you get.”

2 Likes