SLI Utilization

I’m not sure if this is exclusive to the new patch or not, but i booted up afterburner and my second GPU is at 2-9% usage, first card is between 50-85% usage. I use 2 970’s and I’ve never really had much of an issue running 4k outside of raid/battleground and now i linger in the 30 fps range, which means every time i have to render a new object it drops in the low 20’s. I did have to update my video drivers when prepatch came out, not sure if that’s related, anyone dealt with similar issues, or know any tips?

Hi Shamaniak

I haven’t seen any other recent reports of this. You might try rolling back the driver. It is safe to ignore that “helpful” reminder.

I would use the DDU tool to roll back.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3300

Basically you extract the uninstaller from the download. (it will extract to a folder called DDU - the tool is inside that folder)

*Important: Unplug the Ethernet or disable the Wifi to avoid Windows automatic driver installation.

I like to boot the computer into safe mode then run the DDU tool. (This isn’t essential you can ignore the tools warning. You will need to confirm you have the windows password before you do so. If you are using a PIN Windows may ask for the actual password after running safe mode.)

On the tool you select Graphics type then Nvidia. Run the recommended “Clean then restart”.

Now for the install. Start the driver download. Select Graphics only (no GeForce Experience). Select Custom install carry on to the next pane. There is a box to check for Clean Install select (check) that box. (Resets the Nvidia control panel and profiles to defaults)

You will see a Windows Smart Screen warning when you start the Driver install as you are offline - ignore that.

Unless it was added in the late 8.x, or 9.0.1 patches, WoW really doesn’t support SLI. It’s something that must be coded specifically by the developer to take advantage of, and incredibly few do, even on the biggest of blockbuster games.

I used to run two GeForce 1080s in SLI, but found out the same thing you did, the same way you did. Again, this was back in the day when a GeForce 1080 was hot stuff, so it’s been a couple years. I decided it would be better to buy a single, absolutely smokin’ GPU, instead of two really good ones. Better results, costs less.

Actually did a ton of research and figured it out.
Dx11 forces mgpu utilization on the application IE wow. Dx12 doesn’t. Simply changing from dx12 setting to dx11 changed my gpu2 usage from 5~ to 80~.

This has been known since DX12 release however lately I’ve found DX11 SLI crashes randomly so just run DX12. Plan to move away from SLI once able to see how navi rates to GTX3080/90. SLI is a dying solution.

Yeah I don’t disagree but I’m gonna run dx11 bc I’m a cheap mfr and I’m using these 970s until they burst into flames.

1 Like