SL: Ryzen 3000 max OC far below expected; and general thoughts

That’s not enough information to answer the question.

Which cores are boosting at 4.5Ghz? 4.3? Which CCX? What’s your power delivery? What’s your silicon quality? What mobo? What BIOS? What kind of mobo are we looking at?

Zen2 isn’t monolithic and you can’t approach it as such.

The whole Zen2 fiasco is far more complex than most other chips that ever came out. There’s a lot to learn and people still learning.

“4516 on 2 cores, 4466 on 3 cores, 4441, 4417, 4342 on 4 cores, 4292.” under what condition would be the better question. It’s not as cut and dry as Intel or even Zen+.

None of those questions matter.

The answer should be “It boosts to 4.6GHz as advertised.”

It doesn’t even round up to 4.6 :frowning:

That’s like saying a 9900K should boost to 5Ghz as advertised. Without adequate power and cooling that’s not going to happen.

People have hit advertised boost clocks by AMD’s scummy criteria:

i.redd it/sdiios3mjgg31.png -> 4.6Ghz single core 3900X

i.redd it/jtd7tawsr2e31.png -> 4.575Ghz single core 3900X [talk about losing the lottery here lol]

i.redd it/4hapuya712e31.png -> 4.375 single core 3600

The rest of the cores are lower. As I’ve been saying not all the cores of same quality. Don’t expect all 12 cores on a 3900X to hit 4.6 Ghz. If you do then you REALLY won the lottery.

Are you saying that 700mm of radiators and seven Noctua fans is not adequate cooling?

What motherboard is your brother in law using?

I believe it’s the Asus X570 F Gaming.

Not sure what your point is. No Ryzen chip has been a good overclocker. 200MHz is about as much as you’re going to get out of them on an all core OC. That said, the new 3000 series chips are outstanding performers even if they aren’t great overclockers.

Zen 2 is a new architecture on a die shrink, so it’s facing a similar amount of teething issues that Zen 1 had. The issues are largely overstated and will be corrected through software and firmware updates. If a Zen 2 CPU meets your needs, then you should purchase one. If an Intel CPU works for your use, then get that. I normally shop AMD because they tend to have the better value proposition, but if that were to slide to Intel, I’d jump to Team Blue. Neither AMD nor Intel are putting money in my wallet, so I don’t feel obligated to evangelize their products. From the tone of your post, I think that either Intel is putting money in your wallet, in which case keep doing what you’re doing, or you’re just acting foolish. None of these tech companies give a damn about us. The sooner we all realize that, the better off we’ll be long term.

It reminds me of the crap I took from some people back in the '80s because I drove Toyotas instead of Fords of Chevys. I wasn’t anti-American. I was pro-wallet. My argument back then was that if Ford or GM made a car I actually wanted to buy, I’d buy it. But they didn’t. Back then, they made crap.

If Intel or Nvidia wants my money, then they’ll make products I want and price them competitively. If AMD wants to continue receiving my money, they best not forget that I’m only buying their products because they make the most sense for me.

4 Likes

It’s in the first sentence of my post.

More than cooling is needed. BIOS, traces,etc Asus X570 F is not really a good board per buildzoid.

Even if you were to OC the perf increases about 5% that’s a ton more power for little gain on Zen2. Not worth it.

That’s all incorrect. Silicon lottery themselves have said they only had 50 zen2 samples. Not really enough to support your false conclusions. Silicon lottery also said they won’t be binning zen2; it’s not profitable enough for them.

Max stable OC for 3950x: 4.15GHz at $1,500

And only achieved by 19% of tested chips. Oof

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/matisse/products/3950x41p?variant=31542222848086

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e8cbve/silicon_lottery_3950x_binning_percentages/

Here’s hothardware running it properly:
https://hothardware.com/Image/Resize/?width=1170&height=1170&imageFile=/contentimages/Article/2919/content/big_clocks-1-core.jpg

Oof.
Stop embarrassing yourself Griefs and stop trying to shill.

He doesn’t know CCX overclocking :rofl:

Actually I do, but why I would bring them up in a thread on Silicon Lottery’s overclocking results is beyond me. It doesn’t make logical sense to do so. Maybe you should ask THEM if they know about it?

Since SL is a business, they test a large quantity of chips and have monetary interest in providing stable overclocks. Their data are the best anyone will get concerning true average overclock numbers for the chips they sell.

Cool that you can link single cases from Reddit of people who got their chip to run through Cinebench at higher clocks, though. But it’s hardly the same thing.

Except they don’t.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cqav4v/silicon_lotterys_historical_binning_statistics/ewvavky/?context=3

Here’s what Silicon Lottery says regarding Zen3, completely refuting your statements:

This is you being confused and having no idea what you’re talking about again.
Their response was posted already (which you clear didn’t read) and exact opposite of your false narrative.

Hothardware is a review site. They have nothing to do with reddit. The reddit links are Silicon Lottery themselves refuting your statements and providing proof you’re lying
 again.

Because you seem to not understand that Silicon Lottery only did all core overclocking in traditional methods, giving poor results in return

CCX overclocking is much better as you can gain more performance in that way.

So, rather than post something about how CCX can achieve higher clocks with the 3950x (or any 3rd gen in general), you decided to necro a 5 month thread with sublety “aMd BaD xD” through Silicon Lottery’s traditional business practice

The only reason this kind of overclocking has to be done is because of the :poop: cores AMD gives its buyers on even its most expensive mainstream SKUs. I like how you try to spin it as a positive when really it’s just an additional pain in the neck (like buying a “compatible” AM4 motherboard and having to apply for, wait for, setup a system with, disassemble the system with, and then ship back an older AM4 chip to get your new one to work with your mobo).

“Traditional methods,” lul. You mean the way literally almost 100% of mainstream overclocking has been done for literally years?

Or maybe I’m going to update this thread on SL Ryzen 3000 overclocking by adding the same stats I provided for the previous SKUs with the ones for the just released 3950x. Here’s why:

Last point is that I’d like to say thanks for providing another reason not to recommend AMD: to overclock the chip right, you’re going to have to overclock each CCX. And you’re going to have to use AMD’s :poop: software, either through WIndows or through whatever :poop: bios foundation they provide mobo manufacturers.

You really are the worst messenger/salesperson for AMD. I reckon more people have avoided AMD products because of the biased :poop: you regularly post on forums like this one than have chosen AMD because of you. It’s actually kind of funny

So kaby lake owners with z170 boards at 7th gen launch were the exception?

TIL griefs doesn’t know CCX is actually more recommended for overclocking by known tech enthusiasts than the other method :rofl:, but that’s because Intel doesn’t provide that so he wouldn’t know

The horror of watching a YouTube video/guide about how to CCX overclock in Ryzen Master :scream:!

How horrifying that changing a few numbers till it’s stable through software is the most nerve wrecking moment in a DIY builders life :scream:!

How terrible it is to use 3rd party CCX overclocking if you don’t want to use Ryzen Master!

What would Ryzen users do without der8auer!

So
 You Necro a thread?

Did they?

1 Like

Smacking down Griefs is one thing (pretty easy to do given the amount of false statements he makes). Cheering AMD selling 93% of the CPUs this holiday season is another.

This isn’t good for consumers. AMD is jacking up prices because there is no competition. Just look at Threadripper 3 and the old 1800X. Unless Intel brings on competition, AMD is just as happy to charge sky high prices.

Do you even know what you’re talking about? You do realize there’s more to OC than just compute cores on both AMD and Intel platforms right? From your statement guess not

In reality you’re mad because you got called out for shilling in another thread. You decided to get angry and update this thread with more misinformation when your own source refutes your false claims just like your Jayz thread.

Similar story for my buddy with a Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 + 3700X. Was a tiny bit bumpy initially and a noisy stock cooler, but after doing a BIOS update and replacing the cooler with a NH-U12S it’s all been smooth sailing. XMP profile worked out of the box, good temps, and no mysterious behavior of any kind. The old i5-4590 machine this new build replaced was more temperamental.