SL Prot: Brief Review and Guide - Kyrian

I would be more concerned about base prot mitigation than hp. All bosses and many elite mobs hit pretty hard for your gear level in SL dungeons at least until you get some Conduit buffs.

Seeing as you seem quite proud of this post I might as well provide my feedback.

What do you mean? Compared to Warlord of Draenor? Even then it still shared a cd with Hammer of the Righteous, so we effectively still have that for holy power generation.

Shining Light probably deserved some mention around here.

We generally break rotation down into a priority system as that gives the reader a more intuitive sense of what youā€™re saying here.

The armour buff is true, although itā€™s partially made up for by increasing our passive mitigation with the consecration buff. However it definitely hits much harder than it did in BFA. It used to do 33% ap * 1.2 (Avengerā€™s Valor), now it does 50% ap * 1.25 (Judgment debuff) * maybe 1.8 (punish the guilty, depends on rank) * maybe 1.29 (vengeful shock, depends on rank) * up to 2.5 (bulwark of righteous fury leggo, depends on targets hit with AS) * occasionally 1.2 (divine purpose). We lose sera on it (because it sucks atm) but gain redoubt in return. Due to a variety of factors regarding moving from charges to holy power we also gain more casts of sotr in SL compared to BFA, so expect SotR to be doing a far greater proportion of your damage in SL. I would not be surprised if SotR damage gets nerfed specifically.

Eh debatable. For someone like me who did not use Bulwark of Light in BFA AS is undoubtably stronger in SL thanks to both the AS absorb and providing holy power. If you did use BoL well I havenā€™t done the maths to tell whether thatā€™s better or not but my gut says FA+Holy Avengerā€™s Engraved Sigil+Vengeful Shock+1 Holy Power > BoL+Inspiring Vanguard+Soaring Shield+Avengerā€™s Valor

All tanks are weaker going from Season 4 BFA/vers corruptions/prepatch in endgame gear to Season 1 of SL, but prot has gained survivability relative to the other tanks at current tuning.

You can do so far more than you could in BFA. Occasionally itā€™s better to spend all your holy power on WoGs rather than SotRs (heavy magic damage or bleeds for example), although such situations are rare.

No mention of Vengeful Shock? One of the most powerful conduits in the game?
Not picking up the 2nd potency in your soulbind tree hurts my soul

2 Likes

Great post! Thanks for the feedback. I finally finished Spires of Ascension so I can move on with my Beta Pally.

Seeing as you seem quite proud of this post I might as well provide my feedback.

This post is based on an unfinished beta which may be subject to change. It is a starting point for discussion. And it is better than all of the chicken little ā€œsky is falling postsā€ about the SL prot apocalypse.

Vengeful Shock
Avengerā€™s Shield causes your target to take 15% increased Holy Damage from you for 5 secs.

I disagree that that is one of the most Conduits in the game. Dps is always good but it is secondary for prot. That Conduit spec is not the be all and end all, just a point for discussion.

A rank 7 VS is over a 12% dps increase to my overall (might drop a bit if you use damaging trinkets or go venthyr/necrolord), which is a greater % increase damage than my avengerā€™s shield and hammer of the righteous do combined. The increase to your FA absorbs alone should be worth the slot over something like shielding words or resolute defender.

However if we ignore the affect to FA and just look at the dps increase:
Survival is ultimately a niche benefit, more dps is always beneficial. If picking a survival choice (or several choices in aggregate) enables you to kill a boss or do a large pull consistently then you should take the survival choice, but if it isnā€™t directly necessary, or the larger pulls donā€™t save more time than youā€™d save with increased dps, then youā€™ve wasted the opportunity cost of those choices.
More DPS allows you to save time in keys or makes dps checks on bosses easier, allowing you to recover from mistakes later on.
More DPS allows you to spend less resources on a pull because itā€™s shorter, and depending on the opportunity costs you make may mean you take less overall damage because things died before they could hurt you.
Think of what a damager dealer would do forā€¦ idkā€¦ 300 extra dps. Why would a tankā€™s extra 300 dps be any less valuable to a group?

Also stuff like shielding words and resolute defender are pretty trash in general use. Youā€™d need to find some very specific uses to get good value out of them.

2 Likes

Oh missed another reason: If running a survival choice (or several in aggregate) allows your healer to spend more time dps-ing than youā€™d gain with your dps choices, then thatā€™s worth it too.

2 Likes

Iā€™m new to Paladin but enjoying it a ton, and Holy Power feels pretty good. I appreciate the discussion here, including the arguments. Itā€™s good to see some back and forth around numbers and approaches to the game rather than another doom thread.

2 Likes

It will silence all 5 targets but outside of a few pulls it is a really bad spell.

We will have to agree to disagree on survival or mitigation vs dps, I will always favor survival. That said, I had not considered prot pally dps and you make a good point that it should consider it. I would like to add a section on prot dps to the guide and I can think of no one better than you to write it. Please make a paragraph or two post on prot pally dps and post it here and I will add it to the guide.

The Wowhead guide writer is a friend of mine, Iā€™ll defer to that and bloodmallet when SL launches.
In the meantime the Pre-Patch Guide covers the fundamentals.
Part of the reason Iā€™m uncomfortable making a proper guide is that Iā€™m expecting changes before/after launch. Prot pally (and last I checked vdh) damage is far higher than the other tanks, so either the other tanks are going to be buffed (unlikely) or weā€™re going to get nerfed. Iā€™m expecting nerfs targeted at trinkets, SotR and vengeful shock (and WoG for that matter), hoping for nerfs targeted at judgement and divine purpose, and hoping for buffs to seraphim and mitigation.

1 Like

Silences up to 5 targets, hits up to 25 targets (snap threat+damage), immediately caps out your Holy Power, First Avenger absorb and your Bulwark of Righteous Fury stacks, affected by Shield of Virtue. I think youā€™re selling it a little short.

2 Likes

Lets hope Tanks get buffed they could use it and dmg for tanks should be high.

So everything that is fun :cry: Lets hope not and Blizz really should be making classes feel OP. Every spec should feel like they are broken and getting away with being broken. Think the buff method far outweigh the nerf method for overall gameplay and fun.

If you can keep up sotr 100% (which is easy btw) than spamming sotr was fine. So I dont understand this thinking. You could always have it up 100% of the fight.