Sl prepatch and classic

Since i dont have beta i finally got the chance to check it out. Tried every class and spec and notice all the classes are a jumbled mess. If you log on and make a new character or copy over your old retail toons you will notice that you get back ALOT of classic spells and skills. But the way they are going about it doesnt make sense to me. Are they actually trying to get classic players to try shadowlands. I dont think it will work. The games’ core design is so different now. Blizz is probably gonna lose their remaining retail playerbase.

No.

They said they felt specs had become too distinct and they were moving back towards class identity.

They are doing this by unpruning classes and giving back old abilities.

People have been complaining about pruning since WoD, but maybe the success of classic helped move them to this decision.

2 Likes

They are doing things haphazardly. Why does enhance shamans have the only buff totem totem? Why is flametongue imbue baseline yet ele/resto do not go oom when casting dps spells? Why is primal strike back? These mechanics made sense when mana was a relevant resource. I love my classic shaman because the support it brings and mana management takes skill to manage.

Why is corruption a 2 second cast time for warlocks baseline? Even demo locks on classic can put points in improved corruption to make it instant.

I don’t disagree with you.

They’ve thrown some abilities back into the mix without any consideration as to whether they’ll actually be used. They then justified it by saying the abilities are more for flavor. So they’re kind of only half committed to depruning.

everything past wotlk was too over the top. player power lost all meaning and the illusion was broken that the game is just a hamster running on a wheel. not to say the expansions afterwards didnt have their own redeeming qualities, but realistically how many times can you “wow” a playerbase by letting them become more powerful?

3 Likes

They can give back all the abilities in the world and retail classes will still suck to play because of the designs and how they’re tuned just isn’t fun.

Everything is tied down to the borrowed and ironically shared power that literally every class has. SL is no different, instead of the current corruption they’re going to covenants and stuff to prop up the classes with the new shared abilities.

I remember a long time ago someone said something about the only way to make everyone happy was to make all the classes the same…

Well lookslike that’s what Blizzard is basically doing and masking the 3_roles with your class name here. I know that’s a bit exaggerated, but I think it paints the picture in a way about why retail classes are boring to play, basically because your class is kinda like a transmog for the covenant abilities.

1 Like

That hits the heart.

Most of us craved bigger challenges, rather than entirely new class iterations in and out.

As a warrior, Warlords of Draenor gave me some of my favorite raid bosses and challenges, while simultaneously giving me the worst version of Fury and Arms I had ever played.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for them to give me tranq back on my boomkin. The whole “only healers should heal” was stupid. It was nice having useful healing CD’s as a dps. It was one of the perks of playing a hybrid. But there really is no such thing as a hybrid anymore.

2 Likes

Shadowlands is BFA 2.0 with level reduced to 60.

It’s going to look packed at first but fall off pretty quickly.

BFA is a ghost town and classic kept the sub #s up. TBC will come in to save the stockholders day when Shadowlands becomes a ghost town.

1 Like

I am in the beta and the classes, so far, felt the same as BFA. If you are looking for it to be like Classic, you will be disappointed.

I do know enhancement shamans are going back to relying on mana instead of maelstrom or whatever.