Sinstone of "The Butcher" Doctor Theolen Krastinov from Classic Scholomance Found in Revendreth

5 Likes

He returned in MoP. The Vanilla quests were so dark and I felt bad for the servant ghosts there. He was a monster and I’m glad he will get his “redemption.”

3 Likes

Really highlights how Revendreth is, at its core, the most fundamentally optimistic realm. Even Krastinov isn’t written off as a lost cause - the Venthyr believe that there’s a decent person somewhere in there, even if it takes centuries of digging to get to it.

13 Likes

I found all of them months ago manually by combing the zone.

Nobbel made a video on it attributing it to my reddit post, which is likely how they know about it, so hmm

They’re all on the sinstone wowpedia page, there are various Azeroth NPCs

Man I’m actually mad, we have all of them cuz Laytis and I spent a solid 200+ hours over two weeks during beta to find them. No attribution when I even made a reddit post? Smh

https://www.reddit.com/r/warcraftlore/comments/j15xlo/revendreth_sinstones_of_azerothian_persons_spicy/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

2 Likes

I hope they add more sinstones in the future. It’s all really interesting to read.

Blackmoore, Benedictus, etc… Heck, I’d love to see what’s etched on Garrosh’s. We know his sins, but we don’t know what the Venthyr consider to be his sins.

6 Likes

I guess but you see a spirit getting drained into non existence for a tithe with the taxpayer going

“Eons of torment all for nothing. Shame”

Bit more of a shame. Sounds like an unimaginably cruel fate that I would hesitate to wish upon even history’s greatest monsters. Millenia of torture just to get unmade because of a drought? Christ that is bleak.

4 Likes

The guy doesn’t fade from existence from what I see but is instead now destined for the Maw!

As Danuser says Anima only manifests in a Soul after dying! The Players only have Anima due to dying and being brought back by Spirit Healers!

The Maw gets the Souls of Sinners that were stripped of Anima before their atonement could be complete. The Maw of course proceeds to ruthlessly beat(or in the case of Hatred: burn) the Stygia(part of the Soul containing Vices) out of them until they are loyal enough to become Mawsworn!

No some souls become shades/mawsworn, others are put into rocks until they crystallize and that’s what the mawsworn use for forging

So the Mawsworn are wearing the damned.

The Sins of them at least! The base of the Soul is probably at the center frozen in place by their Negative Emotion tainted Spirit Energies! The Spirit of the Soul going out of control due to negative emotions when the Soul is unable to move is an interesting notion!

No like, it’s confirmed that they lock the souls in “soul cages”, and they eventually crystalize and then get smelted into gear and weapons.

Well we know his pride would be one. Considering it was his pride that led him to resurrect Y’shaarj and allowed the Sha of Pride to gain a physical form.

Pride and Wrath to be certain. No one can fault Garrosh on a lack of wrath. What about Greed? He never chased personal wealth, but nor was he willing to accept the humble life Thrall had chosen for the Orcs. Would taking the lands of others to improve the lifestyle of the Orcs be considered greed? Or would the Venthyr look at that and place it as the mark of a good leader?

Sinstones and comments on them tend to be quite revealing about the Venthyr. Take the Blood Knight who devised the mana bombs. They were ready to throw him into the Maw, but he tortured a Naaru and that seemed a redeemable quality to them.

That is not entirely correct. Ve’nari talks about how Mawsworn forces are made:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/406282965438562314/783395371157160026/d2a4343163d6549caaccdad061fbb0de.png

By the time you are a shade, there is nothing of “you” even left to be loyal. You are an empty husk the Jailer can simply order around. The rank and file Mawsworn might as well just be automatons.

Souls not deemed suitable? He feeds to the beasts of the maw. That would of been Baine’s fate as his soul was deemed unworthy.

2 Likes

So the Stygia is the will of the Soul while the Black Anima is the leftover Death Energies that the Jailer can use!

I presume the usable Souls are the ones that still had Anima when they were thrown into the Maw while the unusable were just eaten, stuffed into Soul Cages to be crystalized into Stygia or ground to dust!

I mean, the whole point of that quest is that that kind of stuff is happening because of the artificially-imposed draught. It’s not part of the realm’s real purpose.

2 Likes

Yeah but Revendreth perhaps more than any other afterlife has flaws in its society that are directly called out by the main narrative. The Accuser compared to both her own Inquisitors and the Chamberlain makes it a pretty open question as to whether or not most souls are redeemed and have faced their sins vs. simply being beaten into submission, and given my usual position on torture, I admit it’s hard not to see it as the latter.

1 Like

Spiritual home of the Blue Lantern Corps? :slight_smile:

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2018/07/c71572dfc62306ea-600x338.jpg

The Fearstalker at least makes those who rule by Fear face their Sins while scarring others into submission though I would assume the others just beat their Sinners into submission.

The whole point of Revendreth is to make the Sinners repent of their Sins(either through making them face it or by beating them into submission) thus killing the Sin creating Sin Anima.

Said Sin Anima AKA the Shadow of Sin is not to be mistaken for Sin-touched(as the Sin-touched Deathwalker Mount calls it) Anima which is left behind when Mawsworn chop the Stygia/Soul Essence away from Irredeemable Souls that have been deemed usable for the creation of Mawsworn!

The Anima left behind from hacking away at Innocent Souls I presume is the Phantasma(extinguished Anima which is basically the Shadow of a Soul’s death) seen in Torghast.

Providing the Maw with Anima is presumably Revendreth’s entire purpose with Irredeemability being an excuse to cast Souls with normally inaccessible Anima into the Maw along with Souls with no Anima(who can still be crystalized into Stygia)!

… that man has a head like a–

I’m not gonna say it. But I’m not the only one who sees it, right?

1 Like

It’s still funny to see this, and yet still have people say that Wrath Sylvanas deserved the Maw for not forbidding apothecaries from experimenting on a handful of people.

I really do like this angle of Revendreth, the idea that no matter how heinous a crime, the venthyr within still see the potential to fix it. Drills in the idea that at its core, Revendreth and the Shadowlands as a whole aren’t really about morality, they’re about anima, and your usefulness to the machine of Death.

1 Like