Sin might be good for pvp in SL, but it may never be meta

Title might sound contradictory but here’s why. With inevitable nerf bats to sub damage and 25~% healing reduction that sin rogues offer, it’s possible that even in SL sin might be the best rogue spec for pvp. But it can never really dominate meta like it did in bfa. Because Kyrian exists. As soon as sin gets out of line, people will swap over to Kyrian, take the soulbind(excuse me if I’m using the wrong terminology but I think that’s what they are called) that automatically consumes phial at 25% health and bam, all the bleeds and poisons are gone. There are also other soulbinds that reduce stun/incap duration by 20%(pretty sure this wont stack with rele/orc anyway though) or stun everyone around for 3 seconds after falling below 30% health. Long story short, kyrian will offer tons of utility that will deter sin rogues more than any other spec. Ofc, this is all speculation but I think it’s a reasonable speculation.

And I approve of my own speculation because f@#$ sin.

Good. Now all the fotm scrubs will roll a different class.
No true rogue is swayed by some nerfs and covenants.

7 Likes

Its not even really players who swap classes based on fotm. Alot of the sin rogues on the ladder are actual rogue players who have been playing the class for a long time. It’s just gushing gave them a free 800 rating boost. The run of the mill bfa duelist level rogues getting their gladiator & 2700 achievement etc

There’s an even greater number of rogues who aren’t on the top 1000 ladder that rolled sin rogue because “lol ez 3k rating” meme. If Shadowlands hurts Sin as much as you speculate then those are the ones who will consider switching off.
The people who are long-time rogue players likely aren’t going to be too bothered by the changes and will adapt to whatever happens.

1 Like

Sensible thought process, but remember how Blizzard tends to operate outside of the realm of logic and reason.

They did allow for mutilate to basically Zugzug for 2 expansions now providing free glad titles to anyone that wants to collect. Not that other classes aren’t equally bad in this regard, just that wow is in a bad place because of garbage class design now days.

5 Likes

This is my main concern too.

Sub will eat dmg nerfs because “too high cc nurf damag pluz” so sin will be the bread and butter spec for all the non hardcore rogues. Then phial GG

Rogues looking dicey atm

1 Like

Assassination has been in the meta the past two expansions why would that change this time around?

:thinking:

I mean they kinda destroyed sub. Made combat a weird pirate thing (which is alright except for RtB) really sin is the only rogue spec that still kinda has the same feeling it did back in wrath. Which I like. I loved sub. I think old sub is the funnest most skill cap and interesting spec. They just went totally in the wrong direction with sub. Not sure if it’s FoTM.

3 Likes

More like bfa + demonic season of legion so 1~ expansion. And even in demonic season sub had a decent representation.

Sub in Cata
Combat in WoD
Assassination in Legion
Assassination in BFA

Basically were all free rating bumps, it’s not a unique phenomenon. This same pattern is expressed in other classes in current and past expansions also.

Sub did have some brief moments of dominance in both WoD and Legion, but hardly comparable to the listed free rides.

1 Like

Thats fine. Ive been a mut rogue since seal fate/cold blood days. There were several xpacs where it wasn’t “meta”. I like the playstyle. I like the whole poison assassin playstyle.

2 Likes

soooooooo, Cata?

Because in Wrath and TBC it had poison talents but really they did not do a whole lot in terms of damage impact in PVP. Most of the damage in PVP was damage provided by actual damage abilities and not the passive poison BS.

1 Like

soooooooo, vanilla. I played an orc rogue, sat in STV entire xpac as sin. bloodfury > ambush > CB > evis would one shot pretty much everything unless in plate.

Poison BS? Idk who hurt you man. Assassination rogue still utilized instant poison in vanilla. Yes their damage was mainly from ambush, bs, evisc. But I really enjoyed description of sin. Utilizing poisons and attacking unsuspecting victims. Creating poisons and crafting potions was super fun for me in vanilla.

1 Like

When every combat rogue takes that talent too…

Fully agree, but its not unique to assassination or anything, its just a rogue thing.

They really did not divide the class into segments until Cataclysm, and before that Assassinations damage was mostly physical.

like if you look at the Assassination talent tree from vanilla its stuff like Slice and Dice, Eviscerate, Expose armor, etc, etc…

Poisons in vanilla had its own tab and wasnt unique to the talent tree.

2 Likes