Sin damage and haste?

I quick simed my toon and it said i should be doing 11.5k, but i only do around 6.6-7.2k in mythic+. I keep garrote & rupture up on all targets and spend full 5 combos in between on Evenoms and Kidneys. Also every huge ilvl upgrade I get it takes a massive chuck of haste from me. I went from around 20% to 10% in 15 ilvls which really hurts my dps i feel. Are there any up to date guides you guys can point me to? Thanks in advance.

Also, these are the talents im running:
15: Elaborate Planning
30: Subterfuge
45: Vigor
60: Leeching Poison
75: Prey on the Weak
90: Toxic Blade
100: Poison Bomb

Sims should not be used as an expectation of dps. Are you fully raid buffed with flasks, potions, runes, etc on a 5 minute patchwerk fight in M+? Are you collecting the average of 10,000 such runs (which is months worth of M+s).

Sims should be used as a tool to evaluate rotation and gear changes. NOT as a benchmark for expectation of dps.

The value of a sim is “what percentage does my dps change when I swap this piece of gear for that piece of gear” or “what is the relative value of crit vs haste.”

3 Likes

Gotcha. But does that dps seem like im way behind at 356ilvl?

Honestly, yes.

2 Likes

Damn not really sure what im doing wrong. :frowning:

Are you pooling energy before TB/envenom? Are you keeping both poisons and bleeds on as many targets as possible? Are you remembering that garrote doesn’t require stealth anymore?

1 Like

yup. i could probably pool energy before tb/evenom better though.

2 Likes

What’s ur opener and rotation vs a boss?

Do you eat and use flask? Do you pre pot and pot again?

Bleed uptime?

Using fan of knives as a combo builder on 2+ mobs?

1 Like

Most sims are for single target patchwerk style fights (unless you tell them otherwise).

If you are trying to reach your sim dps, you should focus on tuning your gear for single target. Right now your gear is pretty out of sorts for that kind of sim.

Here are my recommendations for single target improvements to your gear:
Azerite Gear:
Change your chestpiece to Ruinous Bolt - Gutripper
Change your shoulders to Liberators Might - Gutripper
Change your helm to Twist the knife - Overwhelming power

Secondaries: Your current stat weights (according to sims) are:
MH Weapon dps > Agi > Haste > Crit > Mastery > Vers

Talents:
Elaborate Planning
Master Assassin (You don’t have enough haste, or the right traits to make full use of subterfuge, also twist the knife works great with master assassin)
Vigor
Iron Wire
Poison Bomb

Weapons & Rotation:
Nothing improves your dps as fast as weapons or proper rotations, regardless of what your secondaries are at. Run warfronts, arathi rares, normal/heroic uldir (use bonus rolls on mother/Zul) etc and get some weapons asap. Highest item level in your mainhand, always.

Rotation for Master Assassin (single target):
Garrote, Mut (till 4+cp), Rupture, Vendetta/Galecallers, Toxic Blade, Mut (till 4+cp), Vanish, Envenom, Mut (till 4+cp), Envenom. Then refresh bleeds when they reach <6 seconds and squeeze in as many envenoms as you can inbetween refreshing and use Toxic Blade on cooldown.

Rotation for Master Assassin (aoe):
Garrote, Fan (till 4+cp), Rupture repeat fan+rupture onto at least 3-4 targets. Then start using Toxic Blade/fan/Envenom onto a priority mob until you need to refresh ruptures.

Last note: GET DARKMOON FATHOMS (really? Blockades?) Fathoms is the single best trinket a rogue can get until 385 level trinkets and even then they are sidegrades. That alone is a 1k dps upgrade for you.

Use’s tank trinkets, has wrong wep enchants and zero ring enchants, wonders why his damage is bad… Blizzard this is why LFR is bad, this is the fruit it produces.

5 Likes

Look up rogue discord and go under assassination for guides on how to use your rotation / enchants. Get rid of Blockades trinket, dont use leeching poison or tb in m+. exsang and cheat death are always a go to. learn how to use subterfuge correctly in your opener and practice vanishing with subterfuge on trash for the juicy garrote damage.

look for Shrouded Suffocation trait azerite gear, its best for m+

use the dungeon slice sim if youre gonna compare your sims to anything for m+. take it with a grain of salt however. get more haste! its prime for ST and 10% is what people aim for on fortified weeks, on tyrannical go more haste.

get some weakauras to track your bleeds and cds. thats always a gamechanger in damage having information easier to see.

This is probably a big chuck of dps you’re losing, depending on how often you do it. A few times during a full run isn’t much. But if you’re doing it on every trash pull, it adds up.

1 Like

If he’s using kidney a lot, PotW becomes basically mandatory. Your personal damage is largely irrelevant (in terms of lost damage from a kidney. If it prevents tank death it saves more time than it costs). It’s party dps that matters and the 10%dmg from everyone for 6sec will more than offset the lost damage from the rogue.

Although if the OP is the only reliable stun in the group, he’s better off going outlaw. The stuns will then do damage and be available more often.

This is all correct. I’m just pointing it out so the OP is aware of it when he’s evaluating he’s DPS. Dropping 5-6 CP’s on a Kidney Shot vs Envenom will be a personal dps loss. Especially if you use it frequently in your rotation.

Don’t use kidney shot. Since you are concerned specifically about your DPS, this is really hurting you. Also, get rid of poison bomb and switch to crimson tempest.
Any mythic out there, other than a boss fight, your group is likely pulling multiple mobs. Your rotation should be Garrote (3-4 targets) > FoK to 5 CP’s > crimson tempest > and FoK to build CP’s for ruptures. You will have to use your discretion on reapplying garrotes and crimson tempest depending on how fast the mobs are dying.

your haste is very low at 9%. your crit and mastery are good but crit might be too much for your haste.

lots of good replies in here that could assist imo. Get the chest from Heroic Fetid devourer ok so because it has shrouded suff azurite trait and get so many garrotes from stealth/vanish stealth.
because garrote is always basically top dmg ability. your DoT up time should be considered as well for rupture/garrote/deadlypoison. losing deadly poison drops your dps significantly. like losing 2k dps at the min.

you NEED to change out blockades and get your rings enchanted. get your weps MH haste OH crit instead of gale force striking.

and remember if ur trying to do big juicy DMG you use every consumables you possibly can and every buff/dps cd burst, maybe even a def cd.

if ur trying to do big juicy lots of lots of crits DMG like savix the ret paladin you have to get your rings enchanted. you could lvl zandalari enchanting really easy too btw and make a bunch of enchants

edit* since ur haste is 9% remember venomous wounds passive when ur bleeds tick or enemy dies w/ rupture you still get 7 energy upon ticks. (x3 envenom after toxic blade) at least
/cast [mod:shift,@focus][] Blind

#showtooltip
/cast [@focus, mod:shift] shadowstep
/cast [@focus] kick

Dont go by the cookie cutter flavor sights,

Haste, mastery crit.

Nothing personal
Shroud
Scent of blood.

Master poisoner , and I’m hitting players like a Fing truck, and staying around 17k dps in mythics

2 Likes

Sounds par for the course. I’m 371 and hover around 12-13k. Keep getting upgrades, focusing on crit/haste, and the damage will come :slight_smile:

imo… haste > crit > mastery… trust me… those speed ticks of dmg really add up :slight_smile:

buff everything that is able to enchant with haste gems and haste enchants.

more low dmg ticks versus seldom seen fat crit numbers… more low ticks is way better. im pumping 16k dps from sim and the only people i cannot beat in the early stages of BFA are high AOE classes and a well geared DH.

hopefully they make us rogues the same as legion when argus was around… i was top DPS all round with assassination.