Simple Kyrian Ability "Fix"

Current text: “Instantly cast Holy Shock/Avengers Shield/Judgement on up to 5 targets within 30 yards.”

For both Ret and Prot this is almost useless in ST.

My idea (although I am sure others have thought of it as well) to make it somewhat viable in a wider variety of situations: “Rapidly cast 5 Holy Shocks/Avengers Shields/Judgements at random targets within 30 yards.”

Functionally it would work identical as it does now on 5+ targets. However on 4 targets, one of them will be hit twice, on 3 two of them will be hit twice, on 2 one will be hit twice and the other thrice, and on 1 it will be five times.

If this somehow makes it too OP in single target then you can add on: “Each successive strike on the same target hits slightly weaker than the one preceding it.”

21 Likes

I’m fine with that.

2 Likes

Oh, I just had another idea. Also super simple but might cause balance issues.

Keep everything else the same as now but the cooldown. Instead of being a flat 1 minute instead have it be 12 seconds per target hit.

4 Likes

Hah, Avenging Wrath card from Hearthstone. It would be cool but I think the purpose of the ability is to give an aoe attack that buffs a follow up, so if it’s casting five in succession the animation will have to be lightning fast to fit in one GCD or it’ll become a channel like that one time they tried to bring back Holy Wrath as at talent.

Edit: I love the idea btw. Not saying I’m against it.

1 Like

Could maybe just keep it like it is now but with an addition of something like “increased damage by 20% for each enemy less than 5”?

That would keep it at one animation, would be useful for multi target or single target, and would have all targets hit with the same amount instead of some being hit twice and others once?

1 Like

That’s definitely also an option.

I mean, there are so many simple ways they can fix it, it is really surprising that they haven’t already.

I think the best way to do it would actually be in waves, each one taking a (but not activating) a gcd. So let us say there are 2 targets. Wave one will hit them both simultaneously, wave two will hit them both as well and then wave 3 will hit just one.
Your character will be doing this independent from your other actions following the initial gcd from pressing it. This will allow skilled players to actually weave in other abilities to take advantage of multiple “judgement” buffs.

This might be more complicated to make happen though.

The simplest way to do it I think would be like you said and have it be lightning fast within a single gcd. This was actually the way I originally envisioned it.

That would gimp it’s HoPo generation.

I like the idea of the change of it just throwing out 5 total and hitting targets multiple times if there’s less than 5. Mostly for PvP reasons, because if a judgement hits 5 times that means there’s 5 crit rolls instead of a single 5x power judgement that can put someone right into HoW range.

This would be beyond broken with Holy Avenger and wings.

To the point it would no longer be prioritized on multi-target (which is still should be) and used exclusivity in small burst windows.

1 Like

You might be be right. If that is the case we can just go with the original idea.

The point was to make each covenant ability situational like they said. Single target is one situation, and multi target is another situation.

They are supposed to excel in certain situations, but they are NOT supposed to be useless in the others. Ion’s recent post pretty much said as much. Divine Toll is all but useless in Single Target right now and that is not supposed to be the case.

I take it that OP hasn’t looked at the Divine toll conduit…

Should really read Palegos soulbind and our potency conduits.

The ability shouldn’t require modifiers to become even slightly useful in single target. We shouldn’t have be tied to a single soulbind to make it useful nor should we have to take up conduit slots that can be used for other things. Also, the conduit is just more RNG, like honestly, who wants more rng?

It doesn’t have to be super strong baseline, it just has to feel good to push.

i mean im stil ltaking divine toll since its a double damage judgment in single target. considering how judgement scales in endgame and with toher stuff like soulbinds and conduits. i can see divine toll judgement hitting hard.

I think there is a glyph or Conduit that does something like this.

I would like it baked into the baseline ability, as you suggest, and repurpose the conduit for something else.

1 Like