Sigryn - Mage Tower

I completed it yesterday. This fight is NOT overtuned at all and I haven’t played my ret pally for years! It felt overtuned for the first attempts because I realized the fight is quite different from the original mage tower challenge. This is a dps check fight. You need to kill Jarl at around 5min otherwise it gets very very dicy. It’s all about the right strat and shouldn’t be nerfed at all. I checked my logs and about 75% of my damage is Divine Storm followed by Wake of Ashes. So learn how to group them up and Divine Storm and Wake of Ashes as much as possible. Use Final Reckoning for the Faljar Shield dps check mechanic and make sure you build up some holy power before. Besides divine storm only use holy power for emergency word of glory healing. A good cue for upcoming the shield mechanic is when Jarl starts to follow you around.

Get a stopwatch timer weakaura or use the one in method raid tools addon. The trickiest points are the 3:45min and 5:00 min marker where Jarl and Sigryn have their cast back to back plus you will have runes to run to. So Repentance Sygrin at 3:45-3:50 window and same thing with the 5min marker. It’s hard to get this timing right because you’re quite distracted with runes, valkyries etc.

Faljar will follow you when you interrupt her cast. That’s how you get him follow you to Jarl. And Sigryn you have to break out of the repentance right AFTER she you hear Blood of the father spell which is actually not going off because she is CCed, but you will still hear it. She will then follow you as well. Jarl sometimes doesn’t move at all and there is nothing you can do about it. So you have to bring Sigryn and Faljar near Jarl. Then Divine Storm, Wake of Ashes as much as possible.

Use Avenging Wrath pretty much as soon as it becomes available again. It lined up perfectly for me. Hold the 3rd available Avenging Wrath right after the major mechanics are over. That time window between major mechanics is your last big burn phase, group them up and blast. Use any major defensive CDs or health pot if needed so you don’t waste holy power for healing. If Jarl isn’t dead before the 5min marker you HAVE to be ready to use hindrance on him or stun or shield of vengeance. At minute 5 you have to repentance Sigryn and stay away from Jarl until his mechanic is over unless you have stun availabe. Don’t worry about damage at this point. Just live, dodge, heal, hindrance Jarl if he is enraged, defensives. You will get one last challenge where Faljar’s shield needs to get broken right after this. Final Reckoning and try to get at least Jarl or Sigryn in it. Heal, dps, heal, dps. This is where Jarl has to die. If not your dps is too low. Either your gear is too low or not enough buffs or not enough aoe damage. Get everything you can to buff you up. And practice managing to group up the 3 bosses as much as possible while you’re moving to runes or the gap between valkyries. I fully sent it on my 3rd avenging wrath with pot and drums. Remember, the drums last 40 seconds which will help you break Faljar’s shield after the 5min marker. I suggest you use [Potion of Prolonged Power] because it lasts for a whole minute and it should help you getting over the hump. But you can also fully send it at pull. Try out both and decide for your own.

Don’t panic after Jarl dies. If you haven’t finished the fight by the 5:30 marker you need to repentance Sigryn again. Then it’s literally basic mechanics. With Jarl being dead and no enrages and the tornado mechanic the fight is super easy. Repentance Sigryn in time and break shield.

3 Likes

Thanks for the Timers. Ill try it out

I finally completed it.

Consumables used:

• Veiled Augment Rune
  • Steak a la Mode
  • Spectral Flask of Power
  • Potion of Unbridled Fury

I highly recommend downloading the DBM mage tower timers. It was really helpful to see what is coming up next. It helped me pre-repent Sigryn so I could avoid her AOE, as well as planning my hammers for bladestorms. I popped my potion of unbridled at the start of the fight to focus as much cleave as possible onto the 3 with my wings up before I had to start worrying about their individual mechanics. I focused cleaving off of the caster most of the fight, or on any one of the melee chasing me while I was stepping on runes. Sometimes you just get bad RNG with the valkys where you need to break the shield and you have to run across the room to avoid insta-death. Cleaving helps a lot and consecrating when you’re able to cleave 2-3 targets, any damage is helpful. Also i’ll note that I didn’t use drums for this fight at all. Could’ve been why it took me a bit longer to complete it, but 3k per drum on my server was not ideal.

I wanted to add something else.
A focus macro for repentance.
/cast [target=focus] Repentance

This plus the DBM timer to see when Sigryn was going to get her buff was huge.

Just finished it myself. I feel it is definitely more difficult that the Legion version. Not sure if it is overtuned, just very very difficult. Had to optimize everything, talents, timing, macros, etc. Even after nerf, Crusader enchant is absolutely worth it for the self healing. 42% of my healing was the enchant. I got a random green ilvl 49 polearm to slap it on. Took me 80 attempts.

Best of luck to all of you who are continuing to try! :slight_smile:

Depends, if you did it during Antorus you were just out gearing it.
When it was just released it was very much harder than what it is currently.

I’ve done it the first day I resubbed which was the second day of the mage tower being release and it took me 6 attempts. Pretty easy overall.

I remember in Legion it took me 200+ tries, because I was doing it within the month of its release and it was much harder with the gear available when it was first launched.

And in Legion you could just keep sigryn perma repented and you got it. I like that now it’s a dps check.

I don’t mind the DPS check but at the same time I think the challenge should’ve been tuned to let a non-buffed non-optimized character be able to do it. Needing a flask, rune, weapon augment, healing pots, drums, gem sockets, special enchants, etc doesn’t feel like a skill challenge to me. It feels like a cheese challenge to get people to buy lots of consumables to be able to barely meet the DPS checks.

3 Likes

I might get hated for saying this
But I’m fine with mage tower being hard. Not everything has to be given for free or with no effort.

It’s supposed to be a solo challenge, I’d hope that the challenge part would last.

1 Like

I mean that’s exactly how it was intended to be during 7.2 release, tuned for people to be ToS geared but released before the raid was even out.

So if you wanted to complete it early you either had to go full sweat mode or have a super easy tower challenge for your spec.

Guys I am doing everything said above but have died several times with Jarl at like 10%. Anyone able to look at my gear on profile for any glaring oversites?

I am basically grouping and focusing Jarl the whole fight while interrupting. I noticed they do a overlap mechanic at ?20% and again at 5 min mark. I try to save bubble for this or BoP. Are you guys focusing Jarl too or primary targeting Sjogren with cleave on others?

Feel like I am just doing something wrong, at like 100 attempts. Consumables are:
Drums+Potion of Unbridled Fury
Any food
Augment rune

Have health pot, macros and DBM.

I have completed the fel bear challenge but gosh I just am really struggling here to finish the last bit

My personal suggestions would be to switch Blade of Wrath to Empyrean Power and maybe use Shadowcore Oil on your weapon. I also found the movement speed enchant for the cloak to be fairly helpful with runes at times. It allowed me to save my steed for bad val’kyr placements.

Best of luck

The Shadowlands speed gem for all other SL gems you have socketed was super helpful. I had 12% speed which helped me save movement charges for clutch moments.

I finally did it today in 8 attempts, 58 all up from the previous weeks(most of those were messing up/learning the fight and experimentation)
The last attempt took me 11mins and 59seconds and I nearly screwed it up. At the end I didn’t repent Sigryn fast enough, so she got the buff. Accidentally broke Repentance early while trying to finish off Runrseer Faljar. Managed to heal through Blood of the Father and end the fight with only 3hp left lol.

Ooof… got it done just in time. Took me 72 pulls. I got the Fury and WW done in 5 pulls each! This one has a lot more random elements, imo.

I also recommend the movement enchants, they really helped. 10% on boots (under 50ilvl) - 8% from gems - and 2% on cloak = easy 20% made the difference for me.

2 Likes