Should Selling/Buying AOTC or other Raid/PVP Achievements Be Cheating?

I dont see a problem with it… There are many reasons some people are not able to get into a decent raiding guild. whether they put in the work to progress with a guild or they farm or buy gold (keeping in mind someone had to put in the work to farm that gold)

so whatever. If people weren’t so hung up on AOTC/raider io as a means of judging other people this probably wouldn’t be a thing

1 Like

I don’t see why… since people are using other tools now available to form their groups. I would say that tool diminished AOTC more than buying runs… Which btw has been going on for as long as I can remember.

1 Like

How it is not a luxury now ? No one needs carries paid or otherwise.

I’m fine with it up to a point. But when the website names come out so does my report button.

2 Likes

Blizzard actively encourages people to spend real money (via tokens) to purchase character power increasing upgrades, whether from the AH or via services.

The only time it’s considered cheating is if you bypass Blizzards attempt to make a cut of the transaction, then suddenly real money transactions for gameplay services are not OK.

They fully and absolutely support the p2w business model of Money>Gold>Services. It’s a major revenue stream.

It can never be considered cheating as long as tokens exist (and they will as long as the game is running).

Here is an example of Blizzard’s Tacit support for the selling of runs and goods within the game.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure people used to sell carries even in classic.

Edit: Buying gold was bannable because Blizzard did not sell it. I think it is still bannable if you buy gold from anyone but Blizzard using money.

Used to be reserved to mythic only and was rather scare due to how limited the pool of players was that could offer such a service.

This is cheating whether or not it is allowed in game.

There is no “should be” about it.

1 Like

It’s laughable that you think you get to define what is and is not cheating in blizzard games.

You don’t. It’s not until blizzard says it is

3 Likes

I don’t understand why people hate this so much. If the buyer has enough gold to drop on a carry then they should go for it. The guilds who offer them use the gold to fund flasks, feasts, enchants, and pots for their group. Mutual beneficial transaction. Stop throwing out the word “cheating”. An insult to your ego isn’t cheating.

3 Likes

Well if you consider it cheating but it’s not a bannable offense then what exactly would you do about it? Give them a fine and take their gold?

they ask us to report anyone advertising for that kind of stuff so i guess it’s illegal or highly frowned upon?

either way ; you’ve got to be some sad kind of person to need to buy AOTC.
the only value in AOTC is the fun of getting it yourself, legitimately.

i could buy someone’s old karate trophy ; but what’s the point if i still can’t do karate … lol

1 Like

I find it quite scummy. I also never understood why they don’t list how much gold they’re selling the runs for you always have to whisper them before they give you a gold price. Sometimes I’ve been whispered back with cash prices too or asked to hop in a discord. It’s so scummy and shady i just avoid them and any people that sell PvE

1 Like

I’m not sure how it is cheating, as what are you really gaining? I have bought carries numerous times. I work hard, and don’t want to waste my game time with failed pugs. I don’t want to waste time on progression raiding either. So I pay someone else for their time and expertise in order for me to save time. Why not?

I don’t use tokens though. I made a lot of gold in WoD and Legion and what better way to use that than to buy carries?

Not really. AotC isn’t exactly the biggest achievement known to man since Heroic is generally considered puggable as soon as 3 weeks into the tier where you have 22 weeks to get it. People do have various skill levels, but it isn’t going to give anyone any real benefits. I mean I guess it is bragging rights to an extent, but we still have about 2 months until AotC expires and ROUGHLY 23% of the population has AotC. Is that inflated by bought runs? I mean to some extent maybe, but its probably still at least 20%.

The only huge benefit of buying a run of Uldir (since there is no mount) is you get to link AotC to get into more pugs, but chances are if you aren’t good at the game you are going to get kicked regardless of your achievement by any competent group leader of an AotC group.

I’m sorry but its cheating according to whom? The only thing Blizzard does not allow is selling runs for real life currency. They could care less if you buy it with gold since no matter what you cannot convert gold back into USD or whatever currency your country uses.

but you can just buy unlimited gold with real money…so…

If the market allows such a transaction to take place and Blizzard is fine with it, I don’t really see a problem with it.

Yes, they approve of this: