Should Selling/Buying AOTC or other Raid/PVP Achievements Be Cheating?

If

and

and

It sure seems like your original premise is false.

2 Likes

Everyone earns AOTC. They’ve worked to acquire or hone the items or skills that secure them their spot in a raid.

Tend to your own level of involvement and how you obtained your achievements and let others do the same.

6 Likes

I’m sure for some it does, but not for me. In fact my guild sold mount runs at the end of WoD. We made enough to pay for our repairs for more then one xpac.

Well yeah, It does, but that doesn’t make it cheating. The punishment should always match the crime and calling something cheating implies it should be a bannable offense. Diminishing the value of an achievement is no where near a bannable offense. And Bliz is in the business of making money, they are already having problems with keeping subs up without pruning their customer base for stupid stuff like that when it really hurts no one.

1 Like

I really dislike it personally, but I dont really consider it cheating. You are taking a risk when you use sometimes shady outside services for the game so thats on the people that choose to do it.

A blue just posted yesterday I believe that he made a lot of gold selling carries so pretty sure blizzard is just fine with it.

Yes. Post must be at le

They’re OK with the concept, but it’s an unsupported transaction–which means they won’t step in if someone welches on the deal.

But the thread isn’t about how Ythisens feels about it. It’s about how you feel about it. Personally, I’m OK with the general concept of people paying gold for a seat in a run through or something of that nature. I’m very, very against people paying real life money for it. Somewhere in there is a line I’m not happy with.

I don’t think there should be mini-businesses inside of WoW. Conceptually, there’s some problems with that for me–mostly dealing with the misuse of someone else’s intellectual property. If there were a licensing fee involved? I might have less of a problem with it. I don’t really know.

2 Likes

Should Selling/Buying AOTC or other Raid/PVP Achievements Be Cheating?

no

completely agree. Blizz muddied the waters a bit with the token sales though. someone can buy a bunch of tokens, convert their dollars to gold then use that gold to buy a carry. that’s technically within the bounds of the ToS.

At the end of the day, I don’t have a problem with it as long as the transaction from player to player happens in in-game gold.

2 Likes

As far as Blizzard is concerned, it does apply.

I was addressing the how does blizzard feel about it part of it… If they frowned on it I don’t think a blizzard employee would be on here saying they made a lot of gold from doing it.

I don’t have a problem with it.

This causes people to purchase WoW tokens which is great for ATVI’s bottom line. You can bet your bananas that the apes in charge at Activision want to see positive growth indicators in the lagging Blizzard segment.

So, someone wants to spend $60 of their money to get “AOTC” a few months late? Not a problem. Same reason they don’t care if you buy 40 WoW subscriptions and multibox to grief people with your personal army of paladins.

3 Likes

Exactly this, You may like or hate it but ultimately if even Blizz employees do it It’s not cheating.

1 Like

P2win was more subtle in WoD but by the end of Legion WoW was blatant, in-your-face p2win. You could buy mount runs, achievement runs, m+ runs, heroic and mythic raid runs on almost every server. Before then, it was limited mostly to the highest pop realms.

As long as in-game gold is used to pay for in-game services, Blizzard doesn’t care. Especially if it results in more WoW token sales. :wink:

I disagree slightly. Speeding and capital murder don’t both merit life imprisonment. There are different forms of cheating. Cheesing a mechanic that lets you solo a raid boss is cheating, but I don’t consider it “bannable” like I would if someone is botting.

1 Like

As long as they are not paying real money for the service of a carry it’s all good.

I don’t know. When it was a luxury I didn’t see the issue but now that it has exploded well there is clearly a problem.

I think the genie has been out of the bottle ever since blizzard started selling gold.

1 Like

So ITT we have OP more concerned with what others are doing than what he is doing and as is usually the case, the game has been soured as a result.

Focus on your experience and you might have more fun.

4 Likes

I’ve never once bought something like AOTC, or achievements. I’ve also never once suggested someone else do it. I do not believe in such, and I think people should find a raiding guild and experience it for themselves. I say this as the GM of a guild of capable people who I raid with every week and I enjoy the company of.

However.

It doesn’t mean that something like this is cheating, depending on the situation and the circumstances. If someone wishes to purchase something like AOTC from a guild using in game currencies such as gold, then that’s on them. I have nothing to say on that, as everything is done through the game.

On the flipside, if something like this is done with real world money, then I think it should be against the rules. The problem with the WoWtoken is it blurs the lines between the two, and these points can sometimes intersect at the same place. Regardless, if only gold is given to the party capable of doing the carry, then I don’t think this is an issue.