Should Paladins Start Tanking ASAP?

Hello! I made a prot paladin recently and I’ve just hit level 15. I would like to start tanking in dungeons so that I’m learning from the get go, but it looks like we only have an extremely limited taunt at such a low level (and the better taunt doesn’t come in until level 75).

As a new player, it’s quite unlikely that I can outdamage my peers (especially if they have heirloom gear), meaning that they’re likely to pull aggro on multiple enemies if I’m doing AoE.

So @ other low level paladins-- is it worth it to start tanking as soon as you hit lv 15, or do you usually wait until you get the better taunt?

I would start tanking now. In lower level dungeons, it’s not a big deal if dps get aggro, and some will even run ahead of you. It’s easier to learn how to tank when you have less skills. Rotate attacks to the mobs beating on your teammates when you don’t have a taunt available. See the icy veins protection pally class guide for priorities, rotation, talents, max dps (more aggro), etc.

2 Likes

Learning to tank when you have limited abilities will just make you a better tank when you get them available to you later on. Learning a new class or role one ability at a time helps you understand what each one does and how it interacts with other abilities as you gain them as well. So yeah, don’t be afraid to jump straight into it.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks so much! I’ll definitely start now, then.

Don’t be too upset if DPS run ahead of you. Just go at your own pace, if they die, they die, if you can catch up and save them, you do. It’s not too big of deal, mute them (set them to ignore) if they get toxic with you. Just focus on learning the game from a tank stand point, and don’t be afraid to go Big! Good luck! And welcome to the wonderful world of tanking!

Good point on the Go Big. Most of the players are on alts and have run the dungeons many times. They want to go fast so it’s a good idea to push the pace as the tank. If your team is struggling you obviously slow down.