Should I start from level 1?

Hi, I’m pretty new to wow and this is my first ever forum post. I recently hit 120 on a boosted character that I got with BFA and also have a 120 that came with Shadowlands, but both of these feel a bit unsatisfying. My question is, if I start a new character from lvl 1 will I actually benefit? ie, I’d like to unlock the allied races and experience some of the older content, but I also know I haven’t yet fully experience BFA. I’m just not sure what to do at this point.

Also, I’d love to get involved in a guild or something, but I’m not really sure how to approach that.

Hi.
It looks like you use it on your Hunter? Hunter a good class, you also get 2 range specs and a melee spec as hunter…

I would say make a level 1 alt to just play the game. Umm. Starting at level 120 does not lock you out of old content. Really it make doing old content faster. But starting at level 1 and leveling lets you see the game differently.

So Starting at 1 or 120 wont effect getting allied races. Starting at 120 will only get them faster as your already there in BfA. I say, my 2cent; Is go though BfA and get up on story, then go backwards in expansions. If you don’t want to level a alt.

fyi. BfA, WoD and Legion Expansions have a thing call Pathfinder Achievement. It petty much grind a lot of rep and do story, ther another thing for WoD too. This is to unlock flying for that expansion.

Thanks for your input!

I would make some level 110 trial characters and test the icy veins rotations and talents on the dummy and short battle scenario to see what you like. Perhaps level a few to 30ish before committing to the run to 120.

I suggest playing BFA and buying heirlooms so your low characters get a 45% exp bonus. Almost everyone has several characters. If you know for sure a specific allied race you want for your next character then stay in BFA until you unlock it.

tl;dr: join a guild at any level at any time. use wowhead.com to solve all your wow problems. level from 1

You can join a guild at any level, including level 1. Look for guilds in game using the Guild Finder tool (hit the J key and select Guild Finder). Maybe select the focus of “Social and Leveling” (since you’re new) and find something that looks interesting. Then ask someone in the guild questions before asking for an invite.
To find out who in the guild is online (and in your area) type this in chat

/who guildname

You’ll get a list of names in a separate popup window. Right-click name, select whisper and say,

Hi I’m interested in your guild, do you have time to answer some questions?

Don’t be surprised if they don’t answer. They may not be paying attention to their chat or they may be very involved in something and can’t reply. Wait a couple of minutes and then try the next person. Once you do get answers you should feel like they are genuine and they aren’t trying to sell you something (walk away from anyone like that).

My advice is find people who are like you and who welcome new players (since that’s you). Don’t get taken in by promises to help you all over the place, everyone expects you to be self sufficient. Asking questions is OK and occasionally asking for help in doing stuff as well but just be polite, people are online to enjoy themselves not cater to you. Many, many guilds give away stuff like bags (useful for a new guy) and sometimes gold. Don’t expect it, but if its offered take it.

NOTE: you best resource for everything world of warcraft related is wowhead.com . Every item. Every quest. Search for it. Read player comments. Your questions will be answered and your problems will get solved.

Above all, don’t be afraid to cut ties if you don’t feel like the group is right for you.
Just be classy about it. Its perfectly OK to say, “I didn’t feel comfortable in the guild” or “It doesn’t feel like what I need right now. Thank you and best of luck”.
You’ll never know when you may meet those people again and many times I’ve been in guilds, quit, and 2 guilds later… I’m playing with the same people. It’s going to take you many tries to find the right group for you.

I think I had a boost when I first started the game but chose not to use it. I was very glad I did. I only use boosts on characters I feel like I need for something specific but don’t enjoy playing. The boost gets me to max level (or close enough) where I get what I want and can get back to playing what I really like.

There’s no rush in getting to max level. Wow is not a race. If it was, it would be like an iron man competition where you swim 10 miles, run a marathon and then bike 100 miles. Or maybe its more like a death march since it has no end. In my opinion, leveling is also the place to learn about the game. Take your time. Stop and smell the roses and try everything (fishing, archaeology, battle pets, pvp, whatever). Things that may seem stupid and NOPE, no way I’ll like that can be things you end up loving after trying them (that was pvp for me) .

Yes, you will find that a lot of people are already max level and talking about “cool stuff”, but ultimately a huge chunk of your initial game play will be the leveling experience and unless you’re made of money and can afford character boosts every time, leveling is going to part of every character you make going forward.

If you don’t enjoy the leveling part of the game you need to think, “Is this the right game for me?” Maybe you find the end-game stuff so great it outweighs the leveling part. The Shadowlands xpac that should be released towards the end of the year is supposed to drastically change the leveling experience and make it easier and faster to go from 1 to max, but for now the max is 120.

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain :slight_smile:

that was really nice and interesting for me aswell.