Should i play druid if don't want to tank?

im not much of a tank person rolled a druid after my last death ( HC ) since it is literally one of the few classes i have yet to roll in HC. figured i’d do fine just doing cat dps for dungeons and maybe healing but looking up some stuff online seems like they either say it’s good for tanking 5mans for group content only.

any thoughts? people keep saying they are jack of all trades yes but doesn’t mean they excel at say balance spec or healing in classic imo. i think balance has a mana issue as well as resto compared to say a holy paladin or priest which would be better for healing.

also seems like people are picky for HC dungeon groups. not sure why but i see a lot wanting specific classes only maybe for gear drops or probably dps idk. seen a guildie having trouble finding a dungeon group cause he was a rogue, had same issue when classic launched on my hunter

sure, just say you’re a healer.
i did that recently, didn’t tank a single dungeon.

I’m going to say you may be misinterpreting what those guides are trying to say.

It doesn’t mean if you make a druid the only way to play and get invites you have to go bear tank. It just means as a tank class in general, the excel in 5 man groups and lack in raids.

I can guarantee of you make a Druid you’ll find groups as tank dps or heals.

1 Like

yea hopefully i haven’t played vanilla or classic that much so i don’t have much experience to go off of besides what few i have and with my hunter i got declined so often for like a mage or rogue when classic launched.

Spec however you desire and, in that spec, fill whatever roll you desire. Druid can do that better than any class until ST level content or so.

No real rez as a healer is a bummer but… wait, who gives a hoot in HC?

2 Likes

I don’t play HC, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I feel that HC is all about playing to your strengths, so if you don’t want to tank, then you shouldn’t. :slight_smile:

However, I think it’s probably useful to get to know the druid toolkit, and sometimes popping bearform and taunting could maybe come in clutch, so food for thought.

For what it’s worth, I rolled druid the first time I played, I love playing druids, and I have never tanked anything. They’re a little hard to start if you’re not used to them (at least it was for me), but it was worth the effort. I also play shammies, for the same reasons. I’m currently playing a hunter for the first time; think I’m loving that at well :slight_smile:

Been playing since '07, for what that’s worth …

This is for HC, where most of your experience will be leveling and 5 man instances, all druid roles are fine for that, you can do bear, cat, wanna be tree, or even boom chicken without a prob.

They are really one of the more flexible classes, the challenges with druids comes as you get into raids, where their mana can’t keep up with longer fights (balance), or where they just aren’t as strong for DPS as some classes when geared and buffed, like warriors and rogues, they make fine tanks though, and were always a solid healer.

For level 60 dungeons, you will likely need to pick somewhat of a focus at least in the beginning though with gear you could probably flex between bear/cat and balance/resto without problems in dungeons.

Yes, druid is insane fun, and if played well (the base skill floor is higher) the most powerful class in general (overall).

Druid is super fun, super rewarding but you can’t play it like you’re playing just any other class, instead you gotta use the bulk of the kit; this means you got more buttons to push to get similar results to other classes… HOWEVER, the trade off is that you’re able to deal with a far greater variety of situations and don’t exactly have any sort of a hard counter class if you play well in PVP.

That’s the best I can do for description without writing a novel.

2 Likes

you can use battle rez on a hunter pet :expressionless:

I’ve been looking at playing as a druid after I get my rogue to 60. Not sure if I’ll tank or do boomkin.

Druid is the most fun by a mile.
Any tank will be able to find a group so quickly because no one ever wants to.

Make ‘em train a new one in the spirit of the game

1 Like

Druids are fun in classic era are fun i recommend. I play resto and i like it

Feral druid dps is really good if you know how to play

The old joke was that if you’re a druid and you want to play feral dps, you’ll have to play with friends. But if you’re balance, you’ll have to not only play with friends, but they’ll laugh at you when you run out of mana and start clubbing things with your staff.

It should be fine, but you won’t be running any dungeons as feral (cat) until level 20+. For RFC, you’ll need to heal or feral tank. Most hardcore groups for Deadmines and Wailing Caverns are going to require level 20 anyway.

If people ask you to tank or heal just say no. Join groups as dps, this stuff is easy :expressionless:

Shedo The Druid took down all of his feral content but that dude was a pumper as cat. Every buff known to man and precision on energy and mana to top the meters.

Looked like too much prep work to me but if you’re looking for a time sink challenge go cat.