Should I Make the Switch to Disc Priest?

Hello,

So I am trying to determine the healing spec that is right for me. I am considering the switch to disc priest. This is due to the fact that I like the Ancient Teachings of the Monastery for Mistweaver. I also like the aggressive healing playstyle of Holy Paladin. I feel like Disc Priest is a great combination of this type of playstyle.

My concerns for Disc Priest is that I am not a fan of Holy Priest at all so if I have to switch due to meta or nerfs (which is unlikely). I am also not a huge fan of Priest class fantasies but I like the idea of shadow and light to heal. Its a cool concept.

Anyway is disc priest fun to you? Why do you play disc priest? Is it hard in M+? Is Disc priest worth maining? I know fun is subjective but any insight on the class/spec helps alot. Thanks.

It’s fun.

It’s also swimming against the tide at the moment.

If you like the playstyle and the challenge, go for it.

2 Likes

Old disc (Cataclysm, Pandaria, and WOD) was a BLAST - the best & most fun healing spec the game has ever seen. New disc is a frustrating nightmare that requires a ton of micro-management, has long ramp times, and has 0 reactive healing capability. It also has the most unsatisfying animations and sound effects (next to Ret Paladins).

So no, I would not recommend switching to disc.

4 Likes

As someone who likes hpal and mw monk as well but I lean toward range a bit more so I chose disc.

That spec is the most fun spec in the game for me right now.

It’s not meta and underrated but that’s still my main spec and I’m having a blast.

1 Like

Super fun. But I like holy almost as much. The fact that Holy can pump both crazy Heals and Damage now makes it great. If Disc did the same damage and was minus the potential mana burn, I would like it more though.

It is the worst healer in low skill/low damage groups. If you have to heal a tank that does not mitigate well, has bad gear, or just lacks skills and/or your dps has low skills, bad gear, and likes to stand in fire, then Disc is the absolute worst, bordering on horrible. As with most healers though, it is fine in the opposite, and not bad in average groups.

It was great in BFA with corruption and maxed out versatility. In SL it has definite issues vs meta. It is currently generally a “B tier” healer in M+, has the lowest representation of all healers in M+, and can be really tough to master in its current state. If you have played ranged dps and all the other healers, then it is fun and if you like challenges, you are gold.

Very rewarding when played well - so yes, very fun. I play it because I like challenging classes - and Disc is definitely the most challenging of the healers to learn.

Yes/No. Disc is not any harder than another healer at high level. They all have stress points. When you’re still learning, yes - Disc requires constant cooldown usage and management. You can get by on many healers without even touching your major cooldowns for a LONG while in M+ (talking like up to +15s, you might not even need to hit tranq or even flourish on a Druid, for example, even if you’d be more effective if you did). Disc needs to start learning to use Rapture, Pain supp and Barrier as it’s climbing, or else you’ll fall into just spamming shadowmend and running out of mana constantly.

Same as any class - if you like it then sure. If you’re talking long-term balance, Disc traditionally does pretty well in Raid. But class balance is wild and changes every xpac, so nobody really knows.

1 Like

I ensure you disc is quite a weak spec in M+/raids (you can check Wlogs etc for youself to see that too) even if it’s played well.
but if you don’t really care go for it.

Disc is the type of healer that you need to learn really good. As disc priest either you’re good or bad. There isn’t middle ground. As well as disc you need to learn fights and mechanics more then any other healer, As resto shaman I simply react to damage when it happens, and heal it up. As disc priest I have to predict damage, to prevent it as much as possible.

Nothing to add what this player said. If you don’t predict damage, and 4 players drop down below 30% , 3 of them will die unless they use their personals.

Upside is when you learn fights and disc priest, you will love it for its unique playstyle and how much it contributes to group.

2 Likes

Yea, much respect to any Disc players pushing keys. I know I can’t do it!

1 Like

Disc is great, its fun, engaging and dynamic. Playing it WELL is not really for casual playing.

While its not ranking well atm, unless your playing the best of the best healers you will be fine. I heal with a shammie 2 hpriests and a druid and do quite well, while drunk, keyboard turning and clicking… Yes i die a bit due to the screen being blurry :stuck_out_tongue: but when im on im on.

Linked here is some jailer prog. I will point out i was drinking and if you look at some earlier pulls i fell in holes. a lot :slight_smile: Keyboard turning while drunk does that. But when i can put it together its not half bad https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xCZcVKajDMdJFNGt#fight=43

Edited for Language by the Moderation Team.
Forum Code of Conduct

That’s not true. I considere myself a casual even if I haven’t always been and I beleive I play disc well.

Like it was said previously, the spec requires you the play its cds well from the start. You can’t really breeze through with fc and spamming heal.

If all of your big buttons are on cd, maybe. You can still use most of then reactively, not ideal but it gives you the time to attonement heal most of the time. With radiance and shadow covenant (for grevious) you can top the whole group easily… boon will also top the groupe easily for 10 sec straight…

Im not being a (insert bad word) here bro but i would like to see any logs you have. In no way insinuating im good. I keyboard click while drunk so obviously im not

What purpose would that serve?

I’m not really raiding this season. Even if I was, disc disclaimer comes mainly from m+.

On that front, I’ve started the season at 230ish ilvl and got my ksm with pugs at something like week 5 in the season. Didnt have any tier set bonuses and barely unlocked unity by that point. Ilvl was fairly low too. So I’m confident that I can handle the spec prety well as a casual.

I wouldnt mind showing some logs if I had them. But my raiding this season is mainly helping guildies with their casual progression, as shadow, when schedule allows for it…

I’ll say this:

I’ve run into some very good disc priests in my travels.
If you love it, there’s no reason you can’t complete every dungeon on a +20 and the entire raid in mythic - for 100% sure, and be competitive, and a help to your team in the process.

There are avenues of lesser resistance, for sure. But in this game, you have to play what you love. IF you are in love with the fantasy surrounding disc, then go for it.

1 Like

Disc is a spec due to its inherent design, always gets nerfed every patch. Just keep that in mind.

Meh, I prefer we get nerfed because we’re a bit too strong than getting ignored while not doing so great.

Edit: which is kinda where we’re at right now. At least in terms of mana efficiency…

I’d play disc now in M+ if they brought back Fish Feasts or the like. That said, stopping for mana would still be a hassle. What the devs ought to do is give disc a talent they could use in M+ exclusively that dealt with the horrendous potential mana issues.

This is not directed at you or anyone really. But the lack of foresight or changes/buffs to deal with relatively major problems makes disc a spec that can be extremely frustrating to play. Just swap to holy if you have played disc a lot in SL and you will very quickly see how disc has gotten the royal shaft.

You seem to overblow Disc mana issues in like every post I’ve seen of yours.

Disc has to sit and drink while other classes don’t, but you never actually have to slow the dungeon down while doing so. Learning to play a bit ahead of the group and drinking as the pull dies will net you a more than comfortable amount of mana.

Honestly, Flash Conc. between combat is more annoying than Disc’s mana issues are.

Disc’s only problem keeping them out of being one of the better healers is Holy’s current damage potential. If Boon + Sausage trinket wasn’t propping Holy’s damage up over Disc they’d be a lower tier healer in dungeons.

1 Like

100% agree with your whole post.

I’ve been suspecting that he shadowmend spam. There isnt any other explanation as to why he has such huge mana problems. Disc has issues with mana compared to others but it’s not as bad as this person’s been describing for the last few weeks.

And this is why I don’t care for that spec in dongeon. Gameplay wise its boring to me…

Absolutely imo. I can’t exxagerate enough how much I enjoy disc priest over everything else personally.
When you line everything up perfectly with absolute accuracy, feels good.

I’ve been pushing some 20s this week (grievous, sang, fort) and I’m having close to no mana issues at all thanks to urh buffs between pulls,
However, on tyrannical weeks I get overwhelmed hard (looking at dealer from Dos and infectious rain from plaguefall).
Best bet is using group defensives in high dmg moments when you don’t have the cds required and/or dps bursts to phase certain mechanics for breathing room.

ALWAYS heal/dispel yourself more than anyone else, us priests take huge hits without much Vers, honestly it feels like we take double the dmg more than everyone else.

Tldr. It’s very fun.
Extremely satisfying when you play correctly.
Hard in m+ on tyrannical (for me) and when mistakes happen frequently or tank can’t take a hit.
It is my main and it is completely worth.
Not as much mana issues as it’s said out to be when you play proactively and team does mechs without many mistakes.

1 Like