Should Hardcore be forced SSF?

A lot of people are saying we should keep the Solo Self Found rules the addon uses on Bloodsail to keep the integrity of Hardcore intact. When pushed with “Why? everyone on the realm will be hardcore.” they will mention a couple common reasons. I will include a link of a video that thoroughly explains what solo self found is, how the rules work, and how it positively and negatively effects Hardcore.

Hardcore WoW’s Most Controversial Topic - YouTube

After watching the video, it seems that the SSF rules are the reason why there’s no boosting, no gold buying, and no botting. Which is all true, all of these rules do stop these issues at the expense of trading, grouping, auction house, and the mailbox.

Is this a good trade? Some will say yes, some will say no but I genuinely believe that the core issue to gold buying and boosting is botting. Botting injects an insane amount of gold that players wouldn’t be able to reach by utilizing raw gold farms with tens of bots. It creates an issue and supplies an answer by making gold extremely cheap since they themselves are injecting an insane amount of gold into the market.

Below I will include a link below of a self-admitted botter who answers a lot of interesting questions:

I am a botter / gold seller at the start of every major classic expansion release, as unpopular as ill be, ask me anything and ill honestly answer you. : classicwow (reddit.com)

According to him he mentions that when Hardcore comes out him and good amount of botters are going to attempt to create a new and improved bot that plays extremely safe. He also mentions it will be an arms race to see who creates the bot first. He admits that a lot of botters won’t bother since Wotlk and Era are a lot easier and are figured out.

Boosting and rmt go hand in hand. If botting takes a hit, then rmt takes hit which in turns reduces the amount of people who can get boosts. I would also like to include that boosting past level 20 dungeons is highly risky and not nearly as efficient as it is on Era. I’ve personally had a lot of mages good or bad die in SM, Mara, and ZG. Boosting will be way too much risk for too little reward.

After watching the first video on SSF and reading the questions and answers on botting I think it’s safe to say that botting will be a lot less common in Hardcore than Wotlk or Era. Due to that there will be a lot less raw gold in the market. If there is a lot less gold in the market gold will be much more expensive to the point where you won’t feel stupid for farming gold yourself in an over-inflated market due to these bots.

At the end of the day the fact that there is 1-life will solve botting, rmt, and boosting. Botting will be much less common, gold will be worth something, and boosting will be a lot less rampant. Gold will simply be too expensive to warrant it becoming the meta like we’ve seen in SoM and Wotlk.

TLDR: Why should we sacrifice major aspects of the game like trading, grouping, and the auction house for issues hardcore already solves?

2 Likes

yes. people who don’t want forced SSF never even played HC bloodsail so why listen to their opinion :expressionless:

5 Likes

Why go to discussion forums if we don’t want to listen to and discuss the pros and cons on opinions?
@OP I’m not sure why everyone is worried about the addon rules being applied to the HC servers. Blizz may add restrictions of their own but nothing even close, relax.
Personally I prefer the addon to the free for all that will ensue on these new servers.

1 Like

A lot of people are pushing for SSF. I think it’s a bad idea due to the reasons I included. Feel free to change my mind or vise versa. I didn’t realize how long of a rant I went on until I submitted the thread :frowning:

3 Likes

100% No, HC should NOT be forced SSF

8 Likes

I play HC with the addon SOLELY in duo/trio as the reason I play WOW is to play with my wife, brother and friends, and I know many people that do the same. So there ARE people that are strongly against SSF and want to play 1 life MMORPG vs 1 life single player, but we are the minority for sure.

2 Likes

I’m not here to change your mind. The addon will be available to those who would rather play by those rules.
I like the rules (aside from the appeals) so I’ll still use them. It’s a completely different take on the game for me. I’m debating whether I’ll remain on Bloodsail though (most likely will). I just can’t get interested in what is essentially the same old rush to cap, min maxing of everything, me first get out of my way stuff. I can get that on any other mode of WoW, with only one difference, I’m immortal.
So yeah, when I signup for HC I want an entirely different mode, not the same old same old with a threat of permanent death.

I respect that. I think the addon should be adapted to the hardcore realms and I wish people who want to undertake the challenge good luck.

I do think Hardcore with grouping will create a lot more of a sympathetic community. I think there’s a lot of the “me first” mentality that comes from the single-player types that SSF creates.

2 Likes

HC SSF is a proven popular game mode. if you don’t like it, don’t play it
why are you so 100% sure that a HC with just death=delete is going to be popular? it has no track record. in fact, it has a negative track record, since “soul of iron” wasn’t very popular at all :expressionless:

4 Likes

Hardcore realms is new territory, there’s no saying what’s better or worse for the games, just theories.

SoM wasn’t popular at all :expressionless:

1 Like

So you listed all of these great facts in opposition of no SSF yet you are against SSF?

I’m so confused, lol.

1 Like

It would be nice to have that mode available and supported along with whatever they decide to do. Maybe achievements in place similar to what the addon offers. People love doing achievements. Depending on how much they are willing to develop it, there could be a lot of fun stuff to do.
Thanks, and best of luck to you as well.

1 Like

I suppose it really depends on what you mean by “core issue.” Is gold buying, boosting or even botting an issue?

If you look at the HC community that has arisen from the use of the addon and find that it genuinely removes gold buying, boosting, and botting, then perhaps these are things that a portion of the WoW population wishes to have removed. And that’s great.

Of course, if Blizzard offers HC servers, that may effectively kill HC addon using community, as well as any stand by the playerbase against gold buying, boosting or botting.

As someone who doesn’t play HC (I’ve leveled to around 10+ and just lost interest, personally), I am not sure whether I think it’s great that Blizzard is taking note of a grass-roots, playerbase started community and way to play the game and is either supporting it or attempting to shut it down by offering their own take on HC.

In any case, my guess is that a HC game mode that doesn’t have any restrictions beyond not being able to continue playing a character who has died may appeal to a wider audience.

Compared to what? Classic 2019 release? I dont think many games will be.

Compared to other MMOs and private servers? It was pretty successful.

1 Like

My issues with SSF has to do with how it blocks out possible completion of certain questlines (several that require profession mats to progress) and/or the ability to progess skill in professions (particularly Enchanting).

As a Warlock with Tailoring but not mining and wanting to complete the Enchanted Gold Bloodrobe quest, I spent the majority of this past Saturday camping a chest spawn point in order to get a gold bar to progress the questline.

Logging in, looting the chest, logging out, and repeating every 45 min or so until I got the gold bar was not particularly interesting or challenging gameplay.

7 Likes

Your addon community doesn’t even have the integrity to death=delete on a “hardcore” addon and you want to have these people enforce ssf? This fun mode was made for clickers and keyboard turners who find satisfaction out of leveling because they repeatedly die. It’s a DOA game mode when servers launch it will be proven.

2 Likes

Comparing it to Retail at that time and TBC/Wotlk.

100% agree, I mean enchanting is literally impossible on SSF. If they do force SSF I can’t wait to see how many people are herb/alch lol

You didn’t read what I posted, not even the tldr :confused:

Basically HC addon is that way because it keeps the players honest and keeps the spirit of HC play an even playing field where you cannot P2W.

Their rules set makes 100% sense, its something blizzard should in reality just come to accept as the way HC is played.

5 Likes

Blizz should impose the HC rules on the server, no AH, no trading, etc . . .

If you make it to 60 you get the title “Immortal.” If you die at 60, you cannot rez but you can transfer your character to a non-HC realm.

Intially I thought what is the harm in allowing 60s to rez once you’ve completed the journey. However, for some HC players getting to 60 is just the beginning. It is super cool to see HC players cruising around in really hard-to-obtain gear, knowing they have never died.

If 60s can rez at will, then that diminishes the loot collecting/accomplishments of those who still follow the death=delete rules at 60. Plus, locking down the AH and trading feature means there will be no gold sellers or bots on the realms.

1 Like

Sorry but no AH and no trading would make for a dead server. I get its currently ok because this fad is new but for longevity of the server it will not last.

2 Likes