Shaman Tanks...A Classic Project

No on shaman tanks.

I’ve already tanked wc, and rfc on classic. makes me want a shaman tank on retail already.

People prefer warriors and druids on classic, looking forward to 9.0 without a shaman tank spec.

Shamans can tank just fine in classic. The problem is finding a group that will allow you to tank.

Druids are the worst tanks, btw. Paladins with a shield spike are fantastic for aoe.

So it was a poorly designed tanking class. The Horde only has 2 tanking classes while the Alliance has 3. That is a clear faction preference.

If the tanking spec was redesigned that actually addressed it’s known deficiencies. Perhaps, adding a mechanic from Priests, the Shaman becomes a stone elemental at a particular health limit for a specific time period. Increasing their durability, might solve that problem in one spell.

I just had a tank, I believe name Niconicoplz, run one of the smoothest BRD’s I’ve ever been in.

He was a Shaman…

He seem to have all the gear you’d expect a Shaman Tank to have, didn’t lose aggro.

Mana is a thing though…

I think the class is fine to tank some dungeons and OT certain bosses but obviously Blizzard never intended them to be a legitimate tanking class. Still looked super fun and the DPS output in combination with his tanking ability was quite surprising.

Mana is the big issue.

Blizz actually did intend on them being tanks; or as much of tanks as paladins and druids. If you look at each class warrior, shaman, paladin, druid from your viewpoint nothing but warriors should be tanks. However the other 3 are more than capable of actually tanking effectively on majority content outside some raid bosses.

2 Likes

If they were going to go back and look at making paladins and shamans more viable a tanking option, they would need to look into adjusting some of the gear to give us some gear that gives us more mana an regen to keep out pools higher. now doing that for two classes i could see them feeling it would be warranted (but it would need to be both so that the tank pop stays pretty similar choice wise). Some of the short comings of shamans could be dealt with via talents, or even totem usage , such as buffing up their lacking armor via their totem usage.

Now issue is i would rather see it be done as a separate server type. So that we have the classic untouched server with no changes, as well as a modified server type that has some changes made to it. such as modifications to some under performing, or unfinished classes, gear (we would need some modification to gear for some classes), and also just added content like content that had been cut yet planned for classic (depending on the cut content the amount of work needed could vary as some had assets finished).

1 Like

Well, your 100% full of sh&t. Tanked 5m to 40 with no issues. Prolly could’ve kept going, but didn’t want to farm the appropriate gear.

From a completely non-raid 5m perspective, a enh tanking would need a higher passive block chance, a way to get def cap, better aoe threat and some niche they would be “best” at. The anti magic/resistance tank would probably be appropriate.

Depending on if you mean retail, or classic that anwser would be different. I could see making a third shield to go with the lightening an water shield that shamans have, which might add something like a bonus to shield block or armor while it is up, and on getting hit could add a damage absorption or a short range aoe hit.

Now for the fact of of getting def capped in classic atleast with now having three tanking options realized, the devs could adjust some plate/mail gear for it to be used for tanking. Also in classic making shaman more viable would be fine int he aspect of a aoe tank like paladin as they are only on the opposing factions an not competing with each other in that fact.

Yes, this. I’m not about shaman tanks. Please make the three specs we have better.

1 Like