Shaman Tanks...A Classic Project

the a swift answer like shamans will never be tanks in retail wow should be enough.

Haha! Ok Mr. Dev type fella.

In vanilla/classic, shamans CAN tank.

In retail they cannot.

This is what should be remedied.

As far as shaman tanking in classic, it works well for 5 mans up to level 60, but once you start getting into endgame content (level 60 dungeons and raids) you really start to feel the survivability shortcomings of the shaman. You’re stuck in mail armor, you have no taunt, and in general provide less utility than any proper tanking class.

I tanked LBR in vanilla. Not pretty and not recommended but was a lot of fun.

Shaman tanking in vanilla was more of a, oh crap the tank died, thing. If the real tank died and mobs were missing health a shaman could do the spot tanking to save a wipe. If anyone actually tanked entire 5 mans on a shaman…lol. A real tank (warrior, back then) would have made it 100x easier.
Somehow over the past decade the reality was substituted with this “shamans tanked 5 mans back in vanilla” crap.
Shaman were never dedicated tanks, I leveled a shaman alt in Vanilla, because I wanted to try damage, take a break from tanking on my prot warrior.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! Shaman tanking has been supported in classic, lore, mechanics, and class thematically. It’s my personal mission to revive Shaman tanking and bring it to retail wow! I personally would like to see a 4th spec named “Earth Warden”. Utilizing our dusty shields, and powerful totems to support our defenses/team.

Haha No, you’re referring to me! That’s hilarious. I wish there was a way to prove it, but I’m thrilled to see others taking up the mantle and being heard!!

Believe or not, this is actually true! This has been documented with footage for many years. There’s an excellent Shaman Tank named Totemtank. You should Google his tank guide for an interesting read. He personally tanked ALL 5/10 content pre-raid. This also shouldn’t take away from warriors. They were absolutely better at tanking. Undisputed. Also doesn’t mean Shamans couldn’t xD

Lastly, I want to invite anyone interested or concerned with there topic of Shaman tanking to search up my thread specifically about this as to avoid thread clutter on the shaman forums.

But…its not what “we” want.

What is the negative to your Rogue if Shaman are made tank viable? When the term “we” is used its in the context that those who support the change qualify. In your case it does not apply as you are someone dedicating time to go against the suggestion for an unkown motive.

2 Likes

Well said.

This man is right, this not what WE want. Its what a few people want, that make a new thread daily, rather than keep it to one thread. The MAJORITY of shaman are fine with them not tanking. You dont even see people talk about in Trade or LFG chat on Live. Thats how little a concern it is for the MAJORITY of shaman.

We, the MAJORITY, in this case defined to as opposed to or indifferent to Shamans tanking, dont want or need or are uninterested in Shamans getting a 4th spec.

Leave Shamans with 3 specs. No 4th tank spec.

1 Like

I’d argue that you are wrong. I watch the shaman threads every day. There are about 5 people trolling us for no reason. They’re not interested in shaman tanking (which is fine) and decide they should rain on our parade.

If you actually went through the threads and counted… it’s not even close. As of yesterday there were literally 7 threads about this on the front page. If this isn’t an example of demand then I don’t know what is. But to your point I have actively advocated that we keep this discussion to one thread to reduce clutter. I agree. We don’t need 7 threads to get a point across.

If you want to continue this useless song and dance then feel free to take it to this thread here! You are only helping because your point is moot.

Hahahaha, the more moot point is leveling a Shaman requesting to tank. Thats whats moot. The only people that talk about Shamans tanking, are the 7 people that create new threads daily.

No one in trade
No one in LFG
No one on Shaman Streams
No one but these 7 people that make daily threads.

Every new thread, I’ll go ahead and redundantly state NO for Shaman Tank Spec, since each thread is redundant in its existence.

I have already stated my reasons, whether you agree or not, on that thread you linked. I dont need to go in there regularly to reign on your parade. I’m fine with the discussion continuing, but as you agree, we dont need daily new threads by the same people on it.

Not yet my archenemy friend… Not yet xD

1 Like

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

Trade and LFG are not typically used to discuss what people want in class design, nor are streams.
Occasionally streamers will talk about what they like/don’t like about their spec, but nothing regarded classes gets that much discussion on streams unless it’s something so bad that it’s making them switch to something different or is a response to a chat question.

I’m currently testing it right now

No on shaman tanks.

I’ve already tanked wc, and rfc on classic. makes me want a shaman tank on retail already.

People prefer warriors and druids on classic, looking forward to 9.0 without a shaman tank spec.

Shamans can tank just fine in classic. The problem is finding a group that will allow you to tank.

Druids are the worst tanks, btw. Paladins with a shield spike are fantastic for aoe.