Shaman Tank | Classy & Fresh

That seems like more of a re-design which is likely very out of scope

Probably, and one can only hope. I mean look at Enhancement tree, traditionally thought of as a DPS and utility spec, but look closer.

• Shield spec
  • Anticipation 5% dodge
  • Toughness 10% armor value
  • Parry
  • Rockbiter weapon (high threat)
  • Rockbiter talent (more threat)
  • Reincarn (a tank with 2 lives, yes please)
  • Synergy with Elemental Devastation in Ele: spell crit to melee crit.
    Enhance is more akin to feral druid tree, cat dps and bear tanking, than a stand alone DPS tree like hunter, rogue, fury.

Parry is a great stat for all, but more for tanking, and it’s an opt-in/out.
2-h weapons is a talent for dps, and it’s an opt-in/out.

My money is on, Shaman was suppose to be 1 tree with dps/tanking, like Druid, but someone removed 1 or 2 crucial pieces to that puzzle. ie. Taunt & an oh-sh*t mitigation ability.

okay so the thing with adding more survivability to the enhance tree is that enhance then becomes a hard counter for rogues in pvp, and if you add all that resistance they then become a hard counter for mages and certain shaman/druid. Even more a problem, if you add all that to early tier talents as you have suggested, you’ll get ele/resto shaman going and grabbing them in a hybrid pvp spec, and pretty much being unkillable. Big balance tipping problem there.

As shaman who has MT/OT everything through p5 and most of p6 with the last rendition of talents, I can tell you not much of what is suggested may be necessary. We really don’t need that much more in our kit.

shaman can already raid tank in vanilla classic, and the issue with giving them increased viability in that regard is that it doesn’t make sense to do that and not also buff the melee dps build. You then run into the issue of threat, how do you make it so that a tank shaman produces more threat than a dps shaman while still giving dps shaman good dps. It’s tricky tricky.

3 or 4 things need to happen.

1. threat modifier needs to move to frost shock
  2. storm strike debuff dmg increase works only for earth shock dmg and is increased (only ele can hijack the debuff now)

can do 3 and/or 4, but both is not necessary for the desired result

1. increased armor/resistances/avoidance(dodge/parry) in a LATER tier talent in the enhance tree only, so that resto/ele shaman can’t take it without sacrificing a lot.
    AND/OR
  2. increased threat modifier to threat shock and rockbiters static 72tps gain, once again in the LATER tier talents only, to play keep away from ele/resto and to make it unattractive for enhance dps to take.

The reason I say only 3 or 4 are necessary is because shaman can already tank most everything. The main issue is that either threat is great and mitigation suffers, or mitigation is fine and threat suffers, and with one of the options 3 or 4 in place we can gear accordingly with what is already in-game to make up the difference, and we wont need a taunt. Pushing shaman over the edge in the type of way I describe will keep the feel of the other 3 specs and increase the viability of tanking, without blowing up pvp balance too much.

Maybe in the Season of Balance.

1 Like

What you suggested is a little grandiose.
Perhaps something like Healing Stream Totem causing threat.
or Fire Totems causing threat.
or Stormstrike Debuff only effecting the shaman,
etc…

nice bait :stuck_out_tongue:

Shaman tank are viable, I believe you intended to say better.

1 Like

I chuckled. I applaud your optimism and if I was on your faction/server, I would heal any run you wanted to tank, sir!

Plate is king of physical damage.
Mail king of magical damage.

And i can’t think of many pieces of endgame, mail, with defense. Plate tanks can just get way more HP and defense with gear. Since it might take a rework in gear for shaman to catch up, easier to bake it into the talent tree.

That was the through process behind it. Would love to see shaman tanking in some capacity. Always bummed me out it didn’t get a tanking totem play style in later expansion.

They aren’t, but they shouuld, because what they’re doing so far isn’t going to draw people back to the game.

Could you imagine if they flipped the script…meme specs were top DPS this time around (or SoM2): Ret Paladins, Boomkins, Feral Cat, Ele Shams, Smite Priests, melee hunter, arcane mages, assassination rogues.

1 Like

“In some capacity”… my dude they can tank the entirety of Classic WoW :laughing: Right now you can login to Classic-era servers and find shaman tanks 2handed tanking.

Shaman tanking will be even easier in Classic Fresh with everything we’ve learned from Classic.

Is Y because the game would be better and every class would actually be fun to play heaven for bed

we do not need shamans to be buffed they are powerful enough as is. (in vanilla)

Yes in some capacity, as in consistent capacity, reliable capacity. I’ve seen the guy that “tanked” patchwerk and it was more RNG than the class.

No one wanted my shaman tank beyond 5-man dungeons and UBRS, because…why, when we have prot warriors, and fury-prot that do it better.

Shaman can tank, but it taxes the healers more than warrior. At least carve out a niche that shaman can excel in.