Shaman or mage

Asked this question on the mage forums to. Basically as the title says. My main focus will just be WQ and outdoor stuff, random BGs and maybe some LFR. Nothing high level or majorly competitive.

I like the fact shaman can melee, range or heal but I really like the range options that mage has. I’ve done a pally, warrior and rogue so I’m a little burned out on melee. Plus…you know portals.

So my question to you shamans is do you ever feel like there is content you really can’t do that mages can? I love Earth elemental as a quick tank. Enhance was fun at times while leveling but I never felt like it hit very hard, does it scale better with gear? Haven’t done much with resto how is it compared to other healers?

Thanks

Thanks.

I am going to try a shamen. I do good in pvp with my fire mage but not so well in raids etc… In pvp the lightning lasso from the elemental shamen kicks my butt.

Ive played both a bit and i have to say shaman, hands down. You can polymorph (hex) have good aoe and single target, and with enh you have insta heals which help tremendously questing and world content. You have 2 or 3 tanky pets, lots of utility with totems, self rez and ghost wolf and waterwalking. Just all around better feeling class in my opinion, for what its worth.

I play both quite a bit (this mage and a horde ele shaman).

Based on what you said your focus is - you’re probably going to have a better time with shaman for the simple reason of earth elemental to help with tougher mobs/quests when your solo (or small groups) in the world.

Sure mages can (And I frequently do) take down tough elites solo in the open world, it either involves a lot of kiting or really outgearing the content so you can blow it up before it can harm you. Having earth elemental available every 5 mins makes things so much easier (especially when your undergeared).

Portals are awesome though (having a short c/d heart in astral recall isn’t bad though).

Was an entire thread on this 27 days ago

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ele-sham-or-mage/108472

My reply from then still holds true.

mage hands down.

Mage portals are awesome. I enjoy playing Shaman more.