Shadows Rising: No more Mr. Nice Anduin

But wasn’t he appalled when Jaina purged?

1 Like

Well it seems to be darker than they usually go for with the Alliance. It might bring the Alliance down a few pegs on the moral scale but since the Horde is having to crawl up from the bottom, the most it will account for is making the Alliance rather self righteous hypocrites. I do find the comment, ‘their actions are honorable otherwise we wouldn’t have statues of them’ a rather slippery slop. That leads towards the ‘what we do is righteous because we are the good guys rather than being the good guys because we are righteous’. That said, I don’t expect it to amount to much. They are probably just trying to make the Alliance a bit more edgy.

15 Likes

No, because it would be the exact same thing on the opposite side of the Forsaken or Horde at large did something seemingly Good.

Horde saves a single orphanage from destruction.

Horde players: "See? We’re not the evil faction. "

Alliance players: “Remember when you burned a tree and made a bunch of orphans?”

Horde players: “Let us have this one!”

Yeah, I’m not buying it especially after BFA. Remember Jaina “Beware of me” Proudmoore?

:cactus:

15 Likes

So, they aren’t doing it because of their disdain for the Horde but because they need the information. If the techniques employed were more because of association to the Horde it’d be more believable. As it stands they are simply being pragmatic to end a greater evil.

2 Likes

Providing medical aid after you torture someone doesn’t negate the fact that you tortured them.

21 Likes

So when the Alliance tortures a civilian mother in front of her crying child it’s alright because they healed her afterwards and she’d only endure a little mental scarring for the rest of her life?

No. This is evil, and the Alliance claims it. The High King condones it. This is OUR act of evil to own.

5 Likes

:man_shrugging:

Whatever makes you feel better about generic fantasy tropes the Alliance.

3 Likes

They feel bad about it afterwards too.

Typical Alliance.

8 Likes

Typical Blizz is more like it. God forbids any Alliance race/character actually gets called upon doing actual evil stuff and much less confront the consequences of acting naughty (and people believes Velves are gonna get “villain batted” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:).

Anduin as usual has his moral highground safe by proxy of not being the one actually directing the actions of Turalyon and Alleria. And Jaina is laughable, such delicacy when she has condoned worse by her buddies.

I should save this quote so when in 3 years Horde gets MoP 3.0 -ed and you MHP start the moralizing BS complaining, we can defend with something at least.

16 Likes

Go ahead. Start a legitimate list.

• Sending Horde Ambassadors on one-way trips to the Void.
  • Slaughtering Goblin workers by the hundreds with a Magma Golem in Zuldazar.
  • Slaughtering party-goers and servants at Gallywix’s Pleasure Palace.
  • Painfully extracting information from Horde Civilians in front of their crying children.

I’d say everything on that list is irrevocably evil, and things that the Alliance owns.

2 Likes

I will believe it when it actually sticks. In the end Blizzard tends to water down anything dubious the Alliance might do. They have a long track record of it. That or bath it in so many justifications it all but waters it down anyway.

15 Likes

Regardless of the reasoning, there is no getting around the fact that these are all unambiguously evil acts. It can be argued that they were the pragmatic choice, but that doesn’t make them any less evil! Arthas Purging Stratholme was an act of evil, even if it was also the most pragmatic course to choose.

Pragmatism and Morality do not exist on the same scale. I’d say they’ve been the difference between the Alliance (morality) and Horde (pragmatism) for ages.

2 Likes

After Teldrassil.

After Teldrassil.

After Teldrassil.

After Teldrassil.

It’s all on the up and up. Next, you’re going to tell me it was evil for me to be killing demons in their own home. Or extracting information from Scourge agents. Or dismantling the Black Empire.

13 Likes

Look, I’m not arguing the Alliance is worse, or even equal to the Horde on the morality scale. The Horde passed the point of no return as far as morality goes when they burned Teldrassil. But that is irrelevent to the point I’m making here.

The Alliance committed blatantly evil acts. Pragmatic ones, sure, but when it comes to morality, these acts are evil. How bad the Horde is doesn’t change the fact that these acts are evil.

3 Likes

Why do you sound so excited about it?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say I’m excited about it. Rather, I’m interested in seeing where the Alliance might go now these we’re seeing these darker-but-pragmatic actions happening. Night Elves might actually get their fangs back, Worgen could be more than humans with a hair condition, and maybe even Void Elves will be more than grape-flavored mages!

7 Likes

Oh, my sweet summer child.

12 Likes

And my point is, these acts came after the Horde gleefully catapulted their way across their moral Rubicon. If these acts are evil by whatever metric you’re using, then they’re also evil when we do them to the other big evils, like the Legion, the Old Gods, the Scourge, the Jailer, etc. If we’re going to feel bad for the Orc kid that saw his mother get tortured, then we also have to feel bad for the imps when we kill their imp mother in front of them (assuming we didn’t just kill them, too).

The only sketchy thing might be the smuggler. Depending on his affiliations.

8 Likes

Blizzard really needs to deconstruct the idea that one atrocity justifies another. You know, harder than they have already to this point.

I really want word of Turalyon and Alleria torturing for info on Sylvanas to get to the Horde council. And when someone confronts Anduin about it, I want him to reflexively bring up Teldrassil.

Then I want the Horde stand in to ask if the mother partook in Teldrassil. If the child did. A question with armor-piercing potential. Really ask how much license the Alliance has to warcrimes in retaliation.

30 Likes