Shadowlands: they think you want it but you dont

Two big things, 1; Blizzard seem notorious for telling players how to play their game, they get an idea in their heads and force it on you.

2; you cant go back.

Watching things people like preach etc have mentioned that encompasses shadowlands design has got me concerned for the above 2 reasons, and it reminds me of the launch of cataclysm. Reworking stats, trying to make players use cc in dungeons… coming from an arcade style rofl stomp gear fest that was wrath to cata… players hated it.

Personally Im a wow dabbling addict, addicted to the rpg wow universe but no longer the game, and havent been for many years.
All my friends and family stopped playing many years ago, and my play time is spent character jumping as each have sentimental value or a goal to achieve.
Interest in a particular character may last up to 1 or 2 weeks, in this time frame you can usually get geared to max world quest level, do all new patch content a few times and maybe try out an alt spec and gear that if its engaging.

Getting the faceless one title was literally the only thing in this whole expac that i actively worked toward, but lost interest as soon as i did… farming for 470 gear didnt interest me.

If i could fully gear in torghast it would be great, but bliz wont want that.
Less gear in M+ will make that environment more toxic to pug so still off list of interest.
Less gear in general and world quest change will leave characters weak, weak toons lose interest fast.
Raiding, need a guild… and good guilds with other nice addicts are rare plus for me personally if I raid i want to be good and then the addiction takes over my life.
Mythic level wife agro.

It seems they are trying to make wow artificially harder again, but players are used to tons of gear, procs to boost dps, ability to solo, huge power inflation per patch…

If you have a mcdonalds, dont be surprised when you try and serve sushi and people leave.

13 Likes

I, for one, welcome some content where the game isn’t machinegunning worthless gear at me.

I was always a mog hunter anyway, so the news that there will be tons of cosmetic rewards in this xpac will be enough to keep me hooked, at least.

20 Likes

Transmog and cosmetics are a lot more long-lasting to me than gear with stats. Legion had me obsessively collecting as much as I could; BfA has like nothing to really collect, which has made me burn out lot faster. So I agree with this take.

The sheer amount of gear in BfA is why a lot of people stopped playing, in my opinion. Nothing to work towards other than RNG gear which isn’t good for anyone. So yeah, personally Shadowlands is looking better for me due to cosmetics grinding rather than stats only gear.

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s how games work.

10 Likes

That’s your first mistake.

10 Likes

Which pretty is the reason they should have never changed it to what we see today.

Personally I welcome a step back towards how the game used to be. Although I do believe the turning back of time needs to be incremental taking into acccount people’s expectations of current.
I think that’s Blizzard’s biggest issue with SL and people’s reaction, it’s too much too quick. They’ve made two expansions of revision out of one.

2 Likes

I’m sure when that McDonalds tells you they’re putting you on a diet of only tiny portions of that sushi, and it’s your own fault you’re spoiled from buying stuff off the menu before.

Sure, that’ll be convincing.

1 Like

the problem with them trying to make things harder, or force gear progression pathways on you that they havent enforced for 2 expansions is the amount of crying that will ensue, leading to patch 9.1 trying to compensate with freebies, easier, new systems to power boost etc and it all turns into a mess.

They just throw power at you to try and make every 2nd financial quarter look good and keep subs up for the shareholders.

The problem is that they’re trying to turn this into the sort of hardcore game it never was at any point, because they know better than the early devs that were responsible for its success.

6 Likes

I like it when WoW is simple.

Simple is beautiful.

6 Likes

An awful lot of people actually aren’t into multidimensional spreadsheet systems.

7 Likes

How good are you with tesseracts?

1 Like

I don’t want tesseracts to be a part of a game I have to work around.

1 Like

It would just be World Quest level gear anyway.

Maybe. I believe its only 1 less piece of loot if you time the key. And you are still likely overdramatizing the toxicity of pugs.

That would be because world quests are not intended to be the way to gear your character.

Thats more of a mental health problem for you than it is blizzard’s fault.

It isn’t hard perse but there is a decent amount of difficulty in strategy and playing at the high levels. Nothing artificial about it.

People always need to cc in dungeons. Unless you are talking about polymorphing, which no I don’t believe there is that much emphasis on.

1 Like

Yeah, that is what game design is suppose to do.

So it is working as intended.

3 Likes

h ttps://imgur.com/a/tuZgWEP

That’s a lot of words for I let other form opinions for me.

4 Likes

It is a commonly stated opinion on these forums that “Everybody I disagree with is a mindless sheep who got their opinions force fed to them by someone I don’t like.”

“Shadowlands: Tesseracts R Us”

Has a certain ring to it. People who support these changes will no doub enjoy playing wow as a tiny hardcore game with a cult following.

1 Like

Well they are the game designers.

2 Likes

The sad thing is the game creates people like me, who will keep playing because they like the world and lore and have “memories of good times, (vanilla and TBC mostly)” associated with their characters, but have zero attachments or interest in modern wow.

As an employee in blizzard working on wow, it must suck and be intensely dissatisfying. To create content that is one week of gameplay with a pointless grind added to it for longevity, overridden and never used again each patch/expansion…

4 Likes