Shadowlands The Maw and Torghast Introduction Questline Changes (Story Spoilers)

One change was made to make Baine look more heroic. The other implies the Shadowlands is being pushed into extinction.

2 Likes

So the Lich Kingā€™s very existence was causing the veil hiding the Shadowlands to crumbleā€¦

The mysterious breaking of the Machine of Death merely hastened the Jailerā€™s primary plan to collide the Shadowlands with the Great Dark Beyond!

A hastened plan usually falls awryā€¦ Whoever broke the Machine of Death may have planned on everything in order to stop the Jailer from ending all existenceā€¦

where do you get that the existence of the lich king was the cause? i see nothing of the sort only that the helm was effing up the shadowlands WHEN bolvar was peeping on torghast, that effect could be recent for all we know.

edit:please please, please, please guys lets leave anduin there, at least until the end of the expac.

4 Likes

Why wouldnā€™t the Shadowlands already be considered reality? Is the Shadowlands just an illusion?

1 Like

Good point. Fixed it to say Great Dark Beyond.

So theyā€™re going with the tried and true side-character treatment with Baine. Have him useless for a majority of the story until a moment arrives where he steps up to the plate and fights with every fiber of his being. He then promptly loses anyways to show how great the threat is.

Baine is worse than a damsel in distress. Heā€™s Yamcha.

14 Likes

i dont really get the same vibe with baine as with cairne, with cairne you knew he could eff the crap out of someone but he chose not to, baine justā€¦ falls short, i loved when cairne pimpslapped garrosh.

edit:typo

2 Likes

The problem is ā€¦ the warrior fantasy.
A warrior in itself is allways somehow lackluster ā€¦ comparedto magic wielding classes.

This is why basically every warrior in fantasy somehow wields a magic or sacret sword.
Arthus, Aragorn, heck even Link ā€¦
So I think in order for the warrior characters in WoW they would need to wield some legendary weapons of known power.

But these swords were allways placed on for example paladins ā€¦

While you do have a point about needing magic gear, there are plenty of ā€œnormalā€ people in a world full of magical characters that can compete.

Not talking about magic gear in particular but just that legendary weapon that defines destiny.
So weapons like Frostmoune, Ashbringer ā€¦ uhm Frostmourne ā€¦ Varian had Shalamyne butā€¦ well it was never really explored what it does.
But for some reason those are allways in the hands of allready magical classes.

Huh, Iā€™m actually disappointed to see they puffed up Baineā€™s presence. The idea of him being a rejected sad sack was actually growing on me.

1 Like

I liked him as a harmless fluffybunny somehow ā€¦ it gave the Horde at least one lovable character that isnā€™t a complete maniac.
But it seems having weaknesses is a nogo ā€¦

So, we still get to see the Jailer throw him off the cliff, though, right?

Gonna need a lot of marinade to make that steak palatable.

7 Likes

I have to agree with this. Heā€™s got a long way to go before heā€™ll ever live down sending his horn to Anduin. Heā€™s Vincent from Seinfeld at this point.

Well the chinese did it good with wuxia/xianxia and its not even strictly about weapons, theyre all op warriors that get tough immortal bodies with training/sacrifices/artifacts etcā€¦

im not saying you have to COPY those things to make an interesting story but you can write as a regular guy/gal that trains and searches for enough magic fruits then goes on a rampage and effs up any mage and you dont have to necesarly change the fantasy for a warrior.

a warriorā€™s resource is fury, you can play with goldrinn a la varian, they have their own replacement for magic on the way it only affects their muscles or something, gives them hardiness vs magic etcā€¦

Not sure that would make Warriors just another Rogue ā€¦and I never liked how they went from classic Rogue to ā€¦ shadowcaster-melee thingy.

Having at the end everyone being a sorcerer is bad for the game. We allready have the spell bladesish demon hunters and shamans and rogues and paladins.

warrior gets the blessing of goldrinn, bam, insta murderball, gets magic resistance, gets double strenght etcā€¦

i do not now what do you see here that spells ā€œrogueā€, warrior its all about the skill with weapons, strenght and fury we just give them some kind of maguffin to even the field that doesnt sound too farfetched.

Lol. They finally cottoned on to how pathetic they had made Baine. I guess this is an argument against following betas. I am always going to know what he was like originally and it will probably undermine my opinion of him though honestly that his hard to do since I really find him a joke already.

In a world of magic, those without it end up being second tier and weak. I mean lets be honest. The type of crap Warriors and Rogues do in WoW would be impossible physically without some form of supernatural boosting.

I have seen it work fine in different fantasy. It doesnā€™t all have to be spells and rituals. It can be just ā€˜dopingā€™. So with Warriors you could have it so their battle ā€˜rageā€™ manifests as force. Having the right mindset, physical condition to tolerate it and heavy training in techniques, would be enough.

Brutal, more brutal, NOT more heroic.

Violent displays arenĀ“t precisely the way to make Baine less pathetic than he is -at the end, heĀ“s still the cowardly useless damsel in distress we have to rescue again as usual-; they just make him even more unhinghed and donĀ“t elevate him from his current pro-Golden self insertsĀ“s plot device status.

How dare you make such offensive remarks regarding poor Yamcha!!! At least Yamcha doesnĀ“t make choices involving the whole Goku gang on their name and regardless of their feedback nor much less betrays them every other Sunday cause heĀ“suddenly buddies with the FOTM threat character or somethingā€¦

Well, thatĀ“s what happens when writers literally describe a character one way (ā€œstrongā€ in BaineĀ“s case) and actually depict it as weak and ineffective the whole time. Show not tell is something Blizz devs forgot with Baine since the very beginning (ergo why heĀ“s a pathetic and try-hard pseudo copy of Cairne and not an actual avatar in CairneĀ“s likeness).

Well imho this strat only works with people that a) donĀ“t know how to properly read or b) donĀ“t freaking care. For example, depicting Aethas as ā€œowningā€ some rando cannon fodder enemy unit doesnĀ“t erase the fact heĀ“s a pathetic incompetent moron who is SO easily overruled by his own subjects.

Feats of physical strenght will never replace actual development portraying strenght of character.

6 Likes