Shadowlands Suggestions - Option to customize demons/rename glyphed demons

Hey guys,

Ever since I’ve played warlock I’ve always loved how the demons you summon had unique names, it really adds to the feeling that you’re summoning a demon from the nether. Although there has been times when the names feel a bit unusual or bizarre. I noticed we are able to pay demon trainers to summon new demons which in turn changes the name which is great, but I also noticed once we use a glyph on any of these demons we seem to be stuck with that name and cant change it at the trainers. I’m not particularly asking to be able to rename demons like we do with hunter pets because I feel that takes away from the immersion of summoning demons, but to be able to summon new glyphed demons so we aren’t stuck with an average name.

Another thing I’d like to suggest is potentially having the ability to change what our demons look like. Demon trainers could give us the option to go into a demon creation screen so we can slightly change what they look like in terms of skin color and what not, even taking advantage of the already in-game glyphs appearances which could just be applied to this creation screen so they are options for each class of demon instead. Maybe even add a quest line before we are able to unlock this option so it adds to the excitement and immersion of a warlock as if its a super secret ritual or something.

I know both my suggestions slightly contradict each other and I’m probably asking for way too much but seeing as Shadowlands is all about customization and player choice I felt it wouldn’t hurt to put suggestions like this out there.

I’m keen to hear what others think! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Well we maybe getting something akin to this if the warlocks using pet stables in alpha is not a bug. Though I would advise a side of caution that it just might be.

2 Likes

Demons cannot be renamed by warlocks because it’s against the lore.

Hunter pets are generally wild beasts that you name, like real world pets.

Demons are pre-existing “people”, most of which weren’t demons at all. Your Wrathguard is an Eredar who may have been Velen’s neighbor or Kiljaeden’s classmate long ago.

They have names.

In-game via various quests, it’s shown that in order to summon a demon or control a demon you must know its true name. Demons often give false names, eg the Gilnean Warlock questline where your trainer tells you a demon taught him stuff that is clearly a Dreadlord but uses a clearly joke name.

This mirrors “in real life” demon summoning (eg grimoires, like The Lesser Key of Solomon) the same applies. In fact, within real life lore a huge part of Demonology is a VARIETY of methods to divine the true name of a demonic entity haunting you or that you want to evoke and enslave and depending on the magical tradition the specific symbol necessary to summon/evoke that demon.

That’s why we are able to pay a guy to change our demon names, ie give us a new demon from a grimoire to summon.

Makes more sense if enslave was rendered like tame, and once you enslave/tame a demon mob it gets randomly assigned a name (it’s True Name) and to change it you have to keep re-enslaving the same mob until you get one you like.

3 Likes

Guess I got lucky I’m pretty happy with all my demon names. Some of them are kind of weird but they are demons they should be. have had them for so long now it will feel wrong to change. They like family now. In fact when I summon my void walker he sounds a lot like my teenage kids! :smiley:

1 Like

They weren’t asking to create a name, they were asking to be able to pay the trainer to randomize a new name for gyphed demons, which you currently cannot do.

2 Likes

It would be a nice quality of life thing to be able to reroll glyphed demons

Personalization for warlocks? The class that devs hate the most?! Nah

1 Like