Shadowlands RP And You

So with shadowlands getting a release date I wanted to see what the community thought about the possible new rp elements.

1. Will your characters travel to the shadowlands IC? Lorewise from what we’ve been told it’s a one way trip, so once you’re there you’re there for good, or until everything gets sorted.

2. There’s a rumored time skip coming with shadowlands lore wise maybe not gameplay wise. How will you handle handle something like this, or incorporate it into your rp? Or will you just ignore that too confusing?

3. what covenant would your characters fit into or seek out and why? This character would probably go Maldraxxus interested in the various ways he could improve his fleshy parts with necrolord fleshcrafting. An abomination of flesh and metal!

4. Since unique character appearance plays a large part in rp what customization would you like to personally see if you could choose somethings to add? Since I’m posting on my mechagnome something I think that would be cool for mechagnome customization would be a brain in a jar! The top portion of the head, or the side could be a glass casing with a visible brain floating in liquid.

4 Likes

The thing I’m most curious to see is: How many RPers are going to bring back their beloved characters who died ICly? Who will stay in the Shadowlands and who will come back with us?

Personally, my character (Arthryn) has built her life around staying behind and helping the people of Azeroth while all the Designated Heroes go off and fight whatever the big bad is, so she’ll come out of this expansion having lived through the time skip. I’m really excited to find out what happened while everyone was in the Shadowlands because that will add a whole new dimension to her character. (As a filmmaker, this is the kind of stuff I live for!)

5 Likes

Is there an official source for this? Last Blizzard official info I saw simply indicated Q4 with most speculation centering on November or very early December but no actual date.

1 Like

There’s been a couple gaming news articles posted earlier tonight claiming Blizz has confirmed a November launch, but I’ve not found anything from Blizzard proper.

That said, depending on your rp, you could always ICly convince a Bronze dragon to send you back to the time you left, assuming your character has some pull there? As to my guy, he’s largely been out of the rp scene other than random walkups, so will have him venturing into Shadowlands and the Revendreth covenant.

Is a timeskip confirmed or is that still under ‘heavily speculated’?

4 Likes

Yeah.
The odd English clickbait ones. Seen em.
:roll_eyes:

Events only. I’m sticking to Stormwind.

SCREW YOU BLIZZARD I’M NOT AGING, YOU DON’T RELEASE EXPANSIONS YEARLY?

Give me that sweet Vampire butt for 500 Alex. You that Covenant
won the polls right?

Er… No, you are a mechagnome.

Now everyone has my opinion and a crap guide to RP.

No one is welcome.

/wiggles.

I’d go into more details but I have ran out of freakin’ gummy bears irl… and alcohol.

It depends
If there is an IC way back, then a character of mine might check it out. If not, I might make a character who is passed away so I can RP in the new zones.

If there’s a time skip I plan to RP the time skip.
I’m actually anticipating the time skip just a bit. One of my newer characters is a very young mage. Through shadowlands I plan to RP out their novice days and if there is a time skip, odds are they’ll still be alive. If there isn’t a time skip, well I get to RP out their growth as a mage more.

This is the part that bugs me the most. My main character is a studious gnome mage who prefers not to fight if possible.

Not a single covenant covers this. On one hand it gives me freedom to pick the one I personally like the most, on the other I wanna pick a fitting covenant for her dang it!

My current plan it to just pick night fae cause the mage covenant ability looks really cool.

BLIND EYES FOR GNOMES
Literally the only thing I want.
Other races are getting them, but gnomes are stuck with green tinted ones that make them look irradiated.

3 Likes

Not stirring the pot here but Gnomes (and probably Goblins) at this point are engineering masters. They could make mechanical eyes.

While that would work for someone who went blind midway through life, it wouldn’t really work for a person who was born blind.

Your brain develops as you grow up, and if your born blind you don’t really have the need or the ability to develop the ability to comprehend vision. In result, the section of the brain normally dedicated to comprehending vision is instead wired to do something else. So even if their eyes were fixed, they would still not know how to see.

If you replaced them at birth that would probably work, but body modifications like that for gnomes didn’t really start appearing until recently.

I’ve done a bit of research into this just because of mechagnomes, even asked my grandfather who’s a retired Optometrist

Side note though, if we got mechanical eyes instead of blind eyes for gnomes I’d only be a little bit upset. Cause that would be cool too.

3 Likes

They are almost literal constructs. They can have mechanical eyes.

:fire: NOW I AM SITRRING THE POT.

From what I know, lore wise. Most Mecha are programmed. Sure, they could of had a mind before hand. But they are engineered before the transformation. With the Allied Race. They have gained some control.

Or maybe they had control all along? But look at it this way…

A FREAKIN’ OLD GOD HAD THEM.

LET ME KEEP GOING.

At creation.

Oh my goodness! Now THAT is a great concept. Making a deceased character… potentially related to an RP partner’s character perhaps? Or one of your own, but you couldn’t RP with your other toon very well. Could be very interesting regardless. :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m likely going to have at least one of my characters learn a lot more about her backstory that she was unable to before since literally everyone who knew it was dead. She’ll get to meet her parents, since she never could before, and find out what the haps was.

I will die on the hill that there is no timeskip and never has been, although what I’m starting to hear is that time moves ‘differently’ in the Shadowlands so like…you know, whatever. I don’t know why they need to be so weird about timelines. There are clearly annual holidays in the game that happen on a Gregorian-calendar schedule. I’m just gonna stick to that unless I have a specific reason to do otherwise.

From what I understand, time moves differently in the Shadowlands. But I think it’s more like what Turalyon and Alleria went through in the Twisting Nether. I don’t think there’ll be much of a time skip from Azeroth’s perspective.

Source?

/10char

There’s an ion interview about the time skip, and that SL intro quest on YouTube and wowhead which mentions how time seems different in the area. It’s my speculation that it’s like the twisted nether.

What will be hilarious is if it’s more like 1 month in shadowlands = 1 day in azeroth.

Would explain the aged Anduin comic.

Though more than likely it’d go on rule of cool/twisting nether and you’d just come back out ‘at the right time’.

Or better yet, 2 years in Shadowlands = 1 year on Azeroth to keep up with the trend of THAT timeline.

1. Will your characters travel to the shadowlands IC? Lorewise from what we’ve been told it’s a one way trip, so once you’re there you’re there for good, or until everything gets sorted.

IC, no, because as was mentioned, it is impossible to go into the Shadowlands if you are alive, unless you are the titular " Hero" , and/or are a lore character. Besides, how many -millions- of undead will be rampaging down from Northrend once the Crown is shattered.

2. There’s a rumored time skip coming with shadowlands lore wise maybe not gameplay wise. How will you handle handle something like this, or incorporate it into your rp? Or will you just ignore that too confusing?

I would happily embrace a timeskip, which is rumored to be 10yrs. Honestly its about time they had some form of jump forward, since it looks like, canonically, Azeroth has faced a threat…once a year? Get’s a bit old after a while. Plus it gives Blizzard a chance to change things up in Azeroth by the time the “hero” and the lore characters return from the Shadowlands.

3. what covenant would your characters fit into or seek out and why?

I may follow the lead of another who mentioned roleplaying a dead character, which would be my old paladin. But, we’ll see what happens.

4. Since unique character appearance plays a large part in rp what customization would you like to personally see if you could choose somethings to add?

Body damage, like scars or burns, and not just on Night Elves. Crude metal limbs on Undead, etc, etc.

1 Like

I’m like, 95% sure they’re talking about a regular gnomes. Else they wouldn’t have mentioned the hazy green ones.

Regular gnomes aren’t constructs anymore than humans are.

2 Likes

^^ That is a good point. There should be a nice campaign opportunity and RP storylines surrounding the spread of unchecked undead for those left behind on Azeroth.

Otherwise, I think it would be a nice ‘time skip’ that at least 5 years pass for everyone left on Azeroth while the heroes are away. 5 years isn’t enough time for, say, a child to grow up never knowing his parents, and hopefully not enough time for loved ones to pass away while the heroes are gone.

But! It would be a great chance for WOW to fix and update all the dead zones on their map. Specifically, rebuild Lordaeron and Gilneas. Perhaps establish a new home base for the night elves. Even update some of the older zones that should have moved on story wise by now. Or… a la Legend of Korra… create a vacuum where new adversaries/underestimated big players make moves to grab power.

2 Likes