Shadowlands PvP Updates Incoming

As we mentioned in last week’s Shadowlands Development Update, we’ve heard a lot of feedback from the PvP community that Conquest vendors in Shadowlands don’t offer enough of most players’ desired stats, leading to the sense that much of the best gear for PvP will have to be earned outside of PvP. We don’t want that to be the case.

Our current plan to address these concerns should become available in the Shadowlands Beta over the next couple of weeks.

First, we’re shifting the stat distributions on Conquest gear to always include Versatility. There should be two out of the three combinations (Versatility/Haste, Versatility/Mastery, Versatility/Crit) available for every slot. Secondly, we are adding a 2-piece set bonus, activated by equipping two PvP trinkets, such as crowd-control break (Medallion) or throughput (Battlemaster’s, Dominance, etc.) trinkets. This bonus will increase the damage and healing benefit of Versatility (but not the defensive benefit) while in Arenas, Battlegrounds, or War Mode.

The Conquest vendor will not offer perfect coverage of every stat combination, but neither does any other single source of gear in WoW. A player who favors Haste and Mastery cannot get a full set of Haste/Mastery gear from raiding alone, so if you’re someone who wants to be absolutely optimal, you’ll benefit from branching out across multiple types of content. Nonetheless, the result of these changes should be that a majority of the best gear for PvP now comes through the PvP system.

We look forward to your feedback on this, especially following your experiences testing the new itemization over the coming weeks.

114 Likes

shame we can’t branch out to other covenants. yay! thanks for the gear tho ig, just fix covenant swapping

12 Likes

Isn’t that just PvP stats with extra steps?

Inb4 a PvE trinket is so good for PvP that people break the set bonus for it.

52 Likes

The changes are much appreciated!

At the same time… oof. Core gearing changes right up until 1-2 weeks before launch.

4 Likes

Nice changes, agreed. There should be some benefits to playing all aspects of the game vs just 1 but you should still be able to acquire the majority of stuff from 1 source.

Now you just need to have a look at the costs of upgrading and obtaining the pvp gear. It is a pretty high requirement of honor right now for each piece and upgrading them. Although new beta build isnt out yet so this may have already changed.

37 Likes

Thank you for the blue post.

6 Likes

Hopefully ilvl is closer to pve now, changes are quite good but would suck to farm a lot of elite pvp gear that is worse in every way than entry lvl pve gear.

57 Likes

thanks for the feedback. What about the ilvl? Currently the pvp vendor offers EXTREMELY low ilvl gear and getting a piece to a measly 190ilvl takes a significant amount of time. IMO, high rated arena should reward the highest ilvl gear.

78 Likes

agreed… major oof. this launch will be a disaster…

5 Likes

I’m not against PvP vendors providing the best gear for PvP, but can’t you see that Versatility is the problem here? It’s such a boring stat which homogenizes the tankiness of every spec.

At this point we might as well have templates with how generic gearing is going to be.

21 Likes

Honor gear Ilvl is still way too low and requires too much to upgrade.

No clue how Conquest system works yet but if it’s basically the same it needs fixing

82 Likes

Awesome, these are steps in the right direction.

4 Likes

I like the change about PvP trinkets, but don’t like that versa is the main stat now. It is the most boring stat in the game. 80% of specs can’t play without haste, so you basically made every player to gear their character the same way in PvP

7 Likes

Much appreciated changes :+1:

The only other big issue I see would be that the ilvl disparity between rating brackets and their equivalent mythic+ or raiding ilvl will be out of whack if it’s like BfA. I’d say it’s infinitely harder for someone to get 2100-2400 than it is to complete a mythic+15. I’d really like to see the ilvl rewards for brackets looked at.

45 Likes

Good to see we’ll still be doing Mythic Raiding for 80% of our gear because of higher ilvl.

Told you Blizzard would do nothing substantial.

33 Likes

Good first steps really positive for the game dont stop here lets keep fixing glaring issues!! Also give hpal fast cast back for pvp theeenks!

2 Likes

There is no way that PvP gear will be upgradeable above M+, and especially not above/equal to Mythic raiding (especially if not 2.4K).

Horrible. Raid or quit.

I’m done with this game.

27 Likes

Thanks for the effort but I don’t think it’s going to be enough to keep high end pvpers from having to do mythic raiding to compete at the tip top of the pvp ladder. The set bonus for trinkets is a good idea but how muhc extra verse? and could it possibly compare to biking someone for a kill or the Shadowlands equivalent?

I find that hard to believe.

We need PvP power and a DR set bonus for pvp trinkets. Burst is high enough in beta pvp right now.

21 Likes

Pretty good changes, but please address the honor gear issue as well. The amount to fully upgrade a single piece is way too much that it makes honor gear not even worth getting. People will just feel the need to run mythic dungeons instead.

35 Likes