Shadowlands PvP Gear Update

Highlights:

• Versatility on all conquest gear.
  • Two out of three stat combos on all slot pieces.
  • PvP trinket set bonus

Some very good changes. It now looks as if PvPers can gear almost exclusively through PvP and not be behind PvE’ers.
I think the only question at this point is how much of an ilvl difference there is between PvP gear and PvE gear, and if the PvE ilvl advantage even matters now with the trinket bonus.

12 Likes

It’s a good start but the gearing and ilvl of gear needs to be looked at next.

6 upgrade paths to be on par with LFR is too slow when battlegrounds are harder than normal and heroic dungeons and don’t have a 100% success rate.

People report that honor gain is the same on beta as it is on live, at current costs of gear that is too slow. Either buff honor gain substantially or reduce the cost of upgrades and the gear pieces.

• Starting it at 170 (heroic dungeons) and upgrading through to heroic raiding via 4 upgrades feels much better.
  • Conquest gear should start at heroic raid level, upgrading all the way to mythic’s best gear (rating dependant for the highest levels?)

e: but yes you are right the ilvl factor is dependant on how beneficial the trinket bonus is. It might be that people equip the two PvP trinkets and then just wear all PvE gear because the ilvl is higher.

6 Likes

Good job Blizz … super response to your players . :+1:t4::+1:t4:

3 Likes

Now add a scaling system to the PvP-items and we are good to go.

5 Likes

I hate scaling … so I would be a solid no on that.

5 Likes

I mean a scaling system similar to woD, where the itemlevel of PvP-items increased in a PvP-scenario.

If this is not done…then this change is completely pointless. You will at best use two PvP-trinkets, and fill out the rest of your gear with PvE-items. Especially in the beginning because honor gear in its current state is completely pointless.

12 Likes

I appreciate the update, but I’m concerned that there isn’t much time left to test these changes.

PvE gear always out-classed PvP gear. But it was never a problem until Legion because of various ways of ensuring that PvP gear didn’t suffer in PvP. Now that is what is happening again in Shadowlands. Versatility on every piece (pseudo pvp stat) and the PvP trinket bonus which essentially makes PvP trinks BiS.
For the few pieces that don’t have your preferred stat combo then sure you may find a better option in PvE. And that’s fine. Nothing wrong with some minor crossover. But you won’t be hamstrung because of it.

2 Likes

They consider the pre-patch phase on live servers as a testing phase. :wink:

1 Like

Well, if it’s like BFA, they’ll consider the whole expansion as a testing phase too.

5 Likes

I’m disappointed, but this is still a step in the right direction.

The Conquest vendor will not offer perfect coverage of every stat combination, but neither does any other single source of gear in WoW. A player who favors Haste and Mastery cannot get a full set of Haste/Mastery gear from raiding alone, so if you’re someone who wants to be absolutely optimal, you’ll benefit from branching out across multiple types of content. Nonetheless, the result of these changes should be that a majority of the best gear for PvP now comes through the PvP system.

Either M+ and raiders are going to have perfect stat coverage between both of their areas of PvE or PvErs are going to have to PvP in order to get the stats they want. Neither option seems good.

There should be two out of the three combinations (Versatility/Haste, Versatility/Mastery, Versatility/Crit) available for every slot.

Am I reading this right: does this mean that 1/3rd of our gear will have stats that we don’t necessarily want?

I’d love to know why they chose to make damage and healing go up but not the defensive effect of versatility. This might be even better than WoD’s trinket set bonus in terms of getting PvE trinkets out of PvP.

Hopefully PvP gearing will be just as efficient and respectful of our time as the PvErs get, but considering all the QOL stuff they have (and I’m glad they have) I don’t think Blizzard can even begin to help us compete there. But so long as everyone hits the same plateau it won’t matter.

Here’s to hoping conquest gear isn’t tiered, requiring us to get 2,400 or be forever below the M+15 people.

WoD ilvl sacling would fix so much, especially since we know Blizzard can tie that to warmode instead of PvP combat.

2 Likes

This is a good first step.

Fix the honor/conquest upgrade gearing paths and good to go. :+1: :thinking: :100:

Completely guessing here, but maybe they don’t want PvPers to be markedly more tanky than PvEers. Otherwise, geared PvEers might get upset when they step into PvP.

If they balance PvP around players with full Versa gear and Versa defense bonus, PvEers will be too fragile in PvP.

1 Like

Is it just me, or does the entire PVP gearing system seem to be built around this idea?

10 Likes

We’re already going to be much tankier since our gear all has Vers on it.
So not only are we tankier by default but the trinket bonus boosts our damage and healing output. In theory we should be stomping PvE’ers, it just depends on how big the ilvl gap is with gear.

Yeah, it depends on implementation.

It’s possible that a geared PvEer still has higher damage output, and their higher hp covers the missing Versa.

I wouldn’t mind a small weapon bonus too… Offset crap like raden fist weapons/geti. Definitely a good start though

2 Likes

I was expecting a Tortollans Grit - %? take/give less/more in PVP with 2 pc Trinket. :smile:

Although cannot currently verify this with maths but my Versatility damage per stat felt different (weaker, especially vs main stat) on PTR since launched.
With our new bonus it seems to bring us back up our usual Versatility damage increase % within PVP.

Edit, Nice to see some acknowledgement.
There is a great recent thread on Wowhead which goes through the history of PVP gear in World of Warcraft, 100% worth the read. Many players had/have no idea how poorly the PVP gearing systems have been as of late, momentum.

1 Like

I am glad there are no tortollan references in SL.

It’s weird watching Legion babies try to argue about PvP gearing systems.

1 Like

remember bfa the first 6 months are actually testing they rush this crap out to make more $$$