Shadowlands Paladin Class Changes Preview

I know there are static costs for spenders right now for Ret, I just feel having more control over how you spend your holy power and how that affects your gameplay is much more interesting than “build 3 spend 3.”

1 Like

I like that auras are back. It’s paladin flavor. Nothing for gameplay. But it’s nice.
I think we are sleeping on this new Ret Aura tho. Wtf is that? Battle Rez with wings?

3 Likes

Just sounds like the pvp talent that whenever an ally die / or drop below x% of health we gain wings for a little while. This is a double edge sword aura if it is when an ally dies like the Retribution passive. During raid or dungeon progression we will be doing higher damage, and then when everyone knows fights and no one messes up you will be doing less damage. It’s literally Retribution passive.

Now if its when an ally drop below x% health it becomes a way better aura because during fights there will always be high dealing abilities that drop people health low before being healed back.

2 Likes

You are 100% right. I must have misread something somewhere.

Very disappointed about retribution aura… we need to hope for people to die in the group to get a boost on dps?

4 Likes

Its the quote about Paladins being the Bane of the undead that made think it might be returning. Not that I care for it.

Like I said my mind just when to weird place because they didn’t list it with the abilities they said do generate holy power.

So far, pally changes as a whole seem…decent enough. Auras, sure, except their retribution aura, why not just a thorns aura like how it used to be?

What concerns me is no word on any changes to repentance. I want the old repentance like how it was back in vanilla-cata when it was long cd but instant and exclusive to ret.

Also for the love of god can they just get rid of the stupid pony already and just give magic cleanse or emancipate or some crap like that? Literally NOBODY likes that spell.

Also the shield of the righteous addition sounds decent on paper…but is there still going to be any real incentive on weapon swapping on ret? If ret can actually get spell power out of intellect then I can see it actually being interesting akin to bring back the weapon swapping stuff ive seen rets do in wotlk, but if intellect is gonna remain a dead stat then the shield of the righteous baseline wont be too useful.

2 Likes

Even without specifics, I probably disagree with you on those points. I like everything about Prot right now. The scaling of WoG off your own health in Legion they fixed in BfA, that was my only annoyance.

I have vague memories from healing in MoP but was generally annoyed that healing had to have a rotation for max HP generation. Don’t remember particularly liking it. IMO raiding healing in Legion was great with the exception of SacAura cheesing and our dumb Mastery.

So I wouldn’t consider either of them awful experiences.

3 Likes

I like my pony. D=

3 Likes

How about no. It looks awkward aesthetically, and its just a garbage ability to use, period.

5 Likes

You know, I personally never liked the name “Holy Power”. Always sounded gamey and silly.

Honestly, they should have called them Seals.

You use abilities to “forge” Seals, and then “shatter” them when you spend them on abilities. Just a thought on how to make the mechanic feel less like a Saturday morning cartoon lol

6 Likes

Since legion ret has been boring and everyone hating on the pony and wanting long arm of the law and emancipation back and yet we didn’t get it. :frowning: sucks that ret use to be soooo fun.

5 Likes

PLEASE BLIZZARD:

Make it so that Exorcism makes a return, maybe as the ability used in the talent Blade of Wrath for Ret so that we can at least have it in some form.

I do not like Blade of Justice’s animation (great name for an ability, though) where some sword comes out of the ground and then disappears, it’s just weird.

I much prefer Exorcism, so please consider this idea.

Thank You

12 Likes

I’m actually loving blade of justice. I would say aesthetically and theme wise it’s quite fitting and is one of my favorite spells in our toolkit.

I love the blade storm we do when destroying things for world quest and would love to see that as a skill.

4 Likes

I really hope adding worthless Sense Undead didn’t use up some of our unpruning budget, lmao.

4 Likes

Is wake of ashes going to be on a 30sec CD like in legion? 45sec is too long tbh

So we got turn evil and sense undead but not exorcism? They should be like in a package. Exorcism fits into the shadowlands theme.

Divine intervention- I really hope this comes back

Retribution aura- really lackbuster, only viable on first week of raids and bgs

10 Likes

I have to disagree. Blade of Justice feels more like a Shaman ability, tbh. Paladin abilities should come from the sky or the Paladin themselves, not the ground.

4 Likes

If it had anything to do with the earth, then sure. It clearly disperses into light after its conjured as well.

It’s a hardlight light structure, which I would like to see more of. One of the notion that had me go Paladin here recently was from a person who pointed out we are indeed conjurers.

3 Likes

Glimmer staying in the game makes me happy. Mostly because it means they heard everyone saying they like it and actually implemented it.

1 Like

Umm…how…can you do Shield of the Righteous as Holy…? Does that means we can use shield?