Shadowlands Lore

so what would stop someone from just going to oribos and using the org portal? I see venthry walk around all the time. So could Lady ash just leave maldrax, pop into orbiros. Go back to azeroth, and get the ole serpent shrine gang back together?

Then what would happen if they died on azeroth, do they go back to the shadowlands?

Lot of this doesnt seem to make sense that we can freely travel and they cant, i get it because we are a mortal. But what happens if we die in the shadow lands then? We just stuck there for real?

1 Like

By the Maldraxxus afterlives cinematic, we know that they can and do leave Maldraxxus. I think Lady Vashj likes it where she is.

If they died, they would go back to the Shadowlands, like the demons go back to the Nether.

If we die, pretty much nothing happens. The Kyrian will never take us to the Arbiter, because we will never be ready. Too much quests to do, too much gear to loot. We just get rezzed.
Lorewise other things could happen, but it would pretty much the same as dying on Azeroth.

3 Likes

They haven’t bothered explaining. If I was going to suggest a logical argument as to why, it could simply be that anima is much more difficult to absorb in the mortal world for souls, which is what they are, and as such they would start starving after a time, kind of like a fish out of water. They aren’t normal in any physical sense, even if they are tangible.

1 Like

I don’t think the portal is there lore-wise.

1 Like

As a mage I can teleport to Oribos… am I a necromancer now?

You will hurt yourself if you spend too much time trying to rationalize it.

It would have to be there lore wise because Darion goes back to Azeroth to tell the Ebon Blade what’s going on and Taila comes to Oribos with Calia.

2 Likes

I imagine having a physical form in the Shadowlands is much different from having a physical form in Azeroth or other mortal planes.

The Shadowlands is filled with ambient anima and since souls are made of anima, I have no reason to doubt that if a soul went from a realm full of anima to a realm with no anima, equilibrium would take over and they would just dissolve. That’s how I interpret it at least.

Either way, I’m sure there’s some sort of physical (spiritual?) limitation that stops souls from leaving the Shadowlands, even when there’s a portal right there in Oribos. I’m also pretty confident that they don’t constantly keep the portals open from a story perspective, it’s just like that for gameplay reasons and they actually open the portals for each individual that wants or needs to travel between Azeroth and the Shadowlands.

I also imagine she wouldn’t want to go back. Why would she? She’s moved past her life now and she has a position of respect and power. Previously she was a petty villain and an outcast struggling for survival with her people, not exactly a lot to miss.

This is always a tricky one every time a new expansion is released and connections are made to capital cities. I’m fairly sure that in the eyes of the lore and canon, these portals aren’t actually there and being used, it is strictly for gameplay purposes.

It has been said that at the end of Shadowlands, we will have not returned back to Azeroth for quite some time, with that in mind it would make the most sense that the portals simply don’t exist.

1 Like

I’m fairly confident that the Org/SW Portal is not there in lore it’s just for gameplay/convenience purposes

1 Like

I guess that explains why bane’s just sitting in the hall with some PTSD where he won’t even stand near the table with everyone else

ol emma, dezco and someone else travels to oribos

I wouldn’t be too sure. We’ve had other characters apparently come through those portals from the Living World side. Tharassian, Koltira Deathweaver, Sunwalker Dezco, Ol Emma, Calia, and Taelia all seem to have made that trip. The only thing we don’t know is if its canonically one way? Or if the apparent restrictions Bolvar discussed extend to other characters?

I would assume it extends to the kidnapped 4 at the very least.

1 Like