Shadowlands lore still hurts me to my core

In otherwords the Kyrian grab Souls found in the Veil while Souls in the Physical Realm due to strong ties to it for some reason will be inaccessible to the Kyrian.

The Veil is a place between the Physical Realm and the Realms of Death(Shadowlands) where Souls that don’t stay in the Physical Realm go.

It is not to be mistaken for the Realms of Decay such as the Realm of Shadows(host to countless Void Entities), the Devourers’ Realm and the Rift(host of Maw Shades) as they are part of the Shadowlands itself.

Fun Fact Player Souls when releasing from their Bodies in the Shadowlands don’t go to the Veil but stay in the Shadowlands as normal but without a Body so I would assume the same thing happens with Ghosts seen in the Physical Realm(I.E. they stay in the Physical Realm instead of going to the Veil).

Funny how the Players go to the Border between the Physical Realm and Death while many Souls of the Dead simply remain in the Physical Realm instead of going to the Border Realm.

Seems Players have ties to both Death & the Physical Plane while other Souls have only ties to the Physical Plane.

Incidentally there is a Border Realm between the Realms of Life(Gardens of Life) & Death(Shadowlands) said Border Realm being a Dark Forest which incidentally is where Uuna was taken during her story.

As a concept, this isn’t any weirder than having the Nether as the source of power for Warlocks. The real problem is to send people there who have never engaged in necromancy, simply because they were “war-like” in their mortal existence.

Because necromancy functions in defiance to the nature of Death—That is like expecting Holy Magic to come from the Void. I honestly feel like Necromancy could of been easily said to be of the void, for example. They had all the framework there for it in what they built for WotLK. It could of also of been a type of Chaos Magic, or a very dark branch of Order Magic.

I am OK with what is essentially a spirit realm of beings whose goals are to spread and nurture life, which is essentially what the realm of life is. It seems like the Emerald Dream is a really large place compared to what we thought and the Titans messed with the portion of it that encompasses Azeroth.

See that is the issue I have had, I am able to give a one line descriptor for each cosmic force and its goals, except for death. Danuser said Shadowlands was supposed to show Death as a real player in the cosmic chess game yet it did not do that at all.

I feel like it definitely should of been a force which policed fate and destiny and ensured all mortals met their end when their time had come. Death brings an end to all creatures, but also provides the room for Life to make new things as a result. Death also should of actually been all about the Cycle, and about helping souls prepare to shed their past life and be reborn again. For all they talk about life and death being an eternal cycle, Death actually just takes and takes and gives very little back in the way they depicted it.

1 Like

All of these concepts have basically just been filtered down to different colored energy beams.

Shadowlands are the realm of “death” except the only things that die and go there are mortals. Titans, demons, naaru, etc all go to their respective cosmic realms. They are the realm of “necromancy” except Light and Void can also do that, and probably a bunch of other stuff. They use the energy of souls but so does Fel. Aesthetically, there are realms of death that look like realms of life, or order, or chaos.

It’s frankly less the realms of death as a concept and more the realms of that-magic-thats-kinda-teal-colored.

8 Likes

I get where you’re coming from. The impression I get from the speech of Lady Deathwhisper in ICC is that the Cult of the Damned sees itself as a society that tries to achieve immortality by using shadow magic. And the Warcraft 3 Scourge faction has shadow spies for a reason. The Necrolords, on the other hand, are basically Valhalla with skeleton people, but they look like that because the First Ones felt like it.

1 Like

Theoretically you cannot- and yet, there must have been nothing before there was something. Nobody questioned that the Light simply came into existence, and shadow from it, when Chronicles 1 asserted it.

Rofl that sounds about right. It’s just different arcs to sell us while characters get their classic DBZ esque arc that just changes their hair lmao.

2 Likes

And yet, that’s been ‘technically’ retconned. Chronicle Vol 1 is now told from the perspective of the Titans, rather than it being a definitive ‘lore book’ and as such it only tells the things the Titans want to tell, from their viewpoint, meaning that as far as they’re concerned the Light and Void came from nothing.

But as we actually know from Shadowlands lore, the First Ones created everything (and we do not know where they came from) meaning Light, Void, Order, Disorder, etc. It all came from them. What did they create it with? Unknown, but they did create it and the magic we know comes from these various cosmic forces that the First Ones created.

1 Like

You misunderstood my point. Nobody batted an eye at the concept- and realistically? It still has to be true in some form. Something has to have come from nothing, the First Ones have to have come from something- and if they didn’t come from nothing, that had to come from something, so on and so forth.

Nobody has an issue with believing that something can come from nothing in this setting. The fact that they retconned it to be something else already exposes that they’ll most likely do it again when they run out of First Ones plots and need to make something else.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’ll ever reveal who the first ones were, or show us a first one.

I think that’s going to be something that just looms over the entire universe, much like how the Titans did before we got to see them for the first time in Legion. We know they exist, we know they created all this stuff, but we don’t know who they are, where they are, what they look like etc.

We just get to see what they left behind.

It is for the best if they leave the Progenitors mysterious, because the truth is never as grand as the mystery and what players imagine in their minds.

They were divine beings beyond yet all of all the cosmic forces, who took a cosmos in constant unmitigated strife and bound it into a pattern, and shackled primordial cosmic spirits into it to serve a function. That is enough. Just as it was enough to meet the titan keepers back in WotLK.

1 Like

I would really like to see Blizzard show me they still have an entry level ability to write a pop fantasy human town of a dozen characters before they ever try to be all existential again

4 Likes

Look at the titans, originally they were very mysterious. Viewed as the creators of the people of Azeroth, then later on they kept explaining more and more about them. I’m sure they’ll give the first ones the same treatment.

1 Like

Lmao same, they need to go back to basics which appears to be mostly what DF is.

I never said they would, I just said they Should. I hope they at least wait a few expansions, killing mystery tends to just result in disappointment.

2 Likes

Gotcha, well we shall see that’s for sure.

I think part of the issue is that WoW treats Necromancy as, both, a flavor of magic as well as a magical process.

This is what I mean by that:
Previous to Shadowlands, Necromancy basically just meant “Magic used to animate corpses and souls”. And multiple “flavors” of magic were capable of Necromancy.
“Shadow” Necromancy was the most familiar one, using “Shadow” to bind souls to corpses.
But there were also Fel Necromancy.
And Void Necromancy.
Light Necromancy thanks to Calia, and even then resurrection could be seen as a form of Necromancy.

But now with Shadowlands, Necromancy is “Death Magic”. And Death Magic can do almost anything, so the distinction is sorta pointless besides deciding which particle effect to use.

3 Likes

Sindane shows that Necromancy is not limited to Death.

Infact the Shadowlands Zones seems to have a Zone for each Magic School except Fel & Holy: Arcane for Bastion, Shadow for Revendreth, Nature for Ardenweald, Necromancy for Maldraxxus and raw Death for Zereth Mortis.

Of the Forces of Life we only see Red Dragonflight Magic(Nature), Blood(Necromancy) and Lunar & Night Warrior Magic(Arcane) and in the case of Red Dragonflight Magic we aren’t even certain it is from the Cosmic Force of Life or instead from the Cosmic Force of Order tied to the Element of Life/Spirit.

If Red Dragon Life Magic is actually Order enhanced with the Life Element(not Cosmic Force) then we haven’t seen the Cosmic Force of Life as anything but Necromantic(Blood) & Arcane(Lunar & Night Warrior) Magic.

Maybe De Other Side is a seperate afterlife but like all the other afterlives, are subservient to the four covenants. So, De Other Side is one of the infinite number of Ardenweald, Bastion, Maldraxxus, or Revendreth derivatives

Considering the Primus’ void like abilities, speculation that Maldraxxus itself is a corpse of a dead Old God, and the existence of the spidey House of Eyes, maybe Maldraxxi architecture is derived from Black Empire style architecture

It is implied that the Nerubians abandoned their worship of the Old Gods when they split from the Aqir Empire following the outcome of the Troll, Aqir war. hence why they got attacked by Faceless ones while digging away from the scourge. Then there are the dungeon quests for The Old Kingdom in which a Nerubian asks you to defeat a Herald of Yogg-saron.