Shadowlands had the right concepts Initially

I think it’s hinted that it’s a living organism

how do they get living organism to the zone?

No idea honestly. But the prevailing theory is it’s some living organism unique to the shadowlands. Like marsallium, the mushroom guy in ardenweald

There wasn’t nearly enough focus on the death part of the life/death cycle for me in Ardenweald; you can have an afterlife paradise, but paradise for rebirth is… weird.

But uh, ‘heaven’ is a pretty big concept used by two of the world’s four biggest religions, the majority of a third of those four big religions, and a significant part of the fourth of those four big religions. I thought Bastion landed reasonably well with pinging ‘heaven’. There’s a lot to analyze on where it goes wrong, which is why I only give it a 6, but there’s self-abnegation, a lack of material need, ascension to a higher plane of existence, and a general feeling of detachment and reverence that I think most other zones tend to be consistently missing and are only sometimes present.

The Shadowlands Afterlives are heavily implied to be entities similar to the Lifeforms churned out by Zereth Mortis.

Zereth Mortis’s Animals have meat beneath their Metal Exteriors so the Afterlives being creatures hatched from big Eggs laid by Zereth Mortis adjusted by the Technology of the First Ones would not surprise me.

Revendreth has exposed Veins in the Endmire just so you know.

1 Like