Shadowlands beta weird resolution issues

In the current Shadowlands Beta, my default System resolution settings on a 2020 iMac 5K Retina (10-core i9, 5700XT graphics, macOS 10.15.7) are the same as they were in BfA: full-screen, windowed, at the true Retina display pixel count of 5120 x 2880. (I know Blizzard recommends half those values, given the way Apple maps pixels, but the higher res produces great contrast and makes things, especially labels, much easier for my geezer eyes — and also makes everything look better.) Yet the resolution at game launch is much lower (3840 x 2160), and everything looks as though I’d been drinking a weak alcoholic beverage.

If I command-M to switch to a smaller window, then command-M again to switch back to full-screen (windowed), the resolution snaps back to what I had set it to, and everything is sharp and readable again. Is this a feature?

Is it also a feature that to get UI element size and NPC character names set at a readable size, I have to set the UI scale to 0.65, the minimum allowed, when I was able to achieve the same UI features sizes in BfA with a value of 1.0?

Maybe these “features” have something to do with unreleased hardware and/or OS versions. But right now, with current hardware and software, they strike me as odd and less than optimal.

Thanks for considering a reply.

(P.S. These comments were too long for the in-game Bug Reporter, and for some reason I can’t create a new topic in the Beta forum… so I posted here.)

2 Likes