Shadowlands: AMD or Intel?

Hello!

I would like to give and update to my computer to make the best experience out of it and I would like to have some advice in which is better:

AMD or Intel?

I don’t really know much about computers. I think Intel core i7 could be a good choice but I’ve heard amd has a good performance as well. Besides WoW I don’t play much, and I have my personal and work related info on the same computer.

So what do you think is better? Thank you beforehand!!

If you google “intel versus amd”, you’ll see plenty of articles comparing the differences. They are both good for gaming and everything else.

WoW has low system requirements compared to other games. I’m not sure how much you want to spend. If your buying a desktop, I would get one with a dedicated graphics card (not integrated) that can be upgraded later. if it’s in your price range.

There are plenty desktops with dedicated graphics cards in the $700 - $1000 range that would run all of today’s demanding games on high settings with good frame rates, and WoW for many years.

My 2010 PC still runs WoW on above average settings with no lag even in 30 man raids.

Also, google “CPU hierarchy 2020”, and “GPU hierarchy 2020” to see the rankings.

Right now AMD is on top in terms of CPU raw performance however WoW can’t really take advantage of the top of the line CPU’s since the game isn’t multi-threaded. This isn’t to say that a Ryzen 9 won’t perform great it’s just that all those cores won’t be used by the game like they would a modern game.

As for video cards I’m still a fan of NVIDIA over AMD but that’s just my personal preference, AMD cards may be better these days, not sure.

1 Like

Wow actually uses relatively few CPU cycles compared to other games but it is graphics intensive.

A less expensive CPU that would allow you to spend more for a higher end graphics card is a good option.

1 Like

I’m as well a fan of the NVIDIA graphics cards. I recently purchased a new PC that came with an RTX 2060 graphics built into it and I average 100+ FPS in-game.

Not to mention my settings are at recommended setting of (7) out of (10). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to chime in here, in the current generation, AMD graphics cards are better price to performance than nvidia, however they often take a lot longer to get bugs worked out of their drivers.

So if you’re looking for more bang for buck, that will eventually be pretty stable, check into AMD’s 5000 series cards.

However if you want to pay a bit more for guaranteed stability now, nvidia’s 2000 series cards are the way to go.

All of this being said, both AMD and Nvidia are about to launch new generation graphics cards, with nvidia set to announce theirs in just a few weeks (AMD will likely be close behind in their announcements). If you’re on the edge of upgrading now, it might be worth waiting just a bit to see what next generation has to offer on both sides of the fence. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much you all!! I really appreciate the feedback