Shadowland Covenants and Vol'Jin

I was reading up on the shadowlands expansion and read how certain people would be in certain covenants. I already know where most if not all Orcs would go, but WHERE is Daddy Vol’jin? Or would he even be in the shadowlands? I gotta know so I know which faction I have to blindly join.

3 Likes

I’m hoping Vol’jin will have a more overarching role across the entire Shadowlands storyline and that he will be working with all of the Covenants.

21 Likes

I thought I heard on the forums that The Other Side was in Ardenweald? That could be wrong, though. And obviously he’s kind of a weird case due to “being touched by the hand of valor”, but I’d be shocked if he never interacted with the afterlife he was supposed to go

1 Like

His family (or father?) should be encountered in the Other Side, that would be where to find him.

The loa are a form of wild god so that’s likely a true location.

4 Likes

Be careful what you wish for, you know how that’ll play out:

“Champion, mon. I be needin’ ya help! Dey be an anima eruption nearby, 'n someone be trynna steal it. Ya gotta stop dem!”

Forgive my horrible troll accent.

22 Likes

If Bolvar is probably going to be this expansion’s Saurfang, I guess Vol’jin would fit as our Magni this go around.

9 Likes

likely the same place as the Loa, Bwonsamdi for instance has a whole realm to himself for dead trolls who worshipped him in life. Voljin had a fairly rocky relationship with Bwonsamdi towards the end and BFA but considering Bwonsamdi’s respect for Voljin’s dedication to his own personal morals and the dibs he put on Voljin’s soul as a result it’s VERY likely Vol’jin went to “The other side”, Bwon’s realm for dead trolls he deemed worthy.

1 Like

Vol’Jin should’ve gone to the Other Side, Bwonsamdi’s realm as he was his champion in life, and it was Darkspear patron for years. But Jailer severed his ties to Loa and thrown him to the Maw where he spent there his time until in BfA he was “touched by hand of Valor” and pulled out of there. Where is he now it’s unknown but he was referencing that he will take a deep dive into Shadowlands as a whole to figure out what is going on, vut we never seen him since.

And yes apparently entrance to “the other side” is located in Adenweld - or whatever. (Seriously who came with such a ridiculous names?).

3 Likes

I think it’s neat. Not everything has to have some Latin-esque name to sound cool. Trolsl calling it “de odda side” gives insight on how they see the dead. “De odda side” is such a vague sounding description of the afterlife that it makes me think Trolls are unsure of what happens to them in the afterlife. Compare this to Humans who believe in a Heaven with the Light, or the Tauren who believe their ancestors becomes one with the world.

Don’t quote me on the Tauren part. I’m just guessing since disturbing sacred Tauren burial grounds unleashes angry spirits, as seen with the Taunka in Borean Tundra.

With ridiculous names I meant the vampire and forest zones. I can’t be bothered to type their names correctly because they’re so over the top like regular elven names.

As if they couldn’t name it Purgatory and Eden respectfully or something like that.

1 Like

Am I the only one who can only remember the covenant name “Necrolords”?

None of my current toons really match the theme of these covenants either, except maybe my lock and the vampy faction. The only thing appealing about them is hanging around cool looking castles but since the cool looking castle is the expansion’s first raid, that’s kind of true for everyone.

They’re already missing a zone that fits Shamans and Hunters. Having everything even more Christian based would just be excluding other cultures all the more.

2 Likes

I agree on that, but I was not asking for enforcing more of Christian culture, Purgatory don’t have to be christian related at all. I was addressing over the top names and that they could use something simpler and more pleasant to the tongue.

1 Like

Ardenweald is not all that phonetically different from Arendelle from Disney’s Frozen. I’m not sure what you qualify as over the top.

I don’t know what that is, never watched this movie. But if they wanted a zone where wild gods are restoring I’d use completely different visuals and different name. For example if we use reincarnation theme, why not using Indian (Hinduism) influence? Or go mesopotamian influence with names inspired from Arallû or Ganzer. Or Polynesian with Pulotu.

Funny enough Xibala was referencing Xibalba which was underworld for mesoamericans.

In Diablo 3 they had M’bwiru Eikura - unformed land.

But I am not a game dev. I wouldn’t make yet another forest zone and give completely new take on afterlife visual and I wouldn’t Name it Aerevneal or Seaertheal or something else weird to spell.

1 Like

Weird is subjective. Finding a name weird because it comes from a different culture is just unfamiliarity, reflective more of yourself than the name itself.

2 Likes

Well duh, we’re arguing currently my opinion. But I meant overly complicated to spell names and prefer simpler ones.

Even when checking the ancinet cultures names they also had fairly simple names either for gods or afterlife.

1 Like

I don’t find it difficult to spell. It’s just two names borrowed from real world locations put together. Arden. Weald. Both are pretty simple.

2 Likes

Good for you then.

2 Likes

I have a feeling we may end up journeying to other realms within the Shadowlands following through major patches that keeps with the story, so presumably we might end up visiting the Troll’s/Bwonsamdi’s realm and other explanations of that sort

Other than that we can only speculate and wait PTR

1 Like