Shadow Resistance - Warlock spells

I’ve seen corruption and agony get partial tic resists. Its true some could have been misses but not all of them would have been.
While leveling I can remember on higher level mobs drain getting full damage but other dots doing next to nothing as well.

I can tell you that you need to do a lot more testing if you said you had no partially resisted dots. These are just some random examples, but the top one is the first time I fought that guy. You can tell that when he rezd he put on shadow resist gear and then tried again, just by looking at the numbers shown. Third is just the last encounter I had where you can see again, a person in their normal gear is partially resisting.

tl;dr - at least do some decent testing yourself before posting stuff like this on the forums.

imgur(.)com/bd8LHHw.jpg

Are you specced for hit? (Suppression)
Do you have +hit gear?

If not, then no mystery, really. At 60 you need +17%(hit) to land a hit on a 62 elite.

Of course I did honey, the testing is what lead me to make the post. I just didn’t know how to post the screenshot.

https: //imgur. com/gUz56Sb

I tested with 149 shadow resistance. First test was him using DoTs on me, none got resisted. Then I asked him to throw in shadowbolt to the mix, which was partially resisted and even fully resisted.

In the shadowbolt testing u may notice I get curse of agony and corruption damage too, which receive no resistance at all, but the shadowbolt is resisted (by a large amount given the high amount of shadow resistance).

Its possible the lock I was testing with had a different talent setup.

I’ve also noticed this when pvping against affliction locks, I usully have aroun 70-80 shadow resistnce, which should account for some absorbtion, and every time I check the combat log post fight, the majority of DoTs are not resisted at all.

Interesting, keep up the investigation lads

You should check more often, or do some more testing, because I have 63 shadow resist and ill resist a portion of a dot about 1/3rd the time. I mean literally anyone with any shadow resist who spent 5m testing this and do the OP’s job for him, so we wouldn’t have to read posts like this that aren’t actually bugs.

I did actually.

It seems the issue comes with Supression talent, which is reducing resistances in pvp acting not only as +hit, but also as spell penetration.

Now I have asked most locks I know, and neither of them can confirm nor deny this is how it used to work in vanilla. I haven’t been able to find a source on vanilla warlock pvp that would confirm this functions correctly, or is working as intended. Seemed a little strong.

It may not be a bug at all.

Anyways for the testing, I found 2 warlocks willing to help. Testing again with 149 shadow resistance

a) The first warlock had 2/5 in Supression talents. Some of the spells are being fully resisted or partially resisted, not all of them obviously:

https: //imgur. com/rCWAbNA

b) The second warlock had 5/5 in Supression, here there are almost no resists for affli spells, only one siphon life is fully resisted, but no partial resists at all:

https: //imgur. com/hhlMjXt

Again not sure if the talent is supposed to work this way, because to my understanding it was always meant as a +hit talent, although it is highly possible its also supposed to grant normal spell penetration. As I said before, I found no source on this, it seems no one knows. But I found it a little bit odd because it seemed uber strong.

PS: if u want to dismiss my argument, do so from a classic character, not from cowardly retail character.

It does NOT act like spell penetration, and everyone has suppression. Spell hits are misses and penetration resists are damage mitigation. Jesus christ, quit trolling on the bug forums.

1 Like

Did u see the screenshots or are you just trolling mate?

1 Like

Suppression works like +hit as mentioned above.

Always worked that way too. Played a lock main since 2006

So its not supposed to reduce resistances?

Because this is what testing lead me to believe. Currently the dots of an affliction lock don’t get resisted, or very few get resisted with a high shadow resistance gear if they have points in supression.

Guys, he’s saying that Suppression is potentially ACTING incorrectly as spell pen- not that it’s supposed to give spell pen. I wonder if shadow focus is doing similar things…

3 Likes

Yeah it should only be acting as +hit. This seems to be a bug if true.

This might answer your question (had to dug it back a little):

Kalgan post-2.0 dot nerf: “Previously, dots in general were 1/10th as likely to be resisted as normal spells.”
http://web.archive.org/web/20080601184008/http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=65457765&pageNo=18&sid=1#348

2 Likes

Suppression reduces mob resistance to affliction spells and hence, increases your chance to hit.

This is useful thanks, but I wonder if this applies to partial resists for tick damage when it comes to DoTs.

Bare in mind I was wearing a shadow resistance set which provides much higher resistance than what the average player is usually wearing, and even if they were 1/10 less likely to be resisted, there would still be some resistance, or partial resistance. This to me is particularly intriguing when it comes to DoT damage, and partial resists.

I’m sure someone at Blizz has already jumped right on the trusty reference client to check on this! :smiley:

1 Like

well a confirmation from them on the subject would at least be nice.

1 Like

Yeah more testing on partial resist of dots is needed. Someone try with fire resist geat and flame shock to see if its common or not

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a partial-resisted dot tick in classic.