Shadow priest theme currently sucks

I love the the old god worship angle. I think it’s really cool and unique. But the gameplay is kind of terrible right now. It almost always feels like there’s no right way to play and that you’re wasting something.

You get up to full insanity, and you either spend it right away or sit on a full bar and save it for when you can get maximum use out of it. Going into void form and spending it needs to be worth it. Since things out in the world generally die so quickly you more often than not feel like you’re wasting it all. However sitting on a full bar gives you nothing and wastes anymore insanity you might otherwise be building. So you almost never feel like you’re making the right decision!

I think there needs to be a big passive buff to sitting at full insanity. Like increased damage, or haste, or maybe even all your secondary stats. So there’s a real decision to be made about going into void form. Either you get your awesome passive buff, or you go ballistic for a few seconds by going void.

Also the current shadowform is god damn terrible. Even with the glyph of shadows. The swirly crap all over your character makes me physically ill. It actually reminds me of the weird blind spots I get before a migraine. And the purple cloud around you is awful. When you fly along it leaves a trail of little puffs behind you.

I haven’t enjoyed playing a priest since the cata changes personally.

Yup…the classic shadow priest theme was always cooler. I never liked how they forced this silly tentacle crazy crap into it.

I stopped playing Shadow when they made it old gods themed. I hate the new Shadowform and Voidform. I don’t like the actual gameplay of the spec now, either.

Bring back old Shadow with Devouring Plague. New Shadow is garbo.

IMO, seems like Blizz is unsure what Shadow Priests are supposed to be.

Are they void? Are they shadow? Are they even priests???

They should either go all in on the void priest theme and give them more tentacles (I mean, could you imagine being in void Form and summoning a swarm of tentacles to slap your foes to death???);
Or, stick with the old shadow kills you while it heals me, theme like in TBC.

This. I agree a simple(?) glyph would fix.

I like the old gods concept for shadow priests, but there is a significant problem with it. The moment you realize shadow priests consort with old gods even a little bit is the moment you’d never trust them as a part of your faction other than disposable tools. It means only horde would use them at all. Alliance would out law them. And they would always be despised by the common folk.

2 Likes

Personally my headcanon has always been that my shadow priest draws on the remnants of Y’shaarj’s power since he’s dead.

The void is also the source of all shadow magic.

Meaning blood magic, death magic, necromancy, vampiric magic, Psychic maniplulation, and shadow magic

I’d prefer is we were more focused on what type of magic we use that pertains to our spec, rather than just a general blanket type of “void theme”

Either that, or give us aspects of death, blood, and necromantic magic. That way we really would encompass all aspects of the void

I really miss the old shadow priest aesthetic for sure, but I don’t mind the Old God theme. I just hate Void Form with a passion. I can’t get my priest past level 102 because I hate the playstyle so much.

Playstyle is very clunky atm
Weird gdc conflicts and voidform isn’t fun.

1 Like

I don’t mind the whole “tentacle” void concept, I just want Devouring Plague and Mind Spike back. I think those fall into the Old God theme. Also, I have asked numerous times to please get rid of the sparkle effect on Levitate and replace Holy Word: Shield with a more Shadow themed ability (if even just a shadowy shield). People have offered a really cool suggestion in the past that Blizz make it so you actually lose sanity rather than build insanity. I think that’s a pretty neat concept if they’re gonna stick with the current iteration.

1 Like

Tentacle daddy follower>>>some edgy wing dark guy

With #removevoidform trending I decided to bring up this part of the discussion too.

Not only gameplay wise, but the theme was much more awesome with the shadow magic vs void.

Preist class could be fixed if it gets 2 dps and 1 healing spec(s).

1 Like

Speak for yerselfs m8s. I love to be tentacly girl. To all my knowledge the cult of the forggotten shadow can die.

Old gods are way interesting that some random guy that worships a nebolous concept of darkness.

I like using this gal on legion, and make everyone suffer with my face melting haste, and stacks.

I wouldn’t mind to have glyphs or another class that has the old themed aspect of the old shadow priest or the new one, I only want to remaind with why i like about the class i like.

I also love new survival hunter.

I always did like the idea of a dark angel-y vibe better, but I’m fine with the old gods stuff too. That said, I’m definitely on the ‘remove voidform or make it a really exciting CD instead’ train.

1 Like

Be neat if they just split it into two different visual sets like people are asking to be done for Paladins.

Have one being shadow using the older visuals and such.
The other can be void based using void form in place of shadowform.

I like the void stuff but I like options even more.

I’m not a fan of void form mechanically, but I always hated the dark wings thematically. That crap belongs in diablo not in this game. Other than that you make fair points, the spec was way more fun back then than it’s been with void form. Used to be my favorite class, now it’s like alt #5 or something.

It’d be nice if we could move away from Voidform. Now is a perfect time to change the theme of Shadow Priests… The Old Gods are dead. Yes we still have Void Lords and Void Elves so we can still use Void/Shadow magic but please… get rid of Voidform.