Shadow priest in torghast?

Did they, like, forgot to make SP specific dmg powers? All powers are either defensive or generic. Where do you even get dps? No mind flay or mind blast dmg powers, nothing for dev plague, nothing for pet. I really don’t get it. Most dps coming from reflective PWS.

4 Likes

you need to do more runs before judging, their is mind blast powers, SWD powers etc

1 Like

i am looking at full list of powers right now and nothing seems to be that good except swd stacking dmg.

Well your missing the mind blast power that cant stack pretty high and the swp one as well

The priest pool for Torghast is absolutely terrible. The fact it also does not take into account spec or which wing you’re in makes it worse.

The mind control (Puppetmaster strings) options obviously seem to think mind control is VERY different than it is. Shadow can’t even do a pet style MC given it doesn’t have the talent, and the fact even on other specs that you’d need to get the anima multiple times to even be as good as what DKs get baseline is ridiculous. (not to mention as shadow you’d likely get more damage and overall effectiveness from just damage, not channeling MC)

Shackle anima to reduce cooldown of PI? Why…why would I shackle something and wait just to get the cooldown and not just manage the cooldown? Its silly at best, and the fact it comes up in wings with no undead is even more strange and makes it more terrible.

Holy damage can stun enemies! So amazing when you’re in shadow spec -_-

SW:Death stacking is dangerous and a good way to get yourself killed. Once you’ve got a big int stack and all, throwing multiple SW:Death will easily just flat kill you before you can kill the mob. I mean really, the maw corpse bag getting up to like 28 stacks of casts and then if you stack the damage even with that combo…you’re going to die. I hit a crit one run that then backlashed me for 4/5 my hp and that was with me having a big stack of secret spices and fort buffs. I can’t imagine going “I’ll just spam this” or if it had a bigger stack.

Psychic wallet just feels like “Well time to go as slow as possible and MC every mob” and having more phantas would feel great IF WE COULD BUY ANY GOOD ANIMAS but that’d require good ones to be available.

All of the fear ones COULD be good but they’d need buffed more. Wailing visage 4 more sec on scream isn’t bad but the fact you MUST combine it with multiple increase is damage to break fear to even be useful. If I’ve gotten something like Cilise of Denathrius or other big damage buffs (that aren’t priest specific mind you) even having 3 of the +400% damage ones means all of nothing and I break the scream fear near instantly. They’d have to buff them to like 600% or something to be even useful, and even then you’d still need like 3-4 of them AND 3-4 of the +4 seconds to make fearing legitmately useful. Let alone why would I want Pandemonium Loop? I can aoe fear things that I’ve feared with my AOE fear? What? Who thought that was a good idea? Heck even the Censure that boosts damage to CCed stuff, when it just makes you break the CC faster?! How is this suppose to be a good thing when I need SUPER specific animas and lots of them to make any of this actually useful.

The rates at which Thick Burlap Sash comes up but Life barrier does it makes it a roll of the dice if you’re suppose to survive better with them, but again, the rate is so low (and the nerfs to PW:Shield so big overall) that even doing Twisting Corridors and having 5-6 of each mobs still smashed through shield like tissue paper. Both would need MAJOR buffs (heck, it feels like the generic obleron endurance is better at giving a HP boost than a class specific stamina buff anima…why?) Reflective shield would be good if it weren’t for shield just being overall abysmal amounts absorbed even with the buff animas. And needing to get 3 of them for 90%? What are we worried we might actually be a fun class to play in torghast or something?

Enduring Spirit might’ve been a good idea…but Vamp Embrace is NOT saving me in later layers on bosses and the like. When being 1-2 shot is on the table and Bloodgorged Leech is a high chance to heal 5% hp just all the time…why is my class thing ‘meh’ at best? A bit over 20 seconds of 50% healing from some of my damage? Why? The leech will heal me more often especially given the cooldown of VE.

Enchanted shroud…it isn’t bad but it is so minor? I don’t even know if it stacks cause even doing twisted corridors runs I’ve only ever seen it once. 10% isn’t bad but again, as we go up in layers it doesn’t matter. If it stacks sure, but why do we seem to have to stack up SO MANY animas so many times to even make them usable.

Scales of Trauma again for shadow seems confusing, are they wanting us to weave shadow mends in? If we are taking enough damage we feel the need to heal we are dead. Bosses and the like aren’t tickling us, shield is trash, and we have no armor. Does anyone actually play priest and go “yep, I’ll totally stop damage on the stacking damage boss thing to heal myself, that’ll get him” Similarly that it only applies bonus damage to the next Mind Blast feels INCREDIBLY weak, and you’d have to take a large amount of damage to make it effective, and as shadow your mend isn’t exactly SUPER POTENT. So basically you need Flashbox to get the most effectiveness, or all three animas, and take a bunch of damage, or try to not use mind blast to save up the damage? It just doesn’t jive with shadow’s playstyle.

Venthyr specific ones are…I don’t even know. Faster cast of mind games and more reversed? That’d be nice but the duration is relatively low still. The door of shadow ones aren’t bad but even with Gnarled Key you still have a fairly weighty cooldown. 3% chance to infect enemies with mindgames when you get hit? Whys that a blue? Thats so low of a chance.

Theres a few good ones mixed, but honestly going into torghast as a priest just feels bad when you see other classes can get 1 or 2 animas and just feel amazing, whereas I’m here like “Hey look guys…my shield is still garbage but slightly fancier garbage…or a mawrat talent.” the number of times I’ve taken 75 or 300 phantas is way too high. It just feels like we need to get 5+ specific animas to really feel any power from our class animas, and even then they are middling usefulness and power at best due to how priests have been designed and the animas themselves feel like they were tuned/built with “that sound neat!” but noone actually seemed to bother to play a priest to see how they worked out.

23 Likes

I believe the generic powers are what made my twisting corridors layer 8 test on my hpriest so smooth, and that they translate to all three priest specs sounds convenient (since it’s mostly Power Word: Shield for survival, Fade+Phantasmal+reductions for an easy 10 sec CD off GCD boost, and pooling huge HP).

Also, I notice you posted this 5 hours ago, and I think we’re playing the same classes in Torghast at the same time >.> I was going over some things with you on my Havoc around when they released it, lol (Mernelle)

Since Catharstick is capped at 100% of my max HP, and Life Barrier buffed Power Word: Shield stacking based on max HP and Reflective Barrier made clearing early floors faster, I used all health increases + CC damage bonus + Censure stun (but scream would work fine) + all other things that scaled with it such as the guaranteed SW:P initial crit (works with Catharstick I guess) and crit damage bonus Obleron Venom. Venthyr powers scale very well with it. You only need 1 Catharstick for the one-shot, but more help clear earlier floors.

Absorbed damage looked to work with Catharstick, but not that other shadow-based 40% universal power.

I used Holy personally, and my Catharstick Shock dealt 6.68 million damage against floor 18 boss and it was a combo of maybe 4 or so spells, utilizing Mindgames end damage bonus as well.

Earlier floors (10+) ranged around maybe 900k to 2 mil Catharsticks to clear out minibosses / elites with mini CC combos. Holy Fire (or Mind Blast) scalers are helpful earlier, but the end bit will mostly be a huge Catharstick Shock.

Priest Mind Control power that gives you +15 phantasma “pickpocket” (works on Mawrats, they must have pockets lol) allows you to get essentially every last Broker Vendor power. Don’t bother smashing pots that are out of the way, as this is way faster/more efficient method of getting more than is even necessary.

Intellect is unnecessary for the later bits (but possibly helpful earlier on) since your most important damaging effects scale primarily with damage taken and maximum HP.

If you DO get Horrific Diction, though, and want to stack it up to make early floors less painful - then get to a break room. Check if there are pots, and do not smash these pots. Switch to Disc and/or Holy (whichever isn’t played) and cast Power Word: Solace and/or Holy Word: Chastise on those break room pots. If there are no break room pots, I wouldn’t worry about those spells.

Don’t forget to hit the more unusual word spells, like Barrier / Salvation.

Priest generic powers are so immensely powerful for both offense and defense at the same time so long as you get 1+ Catharstick and some CC damage bonus, it felt like bad luck wasn’t much of a factor, but you definitely need to utilize that hyper specific few spells in your kit plus taking whatever powers look like they’ll make sense for your burst+HP+shields.

Ensure, when entering + exiting Layer 8 twisting, to get yourself a run with an initial torment that spawns a mob out of combat.

You will use these mobs to build Catharstick and/or Scales of Trauma (mostly the former, like by far, though). You do not want to use Floor 17 miniboss, for example, to build because then you’re dealing with 3 million HP (you want to one shot those with Catharstick too, and they can build their own quickly that you one-shot CC combo them with).

Hyperefficiency: make this macro -

/cancelaura focused will
/cancelaura insert any other torghast damage reduction removable buff

Spam this toward the later levels when mobs can’t even break through your Power Word: Shields and you actually want to take damage faster, due to being so tanky.

Also, Power Word: Shield your Phantasmal fade duder for more reflection if you know he’ll die either way, and throw flash heals/heals his way if you’re trying to pool a CC combo for a nearby elite!

Good luck on maw mounts either way, though! I definitely recommend giving priests a whirl in there, as it was pretty fun to build for the heck of it

4 Likes

nice post. Though i already have maw mount from my main. So i’m just doing this for new experience

Yeah I think we both got that initially on our DHs. In hindsight, I’m now thinking Havoc may actually be one of the more difficult Torghast soloing specs, lol. The specs I’ve personally tested are few, though.

Just wanna mention you can only get this one while you have an active source of holy damage. What happens most often is you pick up the shield reflect power, which deals holy damage, and then that lets this one show up. Still bad though.

3 Likes

Really all you need is the fade-clone ability and then the one that reduces fade cd. A few stacked painwheel and catharstick and you’re set at least for teh first layer of twisting corridor, god help you for higher layers.

5 Likes

I think people are overreacting a bit. I think priest powers are relatively decent compared to others. They are in NO Shape or form weak as we have one of the easiest times doing twisting corrs and torgh in general and literally every person that isnt a priest when they see our powers usually is like wow why cant i get stuff like that. Only power i hate with an absolute passion is puppet masters one. Besides that everything has a use.

Scales of trauma works best with flashbox and the instant cast shadowmend for phantasma power. Throw in the perma +% mb dmg after destroying breakable jars. All that goes bananas when you have the instant mb power when using PI.

Stacking catharsticks is also key, couple with red hot mind poker and as many painwheels as possible.

Fade clone and reduced cd powers.

Cheesing horrific dictionary is insane, i think you get something like 150% int from it.

Also much as the fade clone is good (one of the best IMO) the fact that the mobs that have AOE casts can still hit you with it even if you have the Bottled Enigma too is weird.

Doing twisting nearly died constantly even having over 100k hp because the AOE cast still hit me and the boss would smash the clone immediately. It again was having 3 bloodgorged leeches NOT having any shield powers that was saving me. Even with shield I’d get knocked down near death every time toward the end (thank god for fade damage reduction conduit).

I also dislike that at some point they changed it so reapplying pain in any way (via Misery or via direct cast) seems to use up the Catharstick so it seemed like it became impossible to actually save it up unless you literally don’t use Pain at that point.

Definitely can’t use SW:Death stuff hardly at all though once you’re sitting on like 2 horrific dictionaries, a bunch of soul remnants, and any of the elethium that boosts damage. The backlash would probably outright kill you if you aren’t 100% sure you will get the kill.

yeah the clone is great at low layers. it’s useless at higher floors in higher layers. even regular mobs can kill it in a few hits, so if you pull 3-4 mobs you can expect it die within a second or two max.

i noticed this yesterday with SN… that triggers Catharstick too, which makes killing mawrats or the walking gloves a huge hassle

I had my first catharstick today and used Misery (vt makes sw:p active) as a talent. Never lost catharstick. Held it till the last boss.

What didn’t work for me was stacking. I picked up a second catharstick but it didn’t display any additional stored damage on the buff icon even after going through another floor - I’d check after each pull since it didn’t work the way I thought it would (I don’t think that the tooltip indicates that it’s capped to your health total).

Cath stick only increases the percent of damage taken. Not the max dam. It would be so busted otherwise

1 Like

stacking catharstick is still great… i’ve had as much as 5 stacks, so every bit of damage you take you can send right back out with SWP

and I don’t remember for sure on misery, but I am 100% positive using SN triggers catharstick

Don’t other classes get Spec specific powers? Weird that all of the Priest powers are generic.

2 Likes

the word power is pretty good, depending on where you get it you can swap specs to cast every word spell then go back to shadow. also stacks giving you an insane amount of int which scales up generic powers like the shadow dot. but yeah most of the priest stuff is generic powers or all spec power. when i cleared TC i always defaulted to the same build: max hp, max shield, shield reflect, catharstick as high as it’d go and i’d just kill everything with its own damage. doesnt help a lot of the shadow word death powers have buggy interactions with each other so a sw:d build doesnt really work.

Cruelty Censer stacking, plus any anima powers that extend Scream duration and damage break %age. Dot up, pop Psychic Scream, and your dots melt enemies in seconds, end of run bosses included.

1 Like