Shadow Priest Animation (Devouring Plague)

Can Devouring Plague PLEASE get its animation updated? It literally has one of the most antiquated spell animations in the game. Even the new affliction warlock spells got new animations, WHY does devouring plague look so bad??

There are literally tons of shadowy/void spell animations for NPCs from throughout BFA and even Legion that could be used for devouring plague. I really don’t get why devouring plague was brought to the game as one of shadow priest’s core spells with no thought to the animation at all.

Honestly on a wider note, why are there so many npc animations that could be used to replace ugly class animations (I’m looking at you elemental shamans), yet they remain unused?

4 Likes

All of the current visuals for shadow suck. Shadowform being the worst of them.

9 Likes

I mean… how many animations do we actually see? mindflay/mind seer? Everything else its just little puffs of smoke on the target. Once the raid starts you don’t even see that usually. We really could use some shadowy things flying all over the place.

(SHADOWY NOT VOID TENTACLES)

:carrot:

3 Likes

The ability mechanics are fine but it’s thematics are stupid. It should have been something like “Shadow Word: Devour”. It doesn’t have any “plague” mechanics and even if it did a plague doesn’t fit the Shadow Priest concept.

It’s just a remnant of Priest racial spells(undead) they decided to recycle.

3 Likes

It gets the name plague, because the ability is classified as a disease and not magic debuff

4 Likes

We can’t even get glyphs for shadowform, so I really don’t see devouring plague getting love anytime soon. I salute you for trying though.

The trash mobs in the Nzoth assaults last xpac had better shadow animations than spriests do to this day!

4 Likes

Frankly I really enjoy having few spell animations. Always liked it in WoD when in PvP you could attack a target and they didn’t automatically know exactly where I was and what was hitting them.

3 Likes

Right? It is actually ridiculous, I don’t understand why blizzard cares more about trash mobs spell animations than the classes…

2 Likes

How about we get Glyph of Starshards for DP?

1 Like

I would love to see the mind spike animation come back in some way. It never hit super hard, but it looked so evil and torturous. Shadow Crash looks absolutely wack IMO. That was a wasted opportunity to get some voidy/shadowy stuff floating around to target. The big clunky diamond looks so bad and doesn’t match the “motif” of shadow priests

4 Likes

I think thematically it fits shadow to not have crazy animations. They’re attacking the minds of enemies and corrupting their reality while causing pain. Seems much like a damage from within thing.

2 Likes

I would also like to fling more purple stuff at my targets; we could use some QOL stuff with our spell effects.

I’ll also echo the fact that Shadowform looks like butts right now. Please at least give us glyphs for past (or new) Shadowform appearances; I liked the Glyph of Shadow in legion, where you could actually see your mog and everything was just a light purple shade.

4 Likes

I agree, DP needs a better animation and also agree with others that Shadow form needs a barber shop option like druids. So we can pick the shadow form we want from any of the expansions. Even the glyph versions as well.

3 Likes

I still want the tentacle void portal thing Xanesh uses.

There were lots of cool void animations in Ny’Alotha and we got none of them :expressionless:

Super lame

2 Likes

Can it get a damage buff while we’re at it? :wink:

2 Likes