Shadow Paladins

Paladins are basically priests with warrior flavor. There are shadow priests within the class. Therefore it should stand to reason there can be shadow paladins.

The first instinct is to say that death knights are basically shadow paladins but I disagree because lore dictates that death is the enemy of void on the cosmic chart (see Alleria, Sylvanas comic and other lore)

Now if I can bring you that far, I then argue that void elves can be paladins if the proper lore groundwork can be laid.

Nobody: “So what your saying is you want to RP as an Alliance High Elf Paladin in Shadowlands?”

Me: “Yes please.”

5 Likes

I’ve been asking for shadow paladins for forever, if 4th specs ever becoming a thing for all classes, shadow paladin is what I want (or a ranged holy dps, but that could probably go to priests instead)

Shadow and holy seem a bit counteractive to me

2 Likes

Shadow Paladins are death knights. I mean we hone the shadow and frost Magic’s and diseases.

1 Like

go tell that to priests.

you have DEATH and frost magic.

the cosmology chart in chronicle shows that shadow and death are two different things, deathknights have nothing to do with the void.

Uhhh…looks at all of my abilities and diseases dealing frost and SHADOW damage.

damage type means basically nothing.

As have been mentioned priest have a shadow spec. So i do agree with the OP

1 Like

So do you have Avenging Wrath, or divine shield? What about templars verdict what about hammer of wrath? No…

Then you are not paladins. You are a death knight the anti paladin. I do agree with the OP that paladins should get a shadow spec.

A Paladin is a holy warrior, no? For the light?

Idk. To each their own, but a shadow Paladin doesn’t make sense to me.

5 Likes

Aren’t priest holy casters yet they are given a shadow spec.

Because priest is the definition of the light vs void.

And the only reason undead can be priests is because of the shadow spec.

4 Likes

Priests are not Paladins

Paladins, thematically, do not have the duality priests do.

8 Likes

A Paladin who forsakes their code ceases to be a paladin.

The Scarlet Crusade has a couple of ex-paladins dedicated to training new paladins who join the organization. Although paladins keep joining — and some are already a part of — the Scarlet Crusade, few can balance their commitment to the Light with the dark deeds done by the Scarlet Crusade, so few keep their holy status. Most abandon the teachings of the Light and find their abilities changing to suit their new mindsets

Even the most honorable paladins can fall prey to the temptations of the Lich King. Some who devote themselves to his cause become the horrors known as death knights — elite members of the Scourge who lead the Lich King’s armies.

This is the call of the paladin: to protect the weak, to bring justice to the unjust, and to vanquish evil from the darkest corners of the world. These holy warriors are equipped with plate armor so they can confront the toughest of foes, and the blessing of the Light allows them to heal wounds and, in some cases, even restore life to the dead.

(A Paladin’s powers come exclusively from the Light.)

Paladins don’t always have to work within good or neutral organizations, as seen by the Scarlet Crusade and others; however, they do have to believe they are working for good organizations or have faith that their cause is good and just. Paladins can be evil (as illustrated by Renault Mograine and Arthas, before he took up Frostmourne), but as long as they believe their cause to be just, the Light will continue to serve them.

Once a Paladin no longer calls upon the Light, they definitionally cease to be a Paladin.

Priests have varying definitions, but Paladins have a specific code and specific Orders. They are more than just armored individuals who wield the Light.

Contrast the Paladin’s specific code and orders with this:

Priests are devoted to the spiritual, and express their unwavering faith by serving the people. For millennia they have left behind the confines of their temples and the comfort of their shrines so they can support their allies in war-torn lands. In the midst of terrible conflict, no hero questions the value of the priestly orders.

5 Likes

Hunters have pets.

It doesn’t mean they get to summon demons

Rogues can go into stealth

It doesn’t mean they get cat form

Paladins aren’t Priests.

Just because one class can use shadow magic doesn’t mean the other can (or should)

Shadow Paladins are a terrible idea.

6 Likes

Now comparing 2 different classes that do not have the same source of power is just stupid. The reason why I compared priest and paladins as their power comes from the same source the light.

Hunters have no power other than their pets and the skills they have mastered with their weapons. So no they would not be able to control demons. And rogues and catform again its stupid to compare classes that do not have the same power base.

All paladins are is a Martial branch of priest. So again I do agree with the op that Paladins should have a shadow builds.

From the WoW website:

Priests are devoted to the spiritual, and express their unwavering faith by serving the people. For millennia they have left behind the confines of their temples and the comfort of their shrines so they can support their allies in war-torn lands. In the midst of terrible conflict, no hero questions the value of the priestly orders.

This is the call of the paladin: to protect the weak, to bring justice to the unjust, and to vanquish evil from the darkest corners of the world. These holy warriors are equipped with plate armor so they can confront the toughest of foes, and the blessing of the Light allows them to heal wounds and, in some cases, even restore life to the dead.

Priests are only, definitionally, spiritual leaders. Paladins, to contrast, are holy warriors.

This is not true. While many of the first paladins may have been priests, they are not just priests in armor. To be a “Paladin” is to belong to one of a handful of very specific Holy orders. Priests need not belong to the Argent Dawn, the Silver Hand, or the Blood Knights – they do not cease being priests. But a paladin without their Order (and without the Light) is not a Paladin.

To list some of the Orders:

Prelates - Zandalari
Blood Knights - Sin’dorei
Sunwalkers - Tauren
Vindicators - Draenei
Silver Hand/Argent Dawn - Human/Dwarf

Look at Delas Moonfang, for instance (from the Paladin Order Hall in Legion). She was a Priest. She didn’t become a paladin once she put on armor; she became a paladin once she was inducted into the Silver Hand.

5 Likes

I agree. Now stop doing it.

5 Likes

Again I compaired priest and paladin because they have the same source of power which is the light.

You were compairing classes that did not have the same power source. So again take your own advice and stop it. and if your going to use my quote use the full quote not just part of it.

There fixed what I was trying to say in the peace you quoted.

Blockquote

Did you not compare two different classes?

Did you not say that doing so is stupid?

Who is it that is cherry picking here?

Just because you want there to be shadow Paladins doesn’t mean there should be

2 Likes