Shadow Hunters and Dead Loa

Hello all!

Slowly coming back to the RP-side of WoW after a couple years hiatus. The last time I really RP’ed was in 2017, with my Troll Hunter (RP’d as a Shadow Hunter), who was a devout follower of Shadra, and I led the guild/IC Organization “The Atal’shadra”.

Well that guild has since disbanded and as I’m catching up on the storylines (I’m current now) - lo and behold, the Atal’shadra became Canon and went all evil.

So - I’m updating my character, and since his “Patron Loa” is now dead, I had a few questions. In lore, it seems that Shadow Hunters either devote themselves to all/multiple Loa, or focus on one. If they focus on one, I’m wondering what you all might have as far as thoughts on “switching” Loa - how another Loa may react to someone who followed their rival their entire lives suddenly wanting them to be their patron, for example.

Haven’t decided what direction to take ol’ Jupal’jin in yet, but I’m really enjoying the process of updating him, since what happened with the Atal’shadra will make for some great backstory.

I imagine in part the disposition of the Loa in question would have a lot to do with that’s Loa’s personality. Given that a Loa’s power, and to some extent livelihood, is seemingly based on or at least influenced by the devotion of their followers I imagine they probably wouldn’t outright turn away new devotees, regardless of background. I presume some manner of test would be in order; something to prove the individual’s faith and loyalty, as well as perhaps worthiness. That seems like it would universally make the most sense, especially if the individual’s background was well known. One would presumably want to know if their followers are genuine, especially if they’re empowering them. If the two Loa were opposed I imagine the test or task might be of greater magnitude for a longtime devotee of the rival.

In part I wonder more about the follower than the one being followed. There is after all more to serving a Loa than just power; or at least I’d like to think that is most commonly the case. Since each Loa has their set of preferences and values one would assume that someone seeking their favor would also strongly share those. For someone devoted to a singular Loa I imagine it would be a tremendously difficult choice to follow another in response to the death of the one they were originally devoted to; especially given that Loa have been known to return from that, especially Shadra, though I’m not sure how common that knowledge would be among the Trolls.