Shadow AoE help

I’m having a bit of trouble with my aoe rotation

Mostly having trouble knowing when to swap between mindbender/mindblast and mind sear/nightmare spam

7+ targets or higher you move on to searing nightmare spam

I’m assuming anything less than 7 targets means simply multi-dot?

There is a whole priority listing of what you cast/drop at certain target numbers and depending on what talents you have, etc. on WoWHead and IcyVeins but I found it hard to keep track of. This might not be “optimal” but it’s easier to get you comfortable with SPriest AoE and then worry about min-maxing it, otherwise you’ll just be confused and do bad DPS too.

6-7+ Targets
Just SN Spam. If you’re in Void Form then It’s VB, SN, SN, VB. MIght be good to mix in Shadow Crash if you have it, not sure on that one.

Less than 6-7 Targets
Only MindBender Available
Cast Mindbender and cast MindBlast and SWD as available, otherwise Mind Sear/SN as filler. Cast Shadow Crash whenever available. If you get a MindBlast proc while doing your SN spam and aren’t low on Insanity you can try fitting it in as a 3rd spell during the channel - which is generally a no no with SN but seems smoother with MBlast for some reason.

Mindbender + Void Form Available
Shadow Crash, SN to get SWP ticking, Mindbender, SWD, MindBlast, Void Form, and then I just do a Single Target rotation on the priority target since I almost always use Hungering Void. Mind Blasts, SWD, and Void Bolt keep me busy with barely enough time to dump Insanity via DP let alone SN. If you don’t have Hungering Void then you can probably afford to dump insanity with SN.

1 Like

Not really, this is assuming were still talking about Mindbender
Check the above though, Dastion runs through it better than I did

Shadow crash, especially during voidform because of the free mastery, is a massive amount of damage, and getting off early in the pull when you still have first strike or or carvers eye active is key to doing good damage.

Besides that this is a decent quick and dirty summary to do damage and shadow with minimal effort. If I may add a few things though, which don’t really raise the complexity too much.

1: position forwards with the tank, so you spend as little time as possible running into range of the next pull.
2: get your VTs out as your tank goes in, as long as he isnt doing a multi pull that would require you to avoid gaining any threat at all.
3: Make sure you have full insanity from the pull beforehand, so you can actually press searing nightmare before its all dead
4: If you have voidform and the pull is gonna be quite short, skip VT completely outside of prepull and just dump your most effective damage spells 1 after the other. (VT Erupt crash sear SN SN sear SN SN)
5: Be comfortable providing priority damage to large mobs where necessary instead of just padding.

1 Like