Selling of accounts - Is it common?

:money_with_wings: :wave:

PS: Blizz says Ive talked to you too much here.

4 Likes

years ago I was stupid and bought an account through Player auctions and was scammed a pile of cash, they got their account back and I was out a few hundred dollars. If I were you play is safe and never buy gold, boosting services or accounts…too many scammers out here

I think your opening post answered your own question, OP …

Not really. I think he was just “lucky” to meet two in a row.

I would guess when WoW was fun it was common but I can’t see anyone in their right mind wanting to buy into the dumpster fire we have going on right now.

I have been seeing ads popping up on edges Home Screen promoting selling accounts. I even sent a screenshot to hacks@bilzzard, but it seems they don’t care. The ads have only increased in frequency. It is quite funny to see an ad selling blizzard accounts with a picture of a snow plow.

Blizzard is not the world police. They can’t make someone in Russia (for example) shut down their website.

They can only control what happens in their own world (of Warcraft.)

1 Like

True, but selling accounts is a violation of the IP they own. A simple cease and desist from their lawyers would probably do the trick.

2 Likes

The buyers of accounts are being very stupid.
All the seller has to do is report their account was stolen. The account will get frozen,
and handed back to the seller. Of course the buyer does not get their money back.

1 Like

Again, a “simple” cease and desist letter sent to someone in Russia is going right into the fire pit.

Blizzard isn’t god. All they can do is wait for the person that bought the account to do something that gives them away.

1 Like

Twenty thousand you say? I mean… this is terrible and no one should be selling their accounts.

2 Likes

I don’t remember the details, but I remember back during BC days someone sold their account for (I wanna say) a couple thousand dollars. It came with a rogue in full tier Black Temple gear and Blizzard banned it within a couple hours of the buyer paying for it.

Was pretty funny at the time.

Found an old story - https://www.engadget.com/2007-09-16-rogue-with-twin-blades-of-azzinoth-sells-account-for-almost-10.html

That was more money than I thought o.o

2 Likes

The guy that had the only lime green mechanostrider sold his account and it was immediately banned. It’s like… how stupid can you be? Something that unique stands out.

3 Likes

Again, you are correct. Even with people like me giving them notifications of what’s happening, Blizzard chooses to punish the victims (meaning the purchasers who truly didn’t know) of the scam instead of the perpetrators, thereby giving a green light for the bots, cheaters, and account sellers to keep on trucking.

That really does sound like the current state of Blizzard. It’s sad but probably true.

if it ever becomes sanctioned i will sell mine in a heartbeat i remember years ago i had my account appraised just out of curiosity buy one of those account selling sights it was estimated to be worth over 4000$ but that was in cata and a lot of that value has been diminished due to changes in the game

ROFL I really hope you don’t believe that.

The poor, poor soul that went to a shady website to buy an account didn’t do nuffin wrong.

3 Likes

People do all sorts of dumb things. Remember the bans of vanilla where people would pay for “services” of other people grinding out your pvp rank? We had a Grand Marshal on my server lose his account for that. First he paid them, then they stole his account, he complained and Blizzard gave it back only to immediately ban it.

2 Likes

You do know why you get so many scam phone calls, right?

They work, there are that many “suckers” among us.

I seem to remember it being pretty common back in vanilla. It’s relatively easy to level and gear a character now, so you’d think the demand isn’t really there these days.

Oh my goodness, you say that and all I can think of now are those people who went NUTS over beanie babies back in the day. “They’re so valuable, so worth the investment!”

Today you can get about 50 garbage bags full of them for like a quarter :laughing:

Er, I’m not saying you personally. Just that’s how Wow accounts value aged as well.

3 Likes